1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Twenty-four

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by Twenty-four »

Playing 1.1.4a, on easy, having problem with part 3:
When the female ghost is attacking me (Skirmish), the game may go back to the main menu (couldn't find a unit or something like this, unfortunately the autosave for this has been overwritten) or I fight but only against the leader (I don't know if this is wanted, but there is a warning left on the top (autosaved game is overwritten so I can't exactly say what was said, something with x and y and unit that are missing).

So yeah, I think that are the bugs you announced... But you're right, it's possible to get around them.

Otherwise, I had no problems so far. Great campaign, great gameplay (with worldmap and little events) and fantastic, realistic story!
Only one little suggestion: The shop in the villages seems (for me) a little to expensive, so I've only once bought something. And I'm not sure if it really worked...
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Twenty-four wrote:When the female ghost is attacking me (Skirmish), the game may go back to the main menu (couldn't find a unit or something like this, unfortunately the autosave for this has been overwritten) or I fight but only against the leader (I don't know if this is wanted, but there is a warning left on the top (autosaved game is overwritten so I can't exactly say what was said, something with x and y and unit that are missing).

So yeah, I think that are the bugs you announced... But you're right, it's possible to get around them.
I haven't seen that yet, but it makes sense if the enemies get stored & read (and, unfortunately, erased) like any other variable such as the gold amount. If it is only happening during the worldmap & skirmishes, that does at least narrow things down. And now that you mention it, it may only happen with the ghosts...
Twenty-four wrote:Only one little suggestion: The shop in the villages seems (for me) a little to expensive, so I've only once bought something. And I'm not sure if it really worked...
The costs may indeed be too high. The effects are not easy to see because the help screen shows the unit type stats, not the stats of the particular unit you clicked on. If there is a way to change that, it would be nice, but I am unaware of it.

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.1.5 just went to the server. There was still an old terrain code in 1.1.4.a, but now it is fixed. I also cleared up some errors, which may have stopped the deleting-of-the-variables bug. It's too soon to tell, but one can hope.

There is still an error about [generator] not being supported in scenario top-level, but that is not true, so something else is going on. For now though, in BfW 1.9.1, it looks like that message can be ignored.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Kewltist

Post by Kewltist »

Stewpid question inc
Will saves from the old version load up next chapter (after the one saved) from the updated campaign? (Or will they actually work? No idea how much data a wesnoth save stores)
Wanted to check if 1.0.4 fixed those bugged alien Arctic Wolfs from chapter BMR3-An Opportunity Turn (those with vector(?) abi on ranged attack) I read up that vector was supposed to turn the unit on their side and spent like 15 minutes trying to simulate the situation where they actually hit with their ranged attack. It only did damage. Was it intended?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Kewltist wrote:Will saves from the old version load up next chapter (after the one saved) from the updated campaign?
Saves from older versions of BMR usually work, though not always. However, if there is a change in the BfW version, like 1.8.x -> 1.9.x, it will most surely not work. So BMR 1.0.x saves will probably not work with BMR 1.1.x. I haven't tried, but there was enough change to the code or mark-up that I would be surprised if it worked.

At some point, I'd like to use persistent variables to carry data between Parts 2 & 3, but the "persistent variables" feature is still under construction, so I haven't tried to use it yet. Currently, you can start Part 3 without having played Parts 1 or 2 and it has no effect.
Kewltist wrote:Wanted to check if 1.0.4 fixed those bugged alien Arctic Wolfs from chapter BMR3-An Opportunity Turn (those with vector(?) abi on ranged attack) I read up that vector was supposed to turn the unit on their side and spent like 15 minutes trying to simulate the situation where they actually hit with their ranged attack. It only did damage. Was it intended?
I don't remember what the status of the wolves in 1.0.4 is, but this is fixed in 1.1.5. The Arctic wolves were part of the Khthon faction, they were a half-baked idea that I'd mostly forgotten about as I worked on the Khthon faction and the Vector attack. Vector attack is tricky to balance so I made it inactive on defense - it only does damage on defense. Maybe that is what you saw. The leaders (such as Lorenzon) might also be immune, I don't remember.

