Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Post by revansurik »

Aaaand surprise! The third and final part of the Dragon Trilogy, sequel to both A Song of Fire and War of the Jewel, is out (with its first 19 scenarios): Aria of the Dragon-Slayer!

"Part VII: Awakening from Legend - In ancient times, the fate of Irdya was changed in a great war against the dragons; and, in that war, the heroines Maat and Myra of Hiera'Shirsha stopped the Sky Dragon Svarballi and, unable to destroy him, locked him in a mighty prison. Now, five millennia after that war, as humans rule Irdya and two suns shine in the sky, the one with the power to finally slay the Sky Dragon may have been born as a peasant girl in the outskirts of civilization... Follow Tenma Yozora through the last days of Irdya's Golden Age and through the path to becoming the prophesied Dragon-Slayer..."

As usual, a few questions to help me improve it ;-)

1.How do you rate the difficulty of this campaign in general?(1-10; I thought of it as an Intermediate-level campaign)
2.Which portions of the campaign do you find to be too easy or too hard that may need to be rebalanced?
3.How do you find the storyline and the conversation of the campaign?
4.What changes do you think may be made to make the campaign more interesting?
5.If you know about Wesnoth Markup Language(WML),please comment on the WML of the various scenarios, suggesting on how they may be improved.

And thanks in advance for playing my campaign! :-D
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Goulven

Re: Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Post by Goulven »

And you are putting this online on my birthday!? Fantastic! :D

I have a stupid practical question though, because I've never done that before: if I start playing this version and get through, say, the first 10 scenarios when you put up an update, will I have to start over from scenario 1 if I download the update?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

And you are putting this online on my birthday!? Fantastic! :D
Nice coincidence :-D Happy birthday to you!
I have a stupid practical question though, because I've never done that before: if I start playing this version and get through, say, the first 10 scenarios when you put up an update, will I have to start over from scenario 1 if I download the update?
No, unless it's something that affects the characters (for example, an extra AMLA that's added later won't be accessible if you're playing the first version). But don't worry, these characters worked just fine when I tested them, so you can start playing from this first version ;-)

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

Hi,

I played the campaign so far and it worked well, but I have a few comments.

The difficulty of the scenarios is fine all over, but there are two which are very difficult to manage:

The first one is "Swamp of Ten Thousand Spears". I started with around 380 gold and didn't mange this one twice. You have three front lines because Aetheryons undead don't perform very well. The big problem were the saurians, because I couldn't recruit enough troops to keep a constant defence line, which is a bit like having no defence line against them. The second point are the elves. They appear to late and haven't anything to do with the outcome of the battle. To make things more balanced, the elves should enter the scenario earlier on and you should think about increasing starting gold of the player or reducing starting gold of the saurians. I managed the scenario after replaying the previous two with a total focus on maximizing gold bonus. Then I had 500 gold which was enough, but I still had serious losses.

The second problematic scenario is "The Siege of Shek'harya". The elves and the drakes have no chance to survive on there own. I only managed to make them survive after recruiting some gali at the beginning of the game and send them straight to the south and even that isn't a guaranty to make them survive. They should have more starting gold and/or income, otherwise it's just a gambling game. At the end of the scenario I was a bit astonished that you get just a bonus of two gold per turn for early finishing, which makes early finishing pretty useless. Perhaps you didn't have look at it, because it's currently the last scenario.

Tenma is a bit tedeous at the beginning. Her only ranged attack is a single shot, which cost her 2/3 of her hp (some call it suicide ;) ). Her hp are pretty low during the hole game. Currently she is level 4, but has just 45 hp. Kenshiro is about the same low level. Both should start with more hit points since they are central characters. It's not that important for the gameplay, but it's more comfortable, if they can take a bit more damage.

I found a bug in the game. In the caves I chose the darke elves as allies. Now I made an attempt to side with the dwarves. In the "Dead Caves" scenario neither Tenma nor the dwarven leader appear. This seems to be your favourit bug. ;) I add the scenario file.

