1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.10 and 1.11 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

1.5.3 has been uploaded to 1.11.x server. There are a bunch of minor updates, but my main reason for updating is that the "unit status" right-click-menu-item has been inserted into Part III. I've tested it up to the scenario "The Pit - Revisited", after that point, there may be bugs.

But up to that, it should work reasonably well. Except that the ghost attacks are too repetitive, but I'm going to try to do something about that soon.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Allin

Post by Allin »

BfW 1.10.5
Campain "Bad Moon Rising Part III"
Scenario "Fundraising_Opportunity"
I save Hrala, but mission failed.
What i do wrong?
Attachments
BMR3-Fundraising_Opportu..._Ход_4.gz
(54.09 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Allin wrote:BfW 1.10.5
What i do wrong?
I can't view the file any time soon, so I must guess: Did you attack the lieutenant with melee? Don't use melee on him.

Killing him with melee might trigger the rescue events, but you still lose. I don't remember. If so, it should be fixed to suppress the rescue events and just make you lose.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Allin

Post by Allin »

doofus-01 wrote:
Allin wrote:BfW 1.10.5
What i do wrong?
I can't view the file any time soon, so I must guess: Did you attack the lieutenant with melee? Don't use melee on him.

Killing him with melee might trigger the rescue events, but you still lose. I don't remember. If so, it should be fixed to suppress the rescue events and just make you lose.
Yes, i kill him melee. I don't manage to catch up with it anybody except dogs. His cavalryman capture the village in a corner of the map and mission is failed.

Thaks, i try again.
Dwarven_Void

Post by Dwarven_Void »

Great campaign :) I like the world map system (although skirmishes make things kinda easy) and enjoy the plot.

Bug report though:
In scenario 9 (where you enter teh mines again & hunt scarrion) I killed scarrion too quickly. I used a harrier to slow him down sufficiently that I caught him in the very first stretch (before Maskov shows up). This generates a serious plot hole (such that I had to read the source files to understand what on earth was going on). Not a massive issue ,and it's only going to occur if, like me, you
a) line up your troops exactly beyond vazzan's trigger point then berserk him to death in a single turn
and
b) use harriers to prevent scarrion moving

but still, a fix would be nice.

Bug 2) In the next scenario, Hank Skoro died before Knafa Skoro showed up. This messed up his entrance dialogue.

Final comments: I wish you didn't use the {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT} macro quite so much. While I appreciate you wish to keep certain characters from dying to early, having your cunning scheme to assassinate the enemy foiled because the scenario was - silently - preventing it is very annoying. I suggest you eithee solve the problem with the classic "Aha, you though you killed me but now I'm over here!" method or with the "enemy magician + protective shield" system (you have to kill an arch mage before you can harm them. You can also have the arch mage leave the pitch if the enemy needs to become killable). These methods would produce roughly the same effect without making it feel like the engine is "cheating" you. If you really want to stick with the {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT} macro, then please add a note to the objectives (... cannot be killed until...) as this save everyone time and effort.

Still, the campaign is very good :)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Dwarven_Void wrote:Bug report though:
In scenario 9 (where you enter teh mines again & hunt scarrion) I killed scarrion too quickly. I used a harrier to slow him down sufficiently that I caught him in the very first stretch (before Maskov shows up). This generates a serious plot hole (such that I had to read the source files to understand what on earth was going on). Not a massive issue ,and it's only going to occur if, like me, you
a) line up your troops exactly beyond vazzan's trigger point then berserk him to death in a single turn
and
b) use harriers to prevent scarrion moving

but still, a fix would be nice.
OK, I think I've got that fixed now. Thanks.
Dwarven_Void wrote:Final comments: I wish you didn't use the {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT} macro quite so much.
"so much" is a bit of an exaggeration, I think. Even so, that macro is a band-aid, I agree it's not ideal. But foiling devious players in a more satisfying manner is lower priority than many other things, so for now, that macro stays. Maybe someday, it can be retired.
----------------------
1.5.4 has been uploaded to the 1.11.x server. There are many upgrades and a couple of show-stopper bugs have been fixed, so it is worth downloading. I was able to play the whole thing through, without debug, so it should be considered 'complete' again. There are some thing's I'd like to change in the future, the skirmish stuff being highest on the list, but I think the burning issues are solved. If anyone finds anything that leads them to disagree with that, please let me know.
Thanks.
delep

