1.11 SP Campaign: Tales of the Setting Sun

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign: Tales of the Setting Sun

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks guys.
william150 wrote:Rebel spearman have the same ID rebel common. this is bad.
Whoops. Fixed for next time.
Evander wrote:- if you end your turn next to a unit with speech lines, at the start of a next turn they talk to you again
Odd, I hadn't noticed that.
Evander wrote:mercenaries can't use any items from a shop (I wanted to buy a throwing knife for my merc
I suppose it could be OK to allow everyone to buy knives and potions.
Evander wrote:units you recall so you could buy them stuff cost you gold per turn. perhaps they should not have upkeep there
Now that I know themes WML works, there are many changes I want to make in differentiating battle vs city vs worldmap scenarios. This is on the list.
Evander wrote:- can't recall any companions (I recalled all units in city). right clicking on the fort shows only 3 options: -Finished Recalling, - End Turn, -Quit Game
can I suggest going back to the camp map like in Bad Moon Rising?
You can recall, use Alt-R. When I tested it, I forgot that it might be missed if not on the menu. I'd like to avoid recalling altogether, just let the player use a menu to choose. But for now, I don't know how to do it.
Evander wrote:If I can suggest something, perhaps you could use similar item system like in Legends of Invincibles? Would be good to know what items our units have.
I'm not familiar with that, but I'll check it out. EDIT: OK, checked it out. Not bad, but I will not be using that. I've been kind of light on the descriptions because other things had my attention, I think it will get better. Maybe someday the help system can display the unit info, not just the generic unit-type info.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Evander

Post by Evander »

Evander wrote:- if you end your turn next to a unit with speech lines, at the start of a next turn they talk to you again
Odd, I hadn't noticed that.
also, moving to two guards (so that your character stands next to two) triggers double, sometimes triple dialogue.
Evander wrote:mercenaries can't use any items from a shop (I wanted to buy a throwing knife for my merc
I suppose it could be OK to allow everyone to buy knives and potions.
it does cost gold, so why not? :)
Evander wrote:- can't recall any companions (I recalled all units in city). right clicking on the fort shows only 3 options: -Finished Recalling, - End Turn, -Quit Game
can I suggest going back to the camp map like in Bad Moon Rising?
You can recall, use Alt-R. When I tested it, I forgot that it might be missed if not on the menu. I'd like to avoid recalling altogether, just let the player use a menu to choose. But for now, I don't know how to do it.
ok, thanks. Now I can deal with the tavern patrons and progress further through the story. expect more posts soon :)
Evander wrote:If I can suggest something, perhaps you could use similar item system like in Legends of Invincibles? Would be good to know what items our units have.
I'm not familiar with that, but I'll check it out. EDIT: OK, checked it out. Not bad, but I will not be using that. I've been kind of light on the descriptions because other things had my attention, I think it will get better. Maybe someday the help system can display the unit info, not just the generic unit-type info.
If you will manage to create a Unit Card - that will be awesome.
ok, I will wait and see :)
Evander

Post by Evander »

Just finished Kaoston tavern.

My observations:
- rebel leader can kill my captains in a single turn if he is lucky :(
- a unit using a sling should be able to use small light shield. I picked up a kite shield from rebel captain and discovered that my slinger can't have a buckler :)
- a barrel at (8,3) is drawn above the unit. I moved my unit to check for secrets and saw this bug.

Suggestions:
- can we have a medic for our rookie warriors? a healer, priest, shaman? :)

edit - Encounters:
Green Drakes are extreme.
Final kill of a final enemy gives no xp to a unit - very painful after encountering a drake.
There are far too many random encounters next to a capital city in my opinion. When I was travelling from Thasselona to Agoratea I got an encounter every step for a half of this journey.
Grey ogre has no unit graphic.

edit2 - return to Agoratea:
There was a new worker in the park with the line "someone must look after...".
When I recalled my unit that was the guy standing there the first time I entered and he joined me then, when I moved my captain next to that unit it had a dialogue of this worker.

edit3 - Cypress Hill:
I believe that this area is somewhat extreme. Rebel units are very imbalanced. They hit very hard and move very fast, not giving our rank 3 units much of a chance. Since they are rebels and our units are trained soldiers (be them rookies) perhaps rebels should be a little bit weaker (slower, doing less damage). Otherwise this area with unlimited rebel spawn is extremely difficult to win - lvl 3 guardians of that stone building are tearing my squad apart.

edit4 - 404
I have reached the end of the story so far. I am not sure about the orcs recruiting list (Recalling gave me some ram riders) and the reason why we are able to control them. But the two scenarios there seem ok, apart from far too frequent dragon encounters in the frozen north.
william150