You should upload your modules to the 1.12 server and not the 1.11. Otherwise people will miss your mods with the lates betas, if they don' read the forum.
Attachments
AotDS-Dead_Caves.gz
(22.2 KiB) Downloaded 849 times
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

The first one is "Swamp of Ten Thousand Spears". I started with around 380 gold and didn't mange this one twice. You have three front lines because Aetheryons undead don't perform very well. The big problem were the saurians, because I couldn't recruit enough troops to keep a constant defence line, which is a bit like having no defence line against them. The second point are the elves. They appear to late and haven't anything to do with the outcome of the battle. To make things more balanced, the elves should enter the scenario earlier on and you should think about increasing starting gold of the player or reducing starting gold of the saurians. I managed the scenario after replaying the previous two with a total focus on maximizing gold bonus. Then I had 500 gold which was enough, but I still had serious losses.
The elves coming late is actually supposed to help the player; you chose the black elvish path, but if you had chosen any other the elves at that scenario would be your enemies, in whch case you'd prefer them to come later ;-)
The second problematic scenario is "The Siege of Shek'harya". The elves and the drakes have no chance to survive on there own. I only managed to make them survive after recruiting some gali at the beginning of the game and send them straight to the south and even that isn't a guaranty to make them survive. They should have more starting gold and/or income, otherwise it's just a gambling game. At the end of the scenario I was a bit astonished that you get just a bonus of two gold per turn for early finishing, which makes early finishing pretty useless. Perhaps you didn't have look at it, because it's currently the last scenario.
Strange, I thought they fought well, but I'll see what I can do about it... As for the bonus, it should have been the same as in all other scenarios with turn limits, maybe I forgot something there...
Tenma is a bit tedeous at the beginning. Her only ranged attack is a single shot, which cost her 2/3 of her hp (some call it suicide ;) ). Her hp are pretty low during the hole game. Currently she is level 4, but has just 45 hp. Kenshiro is about the same low level. Both should start with more hit points since they are central characters. It's not that important for the gameplay, but it's more comfortable, if they can take a bit more damage.
I made them like that on purpose. Kenshiro, with all his AMLAs, becomes a formidable fighter; I made him have less hp than one might have wished to prevent him from becoming too OP. I made Tenma like that for the same reason, and also to match her body type; she's a 17-year-old girl who wears peasant's clothing, even if she's athletic she's quite frail physically - Myra, in contrast, was a more robust 23-year-old woman who wore more resilient garments.
I found a bug in the game. In the caves I chose the darke elves as allies. Now I made an attempt to side with the dwarves. In the "Dead Caves" scenario neither Tenma nor the dwarven leader appear. This seems to be your favourit bug. ;) I add the scenario file.

You should upload your modules to the 1.12 server and not the 1.11. Otherwise people will miss your mods with the lates betas, if they don' read the forum.
This damn bug keeps bugging me... :P
As for the servers, for now the 1.11 server has the priority, since it'll take some time to test the campaign on the 1.12 version, but I will eventually upload all my campaigns to the 1.12 server as well ;-)

;-)
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

revansurik wrote:The elves coming late is actually supposed to help the player; you chose the black elvish path, but if you had chosen any other the elves at that scenario would be your enemies, in whch case you'd prefer them to come later ;-)
Okay, forget about the elves coming earlier. Then you should do something about the starting gold.
Strange, I thought they fought well, but I'll see what I can do about it... As for the bonus, it should have been the same as in all other scenarios with turn limits, maybe I forgot something there...
I tried it three times. In first one the drake leader died and in the second one the elvish leader. They don't have to kill just the drakes an saurians, but also their corpses after they get killed.

I forgot to mention a small but funny bug in the scenario. Dragana sometimes recruit level 3 saurians.
I made them like that on purpose. Kenshiro, with all his AMLAs, becomes a formidable fighter; I made him have less hp than one might have wished to prevent him from becoming too OP. I made Tenma like that for the same reason, and also to match her body type; she's a 17-year-old girl who wears peasant's clothing, even if she's athletic she's quite frail physically - Myra, in contrast, was a more robust 23-year-old woman who wore more resilient garments.
Kenshiro is a good fighter in an offensive way, but the low hp also limit him in fights. Currently he has 49 hp, which is really low for a level 3 fighter. Tenma's light clothing is reflecteted in her high defence and low martial resistance, but has nothing to do with hp. She is a young girl, but also a very special one. It's not that important for the game, but increasing Kenshiro's hp by 10 and Tenmas by 5 wouldn't be unrealistic and improve their playability.

