1.11 SP Campaign: Tales of the Setting Sun

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign: Tales of the Setting Sun

Post by doofus-01 »

I've uploaded 0.0.16, which fixes that bug in Prison (a list of sides in [objectives] is not allowed, who knew?) as well as some minor progress on the last scenarios, though it is still not finished.

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Ghash

Post by Ghash »

I've just started the first scenario and can't find the flag I've defeated everyone went to the others camp and back to mine but no flag
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I just tested it and it works for me on 1.10.0 ... it seems pretty straightforward, so I'm not sure what to say without sounding like a smart-ass. What version BfW are you using?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.17 has been uploaded. There is are a few more scenarios, as well as some minor cosmetic improvements, but it is just an incremental release. Currently, there are 6 Chapters done, I have one more planned. I say "Chapters" because "Scenarios" doesn't mean much in this case.

There is still much to be done, but if anyone has any comments on balance of what is done, feel free. It is not easy to cover everything, I think it is possible that a player can grind and make many scenarios trivial, or they can rush through and get screwed.
Dracostar_A

Post by Dracostar_A »

In the Blackfire Caverns (?) scenario, I think the continuous spawning of wraiths can be difficult to deal with, especially considering there are 2 dragons to deal with as well. Maybe stop them after the dragons have been awakened?
On a more general note, in the last Chapter, the progression can be a bit difficult to follow, so I think some indication of where to go could be helpful, like for the oasis with Hermes, so the player is aware of the necessary order to complete the campaign.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for the feedback, Dracostar_A. I agree, things are hard to follow in Chapter 6, I will try to fix that for next time (tomorrow or next weekend). The wraiths in Mt Blackfire are only a problem if you steal the gold. There is some cost/benefit balance to be struck there, though you are probably right, it is not fair right now.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.18 has been released. It is an incremental release. Some small work was done on Chapter 6. Chapter 7 has been started, but is not very far along.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Hi just played and got hooked. Nice ideas.

What was the workers charm good for? Are you getting any workers favor?

Typing the magic word at the tavern scenario does not really fly for me. May be pull down option answers might be cool.

The weapon proficiency is only counting. Not working in my opinion. If you want to multiply damage by 15% it should work. However Wesnoth is rounding damage after every calculation. So 3 times 1.15 remains 3! 3 times 1.15 times 1.15 remains 3! Maybe find a better solution. Maybe even let the player choose from option menu.

EDIT: Giving this a second thought: 15% is doubling the damage of the weapon every 5 advances. I am on prof.lvl 6 at the current end of your campaign playing on easy. Due to the exponential nature it will get crazy after 6. It brings little to nothing in the beginning with bad weapons. I did some estimations and would suggest a linear scale: sword and range 1 every amla, mace 2 every amla, spear gets tricky something like 1,2,1,1,2,1 would be in order. This way you will see results even with the bad weapons in the beginning. With decent weapons (10-2, 7-3, 5-4) it will be equal at prof lvl 6 (5 amla) to the currently not working 15%. The range things should follow the simple 1 scale because the bow gets the no-shield handy cap. I used the range weapons mostly. So they do not have to get buffed so much anyway.

The archer unit is the same than the conscript unit in chain mail. This is disturbing.

The chakram is easily missed laying on the floor especially in caves (Edit: I posted that in the art workshop).

The buff of the hit point by 15% is nothing in the beginning and getting brutal at the end. Maybe a constant plus 5 would be in order, too.

Dragonskin armor sucks against arcane. Is that deliberate? Otherwise it seems to be the armor of choice and makes dragon killing easy. Basically better leather armor with better moves and extra against cold and fire. I attach a spreadsheet. It is xls packed as zip.

What is the group experience good for? A boost for everybody?

The not healing is annoying. Basically I clubbed the enemy into submission. Than you have to linger on the battlefield until everybody is healed (2 per round). Than win the battle on turn 19. (20 is to late). This way I had not to use a single healing herb.

Edit: My preferred kill was a surrounded dragon with throwing knives wearing dragonskin and night shield. It is a way of farming experience. But that is what the textbook says.

I recruited 4 legion and 3 archers and had little problems. The mace/club/hammer line is not really beneficial in the long run. Slings I stayed away for good. Best is chakra and sword line. Spear and bow has some merits. I liked the blessed/silver weapon option. But drain and poison is cool too. Giving it a thought: Maybe try to split everything up between the 6 weapon lines. Maybe including "slow" and "berserk". Sell hand-knives/daggers somewhere.

In the last caves I could free a ghost prisoner (mercy) and later picked up a useless key in an empty cave after killing 2 despair ladies on the way. Not sure if this was intended.

I did not pick up the gold in (honor) was that expected? Nothing happened but i figured i have enough gold anyway.

More Suggestions:
Please finish the rpg portraits. Even recolor would do. Consider a map terrain. Cut portraits at the hip or below. Otherwise the faces are so big (Aria for example). Keep up the good work.

