1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xanthan

Re: 1.12 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by xanthan »

I'm really enjoying this campaign-- lovely story and new features. The novelty and interest level is excellent.

My issues so far are with the world map. One feature request and one problem:
- when setting up marching order, it'd be nice to see the level of each character.

- I really like this feature, but it's not clear what the goal is. I went to the the mine entrance a couple of times, as it's the only thing that looks like it might get me to the west part of the map. Nothing happened, however. So now I'm wandering around the entire map visiting every tree in hopes that it might be the forest that I'm looking for. I really need a clue about what I'm supposed to do here. Also, I'm racking up a lot of experience and money-- probably much more than I should be. I suspect their might be a balance issue there.

Lots of excellent work here! Congratulations on the awesomeness you've created, and thanks for sharing it.
BeardyUnixer

Post by BeardyUnixer »

I've just finished playing the latest version, on Trunk, on easy. This was my favourite campaign maybe half a decade ago, and I'm amazed at how much better it is now.

As you progress through the campaign, you wonder who the good guy is, and by the time you reach the end, the only thing you're sure of is that it isn't you. If there is a good guy at all, it's Athanta and the Orcs. Which is good - the treatment of Orcs in Wesnoth is eye-rolling for the most part. The art is top notch, and all the plot holes of yore have been plugged.

It's more difficult than it used to be. There was a time "It's too hard, go play random encounter" worked - but the random encounters are harder now. The no healing between them makes up most of the difference, I think. It's pretty consistently balanced, it just has a higher base difficulty than it used to. Whether that's a good, bad, or neutral thing is another matter...though per the post above, maybe anyone having trouble will do all their levelling at the start.

The only exception to consistent balancing is 2_06_Gate, which is trivial. There is an #ifdef that sets the "turn before you're allowed to run" to 4 for easy. That's too soon. It should be 6 like normal. The starting unit difference is enough to make it easy, setting it to allow runaways from turn 4 makes it trivial. For what it's worth, I did test this, it's not just conjecture, though on the other hand, I'm only one player.

There were a few bugs though:

It is not possible to finish 2_07_Salvation. Once Belleros reaches the Monolith, he's taken inside, it remains the Ukian turn, but you can't move anything, or click end turn. I debugged out of this to progress.

In 2_07_Control, when crossing the bridge, some units die. I'm not sure why, I looked at the WML, and I'm still not sure why. This fits thematically, but the deaths were random as far as I could tell, so maybe it was a bug. I did look in the WML but didn't see where it was happening.

The skirmishes between the roaming orc riders between 2_01_Trouble and 2_02_MineMouth are broken. It complains about [generator], and I had a look and it seems you've already tried to fix this. The code is a bit...my code looks like that after a few years too...so I don't see what the problem is, though it goes away eventually - I'm not sure exactly when, since you can avoid the orcs for the most part after that.

- I really like this feature, but it's not clear what the goal is. I went to the the mine entrance a couple of times, as it's the only thing that looks like it might get me to the west part of the map. Nothing happened, however. So now I'm wandering around the entire map visiting every tree in hopes that it might be the forest that I'm looking for.
You may have overestimated the amount of Westness required. It's about five north and fifteen west of Korkath - a keep in the middle of some ice between two woods.
xanthan

Post by xanthan »

You may have overestimated the amount of Westness required. It's about five north and fifteen west of Korkath - a keep in the middle of some ice between two woods.
Interesting. I went there before [72,8], and just tried again as well. Also restarted the whole world map scenario from scratch and went there once more.

Nothing happens there.

What should I expect? I will try to debug this.
BeardyUnixer

Post by BeardyUnixer »

Have you done Korkath? I just checked the WML, and you have to do that first - but you should still get a line of speech from Lorenzon. Korkath doesn't appear in your objectives, Lorenzon just mentions it as you get close.

I am playing trunk and the 1.13 addon so this might have changed between your version and mine, but it seems unlikely - it's been basically the same for years.

If you have done Korkath, and it still doesn't work, are we talking about the same point in the game? There are two points you have to flee to the trees...your objectives are "Flee to the forest west of Gornath.", right? If not, you need to be heading South.

And if neither of those things pan out, you'll have to hope Doofus has some idea, because I don't. I've been away so long I can't even remember my old username, nevermind the intricacies of scripting.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

xanthan wrote:Interesting. I went there before [72,8], and just tried again as well. Also restarted the whole world map scenario from scratch and went there once more.

Nothing happens there.

What should I expect? I will try to debug this.
BeardyUnixer wrote:Have you done Korkath? I just checked the WML, and you have to do that first - but you should still get a line of speech from Lorenzon. Korkath doesn't appear in your objectives, Lorenzon just mentions it as you get close.
Yes, this is correct. (Assuming we are talking about the first worldmap scenario.)
xanthan wrote:- I really like this feature, but it's not clear what the goal is. I went to the the mine entrance a couple of times, as it's the only thing that looks like it might get me to the west part of the map. Nothing happened, however.
There are a few side-quests, but the campaign is more linear than you might be thinking, unfortunately. Only a few places on the map actually do anything in each scenario. You can't get to the west half until Part 3.
xanthan wrote: Also, I'm racking up a lot of experience and money-- probably much more than I should be. I suspect their might be a balance issue there.
There could be. I wish to leave it so that it is possible for the player to build up forces, but lots of grinding away at it isn't required to get through the real scenarios.
BeardyUnixer wrote:The only exception to consistent balancing is 2_06_Gate, which is trivial. There is an #ifdef that sets the "turn before you're allowed to run" to 4 for easy. That's too soon. It should be 6 like normal. The starting unit difference is enough to make it easy, setting it to allow runaways from turn 4 makes it trivial. For what it's worth, I did test this, it's not just conjecture, though on the other hand, I'm only one player.
That scenario does need work, I'll keep that in mind.
BeardyUnixer wrote:There were a few bugs though:
Thanks for letting me know. I'm still working my way through Part2, but I'll try to have those fixed soon(ish).