Tenma's Ryujin Tenshou spell is in my eyes pretty useless. It has quite low damage at high hp costs and the whirlwind is not that great with this low damage. I only used it two or three time apart from the situation you have to use it. All the other spells in your mods, which work like this one have lot higher damage. Either the damage should be doubled or the number of attacks to 16-2. Even with an improvement it keeps a dodgy thing because of Tenmas low hp.

I just remember another issue with Tenma. The vine attack gets an upgrade to marksmanship, but then the slow effect vanishes or at least the description. Is that a wanted thing or just a bug? Changing slow against marksmanship wouldn't be a good deal.
As for the servers, for now the 1.11 server has the priority, since it'll take some time to test the campaign on the 1.12 version, but I will eventually upload all my campaigns to the 1.12 server as well ;-)
Why do you care about older development versions? It is more likely people try to get the newest one and after the stable release of 1.12 no one will grab mods from 1.11.
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

Okay, forget about the elves coming earlier. Then you should do something about the starting gold.
I managed it quite well. Well I was playing in easy and had 502 gold to begin with. :P
Spoiler:

I tried it three times. In first one the drake leader died and in the second one the elvish leader. They don't have to kill just the drakes an saurians, but also their corpses after they get killed.
I forgot to mention a small but funny bug in the scenario. Dragana sometimes recruit level 3 saurians.
Didn't happen with me. Not even the bug.
Spoiler:
Kenshiro is a good fighter in an offensive way, but the low hp also limit him in fights. Currently he has 49 hp, which is really low for a level 3 fighter. Tenma's light clothing is reflecteted in her high defence and low martial resistance, but has nothing to do with hp. She is a young girl, but also a very special one. It's not that important for the game, but increasing Kenshiro's hp by 10 and Tenmas by 5 wouldn't be unrealistic and improve their playability.

Tenma's Ryujin Tenshou spell is in my eyes pretty useless. It has quite low damage at high hp costs and the whirlwind is not that great with this low damage. I only used it two or three time apart from the situation you have to use it. All the other spells in your mods, which work like this one have lot higher damage. Either the damage should be doubled or the number of attacks to 16-2. Even with an improvement it keeps a dodgy thing because of Tenmas low hp.
Agreed, reveansurik gave the same answer, good enough i guess. Valerya is a blessing.
Spoiler:

I just remember another issue with Tenma. The vine attack gets an upgrade to marksmanship, but then the slow effect vanishes or at least the description. Is that a wanted thing or just a bug? Changing slow against marksmanship wouldn't be a good deal.
I didn't invest on that. Is that good?. Just kept upgrading dragon claw.
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

sreesreearul wrote:I managed it quite well. Well I was playing in easy and had 502 gold to begin with. :P
Spoiler:
I played on normal and the 380 are quite realistic, if you didn't know the two previous scenarios before. I have to admit I made some stratrgic mistakes I noticed after finishing the scenario. I oversaw the usefulness of Air Embodiment/Gali (definitaly the coolest units) in this scenario and relied too much on Water Elementals. I also kept my defence too far in the north. Thanks for reminding me that Aetheryon can be instructed. I didn't notice in this scenario. It might work with around 400 gold as well, but a 100 gold less can make big difference when fighting saurian skirmisher. If there is a hole in your defence line, you might have a handful of them in your back.
Didn't happen with me. Not even the bug.
Spoiler:
It might be a difference on easy, but on normal it is not unlikely that they die. In my second attempt, I set both on more defensiv, but it didn't make a difference. I didn't define an enemy, so I'm not sure if that is needed to let them fight more defensiv. Anyway, it wouldn't make a big difference for the outcome of the scenario, if they start with an additional 200 gold on normal. It would guaranty their survival, but they would still be occupied in their corners for a while.
I didn't invest on that. Is that good?. Just kept upgrading dragon claw.
Slow attacks are one of the best attacks in the BoW. I took it the first time it was available. It is quite helpful for example in a special case in the last scenario.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

My mistake; I forgot to add mode=append when adding the Marksman special.
Why do you care about older development versions? It is more likely people try to get the newest one and after the stable release of 1.12 no one will grab mods from 1.11.
Because many players still use version 1.11, and because, due to the latest 1.12 releases not being stable versions, people might prefer dowloading older but more stable versions .Version 1.10, for example, had upgrades until way after the 1.11.1 was released.
Spoiler:
Just wait and see ;-) Though any transformation should only happen later on the campaign...

