1.11 SP Campaign: Tales of the Setting Sun

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign: Tales of the Setting Sun

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, nickanc.

I think I fixed the "deficit spending" in some of the shops, but must not have carried it through everywhere.
nickanc wrote: I am waiting to see the end (but I think I will have to wait some time)... should it be sthg like the prologue of BMR1? or that previous encounter between Nemesis and Echidna that is mentioned by Nemesis in BMR3 last scenario? or both?
I do eventually plan to revise the prologue of BMR1 so that it has the unit-types etc of this campaign, at the minimum. Probably update the terrain of that map too. But yes, it will take some time; I'm still working on the "basics" of this campaign.
nickanc wrote:EDIT: it is also impossible to return from upper Agoratera to lower one. I dont know if it is intended to work in this way or if it is a bug.
Not a bug, but not intended either. I didn't really think about it much. That chapter needs fleshing out in general, and I may be changing it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.22 has been uploaded to the server (I think) [EDIT:Tried to check, but now I can't connect to the server, I hope I didn't crash the thing...] Again, there was some difficulty, so I think this will be the last BfW 1.10.x release.

I've added "helmet types" in addition to "armor type". The sprites are affected by shield, armor, helmet, and weapon, but the profiles and help screens are only affected by armor, helmet and weapon. In principle, I could add the shields in a similar way, but that makes too many unit types (and unit types is the only way to get the help system to be relevant, I think). Unit stats are affected by all those, plus AMLAs, but it isn't so transparent to the player, and that is something to work on.

I also replaced the first scenario, and fixed some of the scenarios up into Chapter 4.

The AMLA stuff still needs work, but I think it's better than before.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Well, I went through your campaign and here are some considerations.

First of all, some parts are already splendid. I'd liked very much the new graphics you put there. The whole advancement and weaponry system for the conscripts works very well, and it's really well designed.
The story is very fine too. I would only suggest a bit of dialog when Exanites sister pops out as new rebels leader. I think a loving brother would ask her more about her adventures (and the player would be glad to know too !)

Now some things I liked not much. Here they are even if I know it's a work in progress and maybe/probably you already planned to change them.
1- Moves. In the capital city as well as in world map, it's really tedious to move the hero. In the desert general map, it becomes really awful: I'm stuck there because I know not how to go to the Blackfire Mountains: many terrains are actually impassable to the hero, and given his single movepoint, it's impossible to discover a path. One have to crawl from one bag end to another... tedious IMO.
2- Ambushes: far too much for my taste. For now, they all look the same, and getting five in a row each time you travel across the map is too much.
Spoiler:
Two problems:
1- First time I went to the tavern, I managed to kill the keeper with ordinary units. So the final dialog didn't pop and I was stuck there. I had to read the code to discover I had to talk with the keeper with Exanites or his sister.
2- In the desert map, some ambushes work not because a lua error: unknown unit type Fire Dragon, Skeletal Dragon,SS_Sandworm (Wov ! I shun a pretty tight figth here ! :lol2: )

Friendly,
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

pyrophorus wrote: I would only suggest a bit of dialog when Exanites sister pops out as new rebels leader. I think a loving brother would ask her more about her adventures (and the player would be glad to know too !)
I agree, I want to flesh out some things a bit more.
pyrophorus wrote:Moves. In the capital city as well as in world map, it's really tedious to move the hero. In the desert general map, it becomes really awful: I'm stuck there because I know not how to go to the Blackfire Mountains: many terrains are actually impassable to the hero, and given his single movepoint, it's impossible to discover a path. One have to crawl from one bag end to another... tedious IMO.
In the future, the player should get unlimited moves in cities. As for the worldmap, I think it's possible to replace the current one-move-per-turn & moveto events with unlimited moves & "pass-through-hex" events, but I haven't used those before, so I haven't gotten to it yet.
pyrophorus wrote:Ambushes: far too much for my taste. For now, they all look the same, and getting five in a row each time you travel across the map is too much
I've noticed that they are all exactly the same now too, they didn't used to be. I thought it was something to do with BfW 1.11.0, because I just switched over, but if you see this in BfW 1.10.x, then I must have broken something. :hmm:

Thanks for the feedback and bug reports.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.23 has been uploaded to the 1.11.x (->dev) server (not the 1.10.x [->stable] server). I am not updating the 1.10.x versions, I will soon remove it from the 1.10 server.

"Keeper of the Blade", Chapter 7, is the last scenario that I have updated and tested, anything after that is probably broken.

I think I've fixed the things mentioned above, with the exception of identical (and boring) skirmishes. There is something wrong with how variables are assigned and removed, which causes various problems in places from the skirmishes to the pick-up of items, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to fix this. I'm not sure how much is bugs with BfW or instability from silent bugs with this campaign. But users of early dev versions of BfW should understand this, and will hopefully report bugs as they come up.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.11 SP Campaign: Tales of the Setting Sun

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.24 has been uploaded, to the 1.11.x server. Some progress has been made on Chapter 7, though it is still not finished. The biggest reason for this update is that the skirmishes have been fixed, so they are not all the same. Should be more fun than the previous version.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

About the skirmishes:
I would suggest to reduce the caution of the AI to zero. The most damage they could do with suicide runs. Right now they run away and you have to chase them in the corners.