Thanks, both of you.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

BMR version 1.9.0 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. There were some additions to the equipment list, but the major change is that new recruits are severely limited. This makes the RPG-ish aspects of the campaign more sensible, but obviously screws up the balancing as there isn't really anymore cannon-fodder. I've play-tested up to half-way through the Guardian scenario in P2 (undead in the Copper Mine), and it does change things, but I'll work on adjustments. Some of the problems with Part 3 are not yet fixed, I hope to get that done soon.
BeardyUnixer wrote:The skirmishes between the roaming orc riders between 2_01_Trouble and 2_02_MineMouth are broken. It complains about [generator], and I had a look and it seems you've already tried to fix this. The code is a bit...my code looks like that after a few years too...so I don't see what the problem is, though it goes away eventually - I'm not sure exactly when, since you can avoid the orcs for the most part after that.
I believe this is fixed now.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.9.1 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. I've tested/adjusted up to the start of scenario "Hateful River" in Part 3. I think that scenario needs to be revised in light of the new limited-recruit mechanism.

Archaic Resources has also been updated. Now the black water graphics in the Belleros vs. Echidna scenario near the end of Part 3 shouldn't look like broken crap with the new water graphics.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.9.2 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. The "Hateful River" scenario in Part 3 has been updated and revised a bit, that is the main change. There a few minor changes to the weapons/armor inventory objects as well.

Archaic Resources is also updated, new version is needed for this BMR update.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.9.3 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. I've tested it up to worldmap between the White Peaks (trolls) scenario and the Snow Blind scenario, and done some small graphics updates to Mt. Tien scenario. There were also some small text-string corrections to Parts 1 and 2.

Regarding translations: It's been brought to my attention that most of the claimed translations for this add-on may be empty. They were added automatically through WesCamp years ago, when it was on Berlios. There are .mo files, but I don't have the .po files, so the translated strings are probably outdated anyway. WesCamp is dead, so for the small chance that anyone has translated anything through WesCamp in the last couple of years, please send your .po files directly to the add-on's forum thread or author. I've updated the .pot file in the translations folder.

I'm going to update the top post of this thread.
Chewan

Re: 1.12/1.13 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by Chewan »

refers to BMR 1.9.3 (for BfW 1.13 dev):

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
Bad_Moon_Rising/_main.cfg
Macro/file 'ARCHAIC_EVENTS_TOP' is missing
at ~add-ons\\Bad_Moon_Rising\\_main.cfg:90

Where do I find the missing file?
All required dependencies are installed – no such error report with BMR1.8.6b (BfW 1.12)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

That macro is defined in Archaic Era, has been for a quite a while. Were you using the BfW 1.12 version of the era, by any chance? That won't work.
I hope there isn't something strange with the server going on here.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

Were you using the BfW 1.12?
Sure thing … and, as a matter of fact, I forgot to download the 1.13 dependencies. :doh:
The server works as fine as ever – thanks for the speedy answer!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.9.4 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. I tested it up to most of the way through scenario Death with Dignity. There were some minor fixes, but the weirdness noted by BeardyUnixer
It is not possible to finish 2_07_Salvation. Once Belleros reaches the Monolith, he's taken inside, it remains the Ukian turn, but you can't move anything, or click end turn. I debugged out of this to progress.
is mostly fixed. This campaign will now probably not work well with BfW versions 1.13.4 or earlier, it needs 1.13.5 or later.

Here are the issues I noted.

1. BMR1-intro (fixed)
error display: could not open image 'portraits/humans/transparent/pikeman.png'
error gui/draw: Image: 'portraits/humans/transparent/pikeman.png~BLIT(misc/pikeman-kthon-eyes.png,0,0)' not found and won't be drawn.
error gui/draw: Image: 'portraits/humans/transparent/pikeman.png~BLIT(misc/pikeman-kthon-eyes.png,0,0)' not found and won't be drawn.

2. Primeval_Sandals MovePoints modifications -> fixed.

3. This error is from unit data that was written in earlier BfW core data, is not an error in campaign. Affects campaigns started in earlier BfW versions:
Invalid WML found: The backstab= key in weapon specials is deprecated; use [filter_adjacent] instead

4. BMR3 - Strange Salvation scenario - fixed side 1 being given to AI after cave is opened.

5. BMR3 - Death with Dignity - beach graphics of black water are glitched, but won't fix for now.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Have started part 2 of the campaign and the farm dogs can´t level up from level 0 to level 1. Have at the moment a dog with 30 xp(13 xp over the necessary amount to level up) and only at that moment did i recognize this bug. Playing with BfW version 1.13.4.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for reporting, ahmannar.

It's not really a bug, I think, since I wanted to avoid having Ukian combat units in that scenario. They should get transformed at the end of the scenario, so the XP isn't wasted. I guess I could give them really high required XP, so the player doesn't reach the limit.