In any case, I replaced the Arctic wolves with other wolves. Vector was too much of a pain for the scenarios with wolves, and it made no sense (story-wise) for Khthon to be attacking anyway.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.1.6 went to the server just before the server went away, I'd like to think that was just a coincidence...

I fixed a few small bugs, as well as the thing at the end with Echidna and the sword. Another big change is a reorganization of the terrains, so if you update this campaign, you will need to update Archaic_Era as well.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.1.7 just went to the server. I've fixed a few small bugs such as the items filtering in the last scenario. There are also some minor graphics updates.

Nothing too exciting, but progress is progress...
FerrusManus

Post by FerrusManus »

The amulet which should give fire/cold resistance (found in the lower storage room of the Pit mission) didn't gave it's bonus when I picked it up (I tried picking it up with several different units with same lack of results). And yes, I know the bonus doesn't show in description, but it didn't show when you put mouse over the units HP, and it didn't reduce damage in combat.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for reporting, I'll look into it.

I'll try to have an update soon, it looks like there is some WML that won't work in BfW 1.9.3.
FerrusManus

Post by FerrusManus »

Glad to help. Also if you get caught by orks on world map they say the same line as royal cavalry (something about this being fate or traitors or somesuch, can' remember exact line now). I'm pretty sure that's not intended.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.1.9 just went to the server. There are some small fixes and graphics updates, more noticeable toward the beginning.

-------------------------------------------------
FerrusManus wrote:Also if you get caught by orks on world map they say the same line as royal cavalry (something about this being fate or traitors or somesuch, can' remember exact line now). I'm pretty sure that's not intended.
No, that doesn't intentional. I'll check that for next time.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.2.0 just went to the server. The most noticeable change is that I revised the scenario Royal Rumble, and to a lesser extent, scenario Guardian.

Less obvious, but hopefully no less important, I revised the skirmish mechanics. Saves from the previous version should be compatible, but it may be possible to have something screwy happen on the world map. The random map generator is gone, I took that bogus error as a sign that something bad was going to happen a few BfW versions from now. I also changed how the enemies scaled, hopefully it is better.

EDIT: I just uploaded Archaic Era 1.3.1, it has some macros that this BMR version needs.
lynx

Post by lynx »

The level 3 dogs can't attack with their torches. You simply get no choice when attacking.

One of the merchants has a tip that equipment doesn't stack. This isn't universaly true, as for example the arrow upgrade can be succesfully taken multiple times.

bmr1: I found the rock pile that gives everyone slings only by accident later in that scenario. It should trigger for non-hero units too or maybe there should be an extra pile for the other possible routes.

bmr2::ruin: the amulet in the box that is supposed to give recovery (+4), doesn't work. One of the ability descriptions got updated with it, but there is no healing going on.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lynx wrote:The level 3 dogs can't attack with their torches. You simply get no choice when attacking.
That was intentional (doesn't mean it's good though). Something like "they have fire on their backs, so you get burned if you reach for them". They can't really swing the torch around. The default animation doesn't really show that. Maybe just a really short (1-10 ms) attack animation would be close enough.
lynx wrote:One of the merchants has a tip that equipment doesn't stack. This isn't universaly true, as for example the arrow upgrade can be succesfully taken multiple times.
Well, it's supposed to be true. I'll look at it. Thanks.
lynx wrote:bmr1: I found the rock pile that gives everyone slings only by accident later in that scenario. It should trigger for non-hero units too or maybe there should be an extra pile for the other possible routes.
I'll make it easier to trigger.
lynx wrote:bmr2::ruin: the amulet in the box that is supposed to give recovery (+4), doesn't work. One of the ability descriptions got updated with it, but there is no healing going on.
That should be fixable. Next release.

Thanks for the report.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.0 just went to the server. It has some bug-fixes, including the things mentioned above.

I also replaced the map used in the very first and very last scenarios. The map is longer and skinnier, so it should be more obvious where you need to go. I also got rid of the sword in the last scenario, that thing was worthy of a tvtropes article. The victory trigger for that scenario may not be super obvious, but if you see the new prologue (start of Part I), it should be clear enough. I think.

This version needs the latest Archaic Era release.