On the low hp issue: You haven't advanced them so much, so you couldn't have known it, but their hp surpasses 70 in his later advancements. In WotJ, the heroes too get too high hp, and I didn't want to do the same in AotDS. However, I might have made a mistake by making their hp develop slowly; maybe I'll add 3 hp for each of the first advancements, and only 1 for the later ones.

On the Ryujin Tensho attack: Of course it's weak and self-damaging at first, it's a hugely powerful spell which Tenma has just learned. Advance it three or four times, however, and you'll see it become a +60 whirlwind attack; advance it another 3 times, and it will go beyond a normal whirlwind attack. Don't worry, there'll be plenty of scenarios for you to develop that, AotDS will be the longest campaign of the Trilogy - though it won't go beyond 50 scenarios ;-)

;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

revansurik wrote:Because many players still use version 1.11, and because, due to the latest 1.12 releases not being stable versions, people might prefer dowloading older but more stable versions .Version 1.10, for example, had upgrades until way after the 1.11.1 was released.
+1
I'm really glad to hear that. I don't like the latest releases for reasons I won't go into here and I'm much more comfortable using an earlier version. Kudos.
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

Because many players still use version 1.11, and because, due to the latest 1.12 releases not being stable versions, people might prefer dowloading older but more stable versions .Version 1.10, for example, had upgrades until way after the 1.11.1 was released.
I never had any problems with them, apart from the messages sometimes appearing. Anyway, I don't have a problem to download the mod manually.
On the Ryujin Tensho attack: Of course it's weak and self-damaging at first, it's a hugely powerful spell which Tenma has just learned. Advance it three or four times, however, and you'll see it become a +60 whirlwind attack; advance it another 3 times, and it will go beyond a normal whirlwind attack. Don't worry, there'll be plenty of scenarios for you to develop that, AotDS will be the longest campaign of the Trilogy - though it won't go beyond 50 scenarios ;-)
Okay, but it's not obvious at the beginning. The first advancement is just another 5 points damage, which doesn't look appealing to spend an advancement on.

I just remember another smaller issue. In the second scenario you get four loyal human units. They are lacking the marker for loyal units. Perhaps you can add them.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey, it's cool to hear you have a new campaign.

a few things:
-In the first cave scenario the message about the undead being composed by different races is triggered by vampire bats. I can not even see any undead. Just Adding race=undead to the filter should be enough.
-somehow, there are two amla choices for tenma, who both teach her the vine attack.
-in vengeful pursuit, the time of day image shows a cave
EDIT:
-Sogen huntress and priestess have no Dagger attack icon
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

a few things:
-In the first cave scenario the message about the undead being composed by different races is triggered by vampire bats. I can not even see any undead. Just Adding race=undead to the filter should be enough.
-somehow, there are two amla choices for tenma, who both teach her the vine attack.
-in vengeful pursuit, the time of day image shows a cave
EDIT:
-Sogen huntress and priestess have no Dagger attack icon
I always forget some little thing to do :-P The schedule in scenario Vengeful Pursuit, however, is correct, as it's the Stormy Sky schedule, not Underground - but its image is very similar to that of underground, that's why you mistook it ;-)

;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

First scenario desperately needs a turn limit, right now it's just so open to abuse. You do realize that the enemy can be farmed indefinitely, feeding Tenma and her true elementals tons of AMLAs / all abilities, etc. This can effectively negate any difficulty curve in the campaign.
Awesome campaign so far, like always. Proper feedback incoming at some later date, for now I just wanted to confirm what someone else has already pointed out in this thread - Dead Caves is critically bugged, that is neither Tenma nor Augdras appear on the map.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

marecki wrote:First scenario desperately needs a turn limit, right now it's just so open to abuse. You do realize that the enemy can be farmed indefinitely, feeding Tenma and her true elementals tons of AMLAs / all abilities, etc. This can effectively negate any difficulty curve in the campaign.
Awesome campaign so far, like always. Proper feedback incoming at some later date, for now I just wanted to confirm what someone else has already pointed out in this thread - Dead Caves is critically bugged, that is neither Tenma nor Augdras appear on the map.
Well, one needs to have a colossal ammount of patience to spend so much time in a single scenario, though :shock:

;-)