Post by william150 »

slime rat, tarantula, pelt ogre, grey ogre has no unit graphic. frost dragon has no cold resistance!?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for the reports, looks like I forgot to test some of the monsters...
Evander wrote:can we have a medic for our rookie warriors? a healer, priest, shaman? :)
I'd like to avoid healers, but I agree something needs to be done along those lines. Maybe make potions stronger, and make a weaker herb or plant or something that is easy to find in the "wilderness".
Evander wrote:Final kill of a final enemy gives no xp to a unit - very painful after encountering a drake.
Should be fixed for next time.
Evander wrote: I am not sure about the orcs ... and the reason why we are able to control them.
Mostly because I don't like idiot AI allies. The AI can be tuned, some day it may get control of the orcs again.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Evander

Post by Evander »

doofus-01 wrote:
Evander wrote:can we have a medic for our rookie warriors? a healer, priest, shaman? :)
I'd like to avoid healers, but I agree something needs to be done along those lines. Maybe make potions stronger, and make a weaker herb or plant or something that is easy to find in the "wilderness".
What about the unit, that could cure/heal 8hp when you right click on it and select target to heal? It would consume it's turn, and would eliminate the passive healing.

BTW, I tried to sell stuff by dropping it on a free hex in city shop. Nothing happened. Not sure if you are planning that sort of functionality?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Evander wrote: It would consume it's turn, and would eliminate the passive healing.
Now there's an idea. If using an item burned up a turn, it would free up many possibilities. Temporary upgrades, like immunity to fire or something wouldn't be totally ridiculous. :hmm:

As for the not being able to sell items, that just didn't occur to me. I might include that later on. Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.13 has been released. It's a fairly big update, save-files from previous versions will not work. Many of the above issues were fixed. The recalling menu on the worldmap can probably get a little confusing, but without images, I think it's as good as it's going to get.
EDIT: Had to upload 0.0.13a because of a bug in Agoratera that gave the player too much gold at each recall. I also changed the red banner graphic, which I think I got from some RPG resources add-on of questionable legality. Now everything is OK in that department.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.14 has been released. There were some additions and revisions to later scenarios, but it is still not finished. It basically stops at the Outpost in Wildlands.
william150

Post by william150 »

artemis do not have your ranged attack. evil eye no have image. I still think the skirmishes very difficult. especially against dragons that before dying kill one or two units during the night.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Artemis is not really wired in yet. The evil eye was an oversight, thanks.

The skirmishes might be too difficult, but I tried to make it better and think it is close to fair. If you use the "supply list", and things like "phosphor" at night, it is a lot more manageable. Maybe a few things more are needed. Or the method itself is not clear enough?
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

I've downloaded the most recent version on 1.10.3 version of Wesnoth. I am enjoying the campaign but have a few problems with it. Sometimes I feel on the world map a marker would be nice for your overall objective. The second time you have to go to the tavern, I automatically ruled that village out as we just went there and then proceeded to try every other place on the map, which took a while with the random encounters.
Could there also be a exit marker in cities/villages as I wasn't too sure in some which way to exit.

I'm now stuck on 'Arka Kor'. I've killed all enemy units and gone up to the door of the structure at the top of the map and nothing has triggered. Am I missing something?

Great campaign so far though.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Akkarin345 wrote: Sometimes I feel on the world map a marker would be nice for your overall objective. The second time you have to go to the tavern, I automatically ruled that village out as we just went there and then proceeded to try every other place on the map, which took a while with the random encounters.
Could there also be a exit marker in cities/villages as I wasn't too sure in some which way to exit.
Duly noted.
Akkarin345 wrote:I'm now stuck on 'Arka Kor'. I've killed all enemy units and gone up to the door of the structure at the top of the map and nothing has triggered. Am I missing something?
It's a fragile scenario and needs work. To get to victory, you need to kill some small number of orcish cavalry, then get Exanites, Aria, or Kapang to the entrance.

I have plans to revise it, but they require some artwork to get done first.

EDIT: I should mention that next update will not be compatible with current save-games. It will require a complete restart. Sorry about that, I try to get these things ironed out early on (as in versions 0.0.x).
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.15 has been uploaded to the server. For the game to function correctly, it is necessary to start over from the beginning, unfortunately.
- The mechanics of the shields, etc. should be much better now.
- Slain conscripts can now be revived, so while it is best not to get them killed, it is not devastating when it happens.
- There are a couple more scenarios added, but they are not well tested, and it all peters out in the desert region (I think there is fair warning). It's getting close to the end though.
Dracostar_A

Post by Dracostar_A »

In the 'Prison' scenario, there seems to be a bug, since I only begin the scenario with Exanites and the Orcish allied leader, which makes the scenario difficult, and the turn limit seems too short, and it makes the scenario virtually impossible.

But apart from that, I think you've done a great job with this campaign, and the revival of lost troops means the scenarios are much easier to complete, as you don't have to worry about troop preservation as much as you did before.

Very good job, all in all