Keep up the good work.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.0.25 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.11.x server. Some data has been moved to "Archaic_Resources" add-on, so that is another dependency. There are probably some bugs related to this, but it seems to work. There has also been some progress on Ch7, but it is still unfinished.

I have not touched the 1.10.x version.
Fraggel76

Post by Fraggel76 »

tryined plalyin with the ipad 3 but getting a whole bunch of error messages is there a fix out there
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Depends upon what those errors are. But since I don't know anything about any ipads, the answer is most likely "no".
Gitanomad_X

Post by Gitanomad_X »

doofus-01 wrote:Depends upon what those errors are. But since I don't know anything about any ipads, the answer is most likely "no".
I also got a lot of errors with 1.11.2 on Mac OSX 10.8.3. Among the many other errors that popped up, it claims that there is no scenario 000, even though I can see it in the addon scenarios folder.

Strangely enough, I just went back to Wesnoth to run the campaign again to take a screenshot of the error messages, and the campaign no longer even shows up in the list of campaigns available! (It is still in the addons folder however.)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Gitanomad_X wrote:I also got a lot of errors with 1.11.2 on Mac OSX 10.8.3
Thanks for the report. I just fired this up on BfW 1.11.2 and didn't get any errors, so I can't do much for now.
Gitanomad_X wrote: Among the many other errors that popped up, it claims that there is no scenario 000, even though I can see it in the addon scenarios folder
The first error is the only one that means anything. The rest, including the "unknown scenario" (or whatever the exact phrase is) box, don't mean anything and can be ignored.
Gitanomad_X wrote:Strangely enough, I just went back to Wesnoth to run the campaign again to take a screenshot of the error messages, and the campaign no longer even shows up in the list of campaigns available! (It is still in the addons folder however.)
I think you can clear that up by deleting your game's cache and restarting the program.
gooby

Post by gooby »

I tried this campaign and right out of the gate I get errors complaining that a macro named SS_AMLA_INITIALIZATION can't be found. Sigh...
mithc

Post by mithc »

Im playing on Normal with Wesnoth V 1.10.6

I'm doing a playthrough of the campaign and I noticed two things that stuck out so far to me. In the first scenario I ended up losing all my conscripts but one due to my [censored] testing of each armor and weapon haha, but I noticed that besides the one guy you pick up in the city after that I was unable to obtain any other conscripts as of Chapter 3. I found this a problem in the beginning, but then I started recruiting mercenaries and trained them with the encounters and had 6 L3 warriors by Scenario 2. I was wondering if that is what you intended or if there is another way to obtain more conscripts?

The other thing i also noticed is that in Scenario 3, if you kill Laerates before you kill one of the Primeval units then his text doesn't show up at the end of the battle and the main character is left with a half conversation by himself. Maybe you can make it so Laerates stays at the house he teleports to instead of following the main character? Or just make it so that his unit doesn't actually get defeated and that the battle ends also once you defeat Laerates and the Primevals will say that since he was defeated and captured that they it no longer requires their presence and so they get back on their boat and leave.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

gooby wrote:I tried this campaign and right out of the gate I get errors complaining that a macro named SS_AMLA_INITIALIZATION can't be found. Sigh...
That macro is defined, so there has to be more to it than just that. (We're getting closer, maybe next time...)

This campaign has been unchanged since November, I wonder why I am just getting these complaints now... Maybe a conflict with another add-on or something. :hmm:

mithc wrote: In the first scenario I ended up losing all my conscripts but one due to my [censored] testing of each armor and weapon haha, but I noticed that besides the one guy you pick up in the city after that I was unable to obtain any other conscripts as of Chapter 3. I found this a problem in the beginning, but then I started recruiting mercenaries and trained them with the encounters and had 6 L3 warriors by Scenario 2. I was wondering if that is what you intended or if there is another way to obtain more conscripts?
The development of this campaign involved a lot of just trying to get the mechanics worked out. There are some flaws and some unfinished business, the recruiting is included in that. I'd like to have more than one type of "conscript" and "mercenary", but for now, it is what it is - don't get them killed in the first scenario. That scenario has been re-written for BfW 1.11.x versions.
mithc wrote:The other thing i also noticed is that in Scenario 3, if you kill Laerates before you kill one of the Primeval units then his text doesn't show up at the end of the battle and the main character is left with a half conversation by himself. Maybe you can make it so Laerates stays at the house he teleports to instead of following the main character? Or just make it so that his unit doesn't actually get defeated and that the battle ends also once you defeat Laerates and the Primevals will say that since he was defeated and captured that they it no longer requires their presence and so they get back on their boat and leave.
I found that scenario kind of lame, combat-wise, so it is being heavily revised. You're right, it has some pretty silly bugs.

Thanks for the feedback.