1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nickanc

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by nickanc »

Flameslash wrote:Do a few skirmishes to build up some level 2 units first, then try again and try to keep all your units in one group. Use attack dogs if you've got any.
Yes, but also strategy is important. Other suggestions:
*There are units more useful at the beginning than others. The abilities allowing you to raise up more lvl2 units are leadership and healing: with a leader and a healer lvl1 units are less likely to die, so they can get more exp and kill more enemies -> winning (think of how to play with elves). Leadership is a feature of the Ukian Officer (advanced from Ukian Soldier, or how it is called), Healing is a feature of Ukian Seeress (advanced from Ukian Archer).
*Try to use in combo scouts and dogs: scouts have the ability to rise up attack and defense of dogs. Attack dogs are good in attack, but, being berserker, they arent a good defense. So, if you need defense, raise Harriers instead, while Attack dogs are good slayers: kill enemy leaders with them.
*Ukians are really better than common humans on snow.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

1.5.0 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.11.x server. Some data has been moved to "Archaic Resources" add-on, so that is an additional dependency. The campaigns seem to work, though there may be some bugs from this. I will fix as I become aware of them.

I have not touched the BfW 1.10.x version.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.10 and 1.11 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

So, I'm trying to update and clean this up, and I have a question for anyone who cares:

What is a good way to show an "upgrade" to a unit? Clearly, custom sprite & portrait graphics, as well as a unique help-screen is best, but let's put that aside as unrealistic (unless there is a way to modify the help screen without creating a new unit-type? If yes, the custom images are still unrealistic, but it is a start.)

Currently, in this campaign, these are shown as "traits", but the trait list in the side panel gets cut off after about 2 1/2 entries, so I'm not sure how helpful that is (most units start with 2 traits anyway).

The other way I see to do it is to modify the unit's description, which shows up when you mouse-over the unit-type in the side panel. While this doesn't get cut off, it might be too hidden. Is there a good way to deal with this? Is there an add-on that handles this gracefully, not using the two crap methods I mentioned or some right-click-menu salad?

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Dear doofus, as I am a great admirer of you work I give you my 5 cent.

For a advanced unit without new graphics I found a little star working best in the sprite. So technically it is a new sprite without much work. Stars could be placed like medals or crowns. A star in the size 3 to 5 pixel is already extremely easy to see.

I tried other things like overlays or different heads & hair but found this in general less useful. So I would recommend to put a star either on the shield the chest or above the head. Technically there should be place for up to 3 stars easily. I know it looks much like military ranks or so, but for practical reason I found it most feasible.

For the help text you could include a generic text, which you have to write down only one. "This is an advanced version of the base unit with better stats" or so.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Wussel wrote:For a advanced unit without new graphics I found a little star working best in the sprite. So technically it is a new sprite without much work. Stars could be placed like medals or crowns. A star in the size 3 to 5 pixel is already extremely easy to see.
I see. That could work, at least to alert the player that there is something special about the unit, then they can check the side-panel for details.

Thanks, Wussel.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Beseiged Druids might be a good campaign to check out regarding labeling units with abilities.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like he uses status, instead of trait, so I don't believe that's really much better though. Unless I'm missing something (quite possible).

After some thought, I think I'll just have to hold my nose and go with a right-click-menu, pseudo-help/status message. An unobtrusive, generic sprite overlay may still be good too. I hope to have an update this weekend.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

A reason why I did not use overlays is, that they stay with all animations, too.
If you put a star, it only has to go with the base frame standing png. It is ok, if the star disappears for animations (idle, attack, defense). I checked again and I use a 5 pixel star (3x3). Up to 3 stars can be easily distinguished and placed on any unit. That would give you 4 levels already.
One more option is to change the base stand. If you have more sprites you could have one with raised weapon and one with lowered weapon.
IoN

Post by IoN »

Just curious, how come Scarrion becomes almost entirely indoctrinated and Raenna retains most of her will? Is it just because she was stronger-willed to begin with?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hello IoN,

Nice to see you back, will you be stirring up the stagnant Music Forum?
IoN wrote:Just curious, how come Scarrion becomes almost entirely indoctrinated and Raenna retains most of her will? Is it just because she was stronger-willed to begin with?
Spoiler:
It wasn't my intention to make it a contrast in will-power, if it came across that way, then I need to work on it. I'm revising this for BfW 1.11+, so I will keep this in mind. Thanks.
IoN

Post by IoN »

Okay; keep up the good work! I've always been a fan of these campaigns and really love the storylines in them.

And I am working on some music things, not for Wesnoth right now though. I do have some ideas for Wesnoth music I'll get around to though.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.5.1 has been uploaded to the 1.11.x server. It has some improvements to the worldmap and equipment handling, though that area still needs some work. Skirmishes are very repetitive, but that should clear up with BfW 1.11.1. I've also made some fairly minor balance and cosmetic changes to things up to Part 2 : Scenario 'Royal Rumble'. I have plans to improve that scenario, but didn't get it done this time.
mousyack

Post by mousyack »

Part 1 is too difficult, if not impossible, on normal. During the first couple of scenarios you have to reload many times because with just 4 units at your disposal you're too susceptible to bad luck. One unlucky turn and you're dead. Those who don't reload but instead restart every time they loose, would restart quite a few times.

Then, in the "Darkside", I guess green was supposed to fight blue, but they both go after me instead no matter what I do. Green just completely ignores blue leader.

Edit: and the next scenario also calls for lots of reloads. No, this isn't what I'd call "well balanced".
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

mousyack wrote:Part 1 is too difficult, if not impossible, on normal. During the first couple of scenarios you have to reload many times because with just 4 units at your disposal you're too susceptible to bad luck.
Well, yeah... I'm not re-writing it.
mousyack wrote:Then, in the "Darkside", I guess green was supposed to fight blue, but they both go after me instead no matter what I do. Green just completely ignores blue leader.
Neither one is your ally, but they do fight each other every time I've tested it.
mousyack wrote:Edit: and the next scenario also calls for lots of reloads. No, this isn't what I'd call "well balanced".
I've tested and slightly revised it recently. It's not easy, wasn't supposed to be, and bad luck can certainly require reload, but each turn is short. No, I don't have much sympathy for you.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.5.2 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.11.x server. There is no single earth-shattering change in this update, but there are a number of minor changes that, when taken in total, I believe, justify an update. The update from BfW 1.11.0 to BfW 1.11.1 also solves some issues, so you should do that too.

I've tested this up through the end of Part II, and am fairly happy with it, except for the last scenario of Part II and the ghost skirmishes. I'll try to upgrade those in the next release.