Post by delep »

in BMR2, Raenna and Duval disappeared after the scenario "Fort Kuhle". I play until "Royal Ramble Tour" and i don't have seen them again. I'm not sure it's right. "death of Raenna" means always defeat in the objectives box...
thanks for this campaign
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

delep wrote: I'm not sure it's right.
No, it is not right. That did not happen to me, and it's not obvious to me how that could happen. :hmm:
Could you post the save-file for "Defend", and any saves you have from before that? Thanks.
delep

Post by delep »

doofus-01 wrote:
delep wrote: I'm not sure it's right.
No, it is not right. That did not happen to me, and it's not obvious to me how that could happen. :hmm:
Could you post the save-file for "Defend", and any saves you have from before that? Thanks.
I play in BFW 1.11.1
I hope it's the good file : BMR2-Defend.gz. and the last "Fort Kuhle"
:hmm:
Attachments
BMR2-Fort_Kuhle-Sauvegarde_automatique11.gz
(64.05 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
BMR2-Defend.gz
(7.73 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

OK, I see what happened. Everyone disappeared, that entire side was wiped out. It is a bug in BfW 1.11.1 :
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php? ... nt#p545263

I must have tested that scenario with BfW 1.11.0. I'm going to upload a fix now (BMR 1.5.4.a), because I have no idea when BfW 1.11.2 is coming out.

Thanks for the report.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I was wondering if it is intended that Belleros loses all his items when
Spoiler:
Overall pretty interesting campaign, midway through Part III (I did notice the bug in Fort Kuhle, but didn't think it was a campaign bug, so I hacked a fix myself) A few tomato surprises - levels are noticeably easier if you know what's coming. Other than the ghost skirmishes being too frequent, it's been a fun ride.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

blackjack wrote:I was wondering if it is intended that Belleros loses all his items when
That should be fixed in the recent updates. The old code for making Belleros take over was klutzy, but predated the "items", so it seemed good enough at the time and just fell off the radar.
EDIT: Actually, you might encounter some trouble if you use saves from after that scenario, started with BMR version earlier than 1.5.4. But if you start from the scenario where Lorenzon gets hurt, it should be OK.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Thanks.

In the latest version 1.5.4a, enemies-list.cfg (inside utils) has two units mispelt with Primval instead of Primeval. That causes some messy errors as the system can't find the units...
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Whoops. Will fix for next time, thanks.
The skirmishes are on deck for revision, anyway. Especially the ghost attacks, those things get annoying.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.5.5 has been uploaded to the 1.11.x server. The biggest update is that the skirmishes have changed a bit:

A. The skirmish frequency is terrain dependent - there is more chance to get attacked in forests, less chance to get attacked on the roads. That means there should be fewer of those goddam ghost attacks.

B. The exact skirmish type can now be wolves, rather than orcs, ghosts, or primevals. This general concept could be expanded to other things (like snow monkeys or land sharks), so there is more variety, but what we've got for now is wolves. If there is anything silly from this, like talking wolves, please let me know. I've tested it a fair amount, but there are so many individual scenarios and possibilities, it will take months or even years to get through it all on my own.

C. The enemy sprite that runs around on the worldmap now causes you to go into a "battle" scenario, as opposed to a "skirmish". The "battles" are kind of boring and crappy right now, I was trying to get the underlying mechanics pinned down first. But they are still playable, and if anyone reading this is interested in stress-testing, it would be helpful to see if there are bugs from going between worldmap and battle etc. The basic idea is that if the enemy unit on the worldmap gets next to you, you have a "battle" scenario, and if you flee that battle and return to worldmap scenario, that enemy unit will continue to hound you. If you defeat that "battle" scenario, the enemy unit on the worldmap disappears. It should be pretty intuitive, so if it is not making sense, please let me know. The "battle" scenarios are not balanced, I know they need work. The mechanics of this should allow more than one enemy unit on the map, this whole thing should be expandable, with persistent enemy sides and all that, but it's not there yet.

Because there are new wolf unit-types which could also be in Trinity or Tales of the Setting Sun, this requires that you update the "Archaic_Resources" add-on.