EDIT: One final remark. That you actually have to visit two location a second time to proceed in the story did stop me in the game flow. I had to look at the wml to figure that out. Maybe a hint would be in order. (A hint by some comrade like "Let's go back to xy. I have a strange feeling we are not done there" or so after visiting an in-between location or so.)
Attachments
doofus movetyps.zip
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Wussel wrote:What was the workers charm good for? Are you getting any workers favor?
Good karma. It's not really implemented yet though.
Wussel wrote:Typing the magic word at the tavern scenario does not really fly for me. May be pull down option answers might be cool.
Yeah, I gave up the the text input. It's too hard to guess everything a player could type. And it makes the dialogue more awkward.
Wussel wrote:The weapon proficiency is only counting. Not working in my opinion. If you want to multiply damage by 15% it should work. However Wesnoth is rounding damage after every calculation. So 3 times 1.15 remains 3! 3 times 1.15 times 1.15 remains 3! Maybe find a better solution. Maybe even let the player choose from option menu.
I don't think I'll let the player choose, but yes, the weapon skill bonus isn't working well (though it still works "well enough" for now, in my opinion - to really fix it requires work on the enemies, which will take time). But your suggestion sounds plausible, thanks.
Wussel wrote:Dragonskin armor sucks against arcane. Is that deliberate?
Yeah, there is supposed to be some drawback.
Wussel wrote:What is the group experience good for? A boost for everybody?
Right, a bonus for units exposed to danger because of the not healing issue.
Wussel wrote:The not healing is annoying. Basically I clubbed the enemy into submission. Than you have to linger on the battlefield until everybody is healed (2 per round). Than win the battle on turn 19. (20 is to late). This way I had not to use a single healing herb.
Sounds like I should negate the resting status. But probably not before the items/inventory stuff gets a little more work.
Wussel wrote:In the last caves I could free a ghost prisoner (mercy) and later picked up a useless key in an empty cave after killing 2 despair ladies on the way. Not sure if this was intended.
No, sounds like a bug. I'll look at it.
Wussel wrote:I did not pick up the gold in (honor) was that expected? Nothing happened but i figured i have enough gold anyway.
Right, if you pick it up, you get hounded by wraiths. Maybe there should be something more. That scenario needs more fleshing out, especially the end.
Wussel wrote: One final remark. That you actually have to visit two location a second time to proceed in the story did stop me in the game flow. I had to look at the wml to figure that out. Maybe a hint would be in order. (A hint by some comrade like "Let's go back to xy. I have a strange feeling we are not done there" or so after visiting an in-between location or so.)
Yeah, better hints/directions are needed. I've been working on it.

Thanks for the feedback.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.19 has been uploaded to the 1.9/1.10 server. There are a few minor bug-fixes and some basic graphics and dialogue improvements. There are more new beasts in the skirmishes, and more terrains are accessible in the world map (which basically just means more opportunity to pick fights with random foes).

If you played the previous release, it is probably not worth your time to re-run with this - it still craps out in Chapter 7. But it is an improvement nonetheless.
william150

Post by william150 »

for some reason. when a line spearman-savatte is wounded. he can not be convocated in agoratera to go to healing temple.
and artemis have damage type UNTLB type-balde instead blade.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

william150 wrote:for some reason. when a line spearman-savatte is wounded. he can not be convocated in agoratera to go to healing temple.
That was by design, for game-play reasons (the mercenaries are filler - they are not like the core conscripts). But now that you mention it, it makes no sense, just looking at it from a player's perspective. I'll work on that.
william150 wrote:and artemis have damage type UNTLB type-balde instead blade.
At least that is eays to fix. Thanks for letting me know.

Going back to something from earlier:
Wussel wrote:The weapon proficiency is only counting. Not working in my opinion. If you want to multiply damage by 15% it should work. However Wesnoth is rounding damage after every calculation. So 3 times 1.15 remains 3! 3 times 1.15 times 1.15 remains 3! Maybe find a better solution. Maybe even let the player choose from option menu.
I went to take a look at this, and can't find where I put the advancement, and debug advancing a unit with damage=10 yielded damage=10. I think the 15% stuff is commented-out placeholder crap from many versions ago and is irrelevant. It looks like I did not implement the second half of the weapon proficiency stuff, so yeah, it is just counting numbers. Not sure how I missed that, I thought damage was increasing. If only I were more organized... :doh:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've uploaded 0.0.20 to the 1.9/1.10 server (I think - there were some problems with uploading).

The AMLA/weapon proficiency issue should be taken care of, the "reviving-the-conscripts" thing should be better explained now. There were some other fixes, all up to Chapter 2. The story still hasn't progressed beyond the half-assed crap in Chapter 7, but the earlier stuff should be more robust.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.21 was been uploaded, after some problems again - hopefully it is not corrupted. This version has some alternatives to just getting gold after a skirmish (why would money just pop out of nowhere when you beat up some wolves?) and a few other minor bug-fixes. It is another improvement of the scenarios that already are, I did not add any more to the end yet.
nickanc

Post by nickanc »

Good campaign! I would have preferred a standard recruitment system, but this RPG-style matches almost perfectly the plot. Two things:
* in Caravan scenario (maybe also on other scenarios, i didnt checked), it is possible to buy things continuosly and making money go under zero. That sounds unfair, no one would give you anything if you have no money. :|
* I am waiting to see the end (but I think I will have to wait some time)... should it be sthg like the prologue of BMR1? or that previous encounter between Nemesis and Echidna that is mentioned by Nemesis in BMR3 last scenario? or both? IMHO, These Archaic Era campaigns have always a wonderful plot compared with most of mainline content or main add-ons. :D

EDIT: it is also impossible to return from upper Agoratera to lower one. I dont know if it is intended to work in this way or if it is a bug.