1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.12 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

1.8.7 has been uploaded to BfW 1.13 (development) server for the first time. I tested Part 1, which works until the very end, at which point there is an error, but I'm not sure it is the campaign that is the problem. Part 2 seems to work, but I didn't test it very extensively yet, so there may be issues.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
GodlyDragon

Post by GodlyDragon »

Hi doofus-01, I'm just here to says that the inventory system don't work on 1.13
Also, the shop work again on 1.12

Continue your great work!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

GodlyDragon wrote:inventory system don't work on 1.13
Woops, thanks for letting me know. I just uploaded a fix, 1.8.7.a. It seems to work now.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
GodlyDragon

Post by GodlyDragon »

It's me again, on 1.13, the inventory system work only in the first playable scenario in part 2, after that, when I click on the Unit Status button, nothing shows up, could you fix it please?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

GodlyDragon wrote:It's me again, on 1.13, the inventory system work only in the first playable scenario in part 2, after that, when I click on the Unit Status button, nothing shows up, could you fix it please?
Hi GodlyDragon,
It works for me, so I'm having trouble reproducing this (again). So, unfortunately, this will not be a quick fix. I will work on it this weekend.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.8.8 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. I made some changes to the skirmish maps and the enemy units on the world-map. I used the Lurker MicroAI, but I think that will need to be changed.

I made some very small correction to the inventory system, but I have no idea if it is still a problem. It works fine for me.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I tried to play this campaign on 1.13 and i noticed:
  • In the first cutscene of chapter 1 you get a lua error about [gear_item] not beeing defined
  • you use [effect]s to remove gear items. This can be problematic. For example you have an item1 that adds 10 damage and another item that adds 25% damage. Assume you first equip item1 then equit item2 then unequip item1 then unequip item2, then the new damage will be ((((old_damage+10)*5/4)-10)*4/5) which is equivalent to old_damage+2, i wanst able to 'cheat' this way in you campaign becasue i didnt found suitable item so this ia rather theoretical issue but still.
  • i get messages like '<Lua> is wrong type to wear the .., sending to inventory'. These look like debug messages beecause tehy are prefixed with 'lua'. You could for example use the units name as a prefix and change the message to 'I can't equip .. because i have the wrong type' or similar.
  • The inventory list is only a scrollbar if there are no items in it.
What is the current status of this campaign? until which scnario is it completed and tested?
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

gfgtdf wrote:n the first cutscene of chapter 1 you get a lua error about [gear_item] not beeing defined
Indeed, I hadn't seen it there in all the useless warnings for that cutscene. I was more concerned that very few of the animations play, but I think it's skipping rather than obsolete WML. Who knows, maybe they're related...
gfgtdf wrote:you use [effect]s to remove gear items. This can be problematic. For example you have an item1 that adds 10 damage and another item that adds 25% damage. Assume you first equip item1 then equit item2 then unequip item1 then unequip item2, then the new damage will be ((((old_damage+10)*5/4)-10)*4/5) which is equivalent to old_damage+2, i wanst able to 'cheat' this way in you campaign becasue i didnt found suitable item so this ia rather theoretical issue but still.
Well, got to remove them somehow, and cheaters gonna cheat. Sounds like a good case for not using percentages, I found them annoying anyways.
gfgtdf wrote:i get messages like '<Lua> is wrong type to wear the .., sending to inventory'. These look like debug messages beecause tehy are prefixed with 'lua'. You could for example use the units name as a prefix and change the message to 'I can't equip .. because i have the wrong type' or similar.
Hrm, yeah. I guess I got too used to those.
gfgtdf wrote:The inventory list is only a scrollbar if there are no items in it.
Ugh, don't get me started on those [censored] scrollbars...

Thanks for the notices. Much of that I can fix for next time.
gfgtdf wrote:What is the current status of this campaign? until which scnario is it completed and tested?
It worked for me to the end in BfW 1.12, though I'm not sure the GUI2/Lua stuff was working for everyone. The BfW 1.13 version worked for me up to the second "real" scenario (Rescue) of Part2. I haven't retested after that yet.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

doofus-01 wrote:Well, got to remove them somehow, and cheaters gonna cheat.
This can of course also happen accidently, and it can ofc also decrease the statis if you do it in another order.
The 'usual' way to remove objects or effects form a unit (which is used for exampe by [object] duration= implementation, im my addon, and in LotI) is to remove the object from the units config and then let the game engine recaluclate the units statis from start. This has the disadvantage that all changes done manually via unit variable manipuiation and unstore unit willbe lost.

Also what exactly didnt work in teh second scenario?

Another issue:
the last changes updates where only on 1.13, does tih mena that you stopped developing that addon for 1.12.x?
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

gfgtdf wrote:The 'usual' way to remove objects or effects form a unit (which is used for exampe by [object] duration= implementation, im my addon, and in LotI) is to remove the object from the units config and then let the game engine recaluclate the units statis from start. This has the disadvantage that all changes done manually via unit variable manipuiation and unstore unit willbe lost.
I wrap the effects in an object as well. There's probably a way to do this anti-object stuff by function or formula, but I think the easiest thing is just to not mix multiplication and addition.
gfgtdf wrote:Also what exactly didnt work in teh second scenario?
Nothing, as far as I know. But I didn't have time to get through it yet, so I can't guarantee something bad won't pop up.
gfgtdf wrote:the last changes updates where only on 1.13, does tih mena that you stopped developing that addon for 1.12.x?
Yes. It works, as far as I know, and is complete. If I find out there is a problem, I will try to fix it, but now I will just stop messing with the BfW 1.12 version. This campaign is a little over 8 years old, and has been complete for most of that time. I continue to try, not always successfully, to make it better.
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

Hello,
First of all, I want to say that Bad Moon Rising is a nice and cool campaign.(even that I only had played to scenario 05 :P )
I was playing Bad Moon Rising version 1.8.8 in Wesnoth 1.13.1 and occured a bug,
In scenario Payback,chapter one after slaying Malevan,I didn't won the scenario and I got this lua error.
Here is it.
Here is it.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi ZIM,

Thanks for the report, I am pretty sure that is an engine bug, not a bug in this campaign. I was wondering how I failed to notice that, but then it does look familiar and it doesn't really block anything, so I think I was just going to see what happened in BfW 1.13.3. I did forget to mention it in this thread though.

By the way, you should update your BfW, since you are using an old development/unstable version. I'm not sure when 1.13.3 is coming out, but you'll run into bugs that may already be solved with your BfW 1.13.1.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.8.9 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13.2 server. There were some minor fixes addressing the things gfgtdf mentioned above, though I didn't mess with the equipment effects yet, so that equipping-unequipping calculation can still be wrong sometimes. I think it only shows up if you mix in equipping/unequipping swords, axes, spears, or bows (but not daggers) with the other items.

There is now a little status icon in the side-panel that tells whether a unit is using any equipment. It currently shows up for enemies too, I might change that.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

THe battle in BMR2 vs the Royal cavalery thats chasing you on the worldmap uses a normal day/night rythm
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, I will change that for next time.