Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

XxChronOblivionxX

Re: Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Post by XxChronOblivionxX »

For anyone interested, I have just begun a full Youtube Let's Play of the entire Dragon Trilogy, starting with Song of Fire. Seemed as good a way as any to reboot my old LP channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01XZlhdtNE

I intend to go through the entire [censored] series on Normal, keeping track of my failures but only showing the successful missions. Comment on the videos to request a named soldier, including what name you want.
Xanri

Post by Xanri »

mantra wrote:I'm trying to get through The Seer's Prophecy and the game keeps crashing on me. :cry:
I'm on turn twelve
Spoiler:
Every time I hit end turn, the other sides start their turns, I believe it gets through at least one side's turn but in the middle of the purple side's turn (I think it's the purple one), the game crashes. I've tried on 12.0.4 and 12.0.5 and it happens all the same.

This could just be a weird OS X issue, but I thought I'd mention it.

In the meanwhile, I'll try starting the scenario over again. If you need a save file or the crash report, let me know.
Got the same problem here - at turn twelve, when the northern purple mage in the castle moves the game crashes. Playing on OpenSuse, wesnoth version is 1.12.0
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Hello everyone! Just passing by to remind you that I'm still alive and haven't forgotten about this game :P
Just kidding... Well, at least this hiatus of mine didn't last as long as the last one. But even though I was offline, I was working (slowly but surely) on Aria of the Dragon-Slayer, and have given a few more tweaks to it.
Mainly, I think I finally got rid of that bug in The Seer's Prophecy that caused the game to crash. At least it didn't crash when I played, so I suppose (and hope) that the bug has been succesfully dealt with :P

Aaand here goes the changelog for v. 1.0.1; there are a few more things I'd like to work on, but I think I'll focus on working my other campaigns for now. Now that I think about it, there hasn't been an update of Soldier of Wesnoth in more than a year... :shock:

Code: Select all

Changelog V. 1.0.1
- Scenarios:
    - Prelude of the Final War: Donar and Tallin are now under the player's control; small changes to dialogue.
	- The Sun Sets over Wesnoth: Galdra now receives more gold

- Artwork:
    - Changes to Galdra's portraits

- Units
    - Changes to Wesir's sprite and portrait
Yeka11 wrote: and i really love this campaign. I have play all official campaign and several UMC campaign, and this is the best. I love Tenma :P
I'm so glad you've enjoyed it! ^_^ Gotta say, Tenma is one of the characters I enjoyed the most working with too :)
XxChronOblivionxX wrote:For anyone interested, I have just begun a full Youtube Let's Play of the entire Dragon Trilogy, starting with Song of Fire. Seemed as good a way as any to reboot my old LP channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01XZlhdtNE

I intend to go through the entire [censored] series on Normal, keeping track of my failures but only showing the successful missions. Comment on the videos to request a named soldier, including what name you want.
I'm watching the first video, I'm really honoured that you're making a walkthrough of the Dragon Trilogy! I mean, it's the first time someone ever makes a walkthrough of a story I made ^_^
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

HELP!!!! Scenario 6 Underground War does not start. The game crashes and the following error message appears.

Error while playing the game : game_error; unknown unit type: Troll Warlord

Please fix this quickly, i am loving tenma's story so far and feel very restless getting stuck here. If possible could u just tell me how to fix it so that i don't have to wait for the next update ? ;) I looked in the code but don't see any mention of troll warlord anywhere plus the unit file for this unit is clearly missing...
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Sudipta wrote:HELP!!!! Scenario 6 Underground War does not start. The game crashes and the following error message appears.

Error while playing the game : game_error; unknown unit type: Troll Warlord

Please fix this quickly, i am loving tenma's story so far and feel very restless getting stuck here. If possible could u just tell me how to fix it so that i don't have to wait for the next update ? ;) I looked in the code but don't see any mention of troll warlord anywhere plus the unit file for this unit is clearly missing...
Are you playing the latest version? The Troll Warlord is no longer defined as the troll leader's unit type... :hmm:
In any case, I'm sending in annex the two files that should solve this bug. Paste "characters.cfg" in the "utils" folder, then paste the "06_Underground_War.cfg" in the "scenarios" folder. This should solve the problem ;)
Attachments
characters.cfg
(22.25 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
06_Underground_War.cfg
(20.18 KiB) Downloaded 517 times

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

revansurik wrote:Are you playing the latest version? The Troll Warlord is no longer defined as the troll leader's unit type... :hmm:
In any case, I'm sending in annex the two files that should solve this bug. Paste "characters.cfg" in the "utils" folder, then paste the "06_Underground_War.cfg" in the "scenarios" folder. This should solve the problem ;)
Wow Thanks for the lightning fast response. I downloaded the new files and it works now. Thanks a lot!! I am playing on BfW 1.12.6 . I would have mentioned that but i was very distraught after meeting this unexpected obstacle :lol:

Let me take this opportunity to thank u for your brilliant campaigns. I love all of your campaigns and played soldier of wesnoth several times. I have played almost all the notable UMC's but, The dragon trilogy is my most favorite campaign series with the exception of shadowm's creations. ( its really hard to decide which is better, your dragon trilogy or shadowms IftU and AtS saga ) The best thing i like is your storytelling and dialogue, reading your lines feels like reading a novel, your english is that good.. BTW, u said u were going to publish books, i would be glad to read them, so as soon as u write them, let us know their names. Best of luck for all your endeavors.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Sudipta wrote: Wow Thanks for the lightning fast response. I downloaded the new files and it works now. Thanks a lot!! I am playing on BfW 1.12.6 . I would have mentioned that but i was very distraught after meeting this unexpected obstacle :lol:

Let me take this opportunity to thank u for your brilliant campaigns. I love all of your campaigns and played soldier of wesnoth several times. I have played almost all the notable UMC's but, The dragon trilogy is my most favorite campaign series with the exception of shadowm's creations. ( its really hard to decide which is better, your dragon trilogy or shadowms IftU and AtS saga ) The best thing i like is your storytelling and dialogue, reading your lines feels like reading a novel, your english is that good.. BTW, u said u were going to publish books, i would be glad to read them, so as soon as u write them, let us know their names. Best of luck for all your endeavors.
Lucky thing I was online just after you posted your message :D
I'm really glad that you've enjoyed it so much! ^_^ I have plans on publishing the trilogy I'm currently writing on Amazon; the first book is completed, but I haven't published it there yet. When I do, though, I'll let you know - just have in mind that this trilogy of books is quite different from the Dragon Trilogy, as it's sci-fi instead of fantasy ;)

P.S.: Forgot to add, I'm almost finishing a new version of Soldier of Wesnoth, with some new tweaks (such as more special items to be found in Oreyand's ruins) ;)

;-)
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

revansurik wrote:P.S.: Forgot to add, I'm almost finishing a new version of Soldier of Wesnoth, with some new tweaks (such as more special items to be found in Oreyand's ruins) ;)
Cool, thats gonna give me an excuse to replay SoW yet again. :D

Btw, Olokun's AMLA's which affect his resistances do not work. There are 2 of these, one which increases his resistance in forest terrain, the other which doubles his resistance in defence. Selecting any or both of them results in him having 0 % resistance to all attacks.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Sudipta wrote: Btw, Olokun's AMLA's which affect his resistances do not work. There are 2 of these, one which increases his resistance in forest terrain, the other which doubles his resistance in defence. Selecting any or both of them results in him having 0 % resistance to all attacks.
Um, didn't notice that in my last play... It's not like those are the first AMLA's I choose anyway, that's why I didn't notice it before :P

;-)
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

revansurik wrote:
Sudipta wrote: Btw, Olokun's AMLA's which affect his resistances do not work. There are 2 of these, one which increases his resistance in forest terrain, the other which doubles his resistance in defence. Selecting any or both of them results in him having 0 % resistance to all attacks.
Um, didn't notice that in my last play... It's not like those are the first AMLA's I choose anyway, that's why I didn't notice it before :P
Well you have to choose them sometime.. :) Also, Cornelyas AMLA of improving her healing ability does not work, there are no changes applied once its selected. I suggest you go over all the AMLA mechanics in the game. Is it intentional that Valerya has the default AMLA ? Seems kinda unfair not to give her some good AMLA's like the others.
And Captain Donar does not have a sprite... which leads to strange stuff in the battlefield. The invisible ghost going around killing everyone :lol:
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Sudipta wrote: Well you have to choose them sometime.. :) Also, Cornelyas AMLA of improving her healing ability does not work, there are no changes applied once its selected. I suggest you go over all the AMLA mechanics in the game. Is it intentional that Valerya has the default AMLA ? Seems kinda unfair not to give her some good AMLA's like the others.
And Captain Donar does not have a sprite... which leads to strange stuff in the battlefield. The invisible ghost going around killing everyone :lol:
Geesh, I think I forgot to correct the missing sprite problem in my last play... :doh:
As for Valerya, the idea behind her not getting special AMLA is that she's pretty much at the apex of her power already (she's been living and kickin' ass for over 700 years by the time of the story), so, if I gave her even more special abilities and attacks, she'd be way too OP ;)

;-)
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Your argument about valerya makes sense. shes already too powerful.
Anyway, another minor problem i noticed is that whenever i tried to see the profile of any dokkor units or any of the heroes, it says unknown unit, and then i have to manually search out the profile for those units. a minor issue but pretty vexing.
Another thing - in the scenarios northern alliances and memories the TOD is fixed at second dusk for the entire scenarios. Now, i dont know your logic behind this but from a gameplay point of view, this decreases battle diversity since there quite a few different factions in these 2 scenarios, so varying TOD would be nice here, particularly the stormy variant or the two sun schedule.

EDIT: I noticed something about the carryover system- in the scenarios which have a cutscene on a separate map after the objectives are completed, (after scenario won) the early finish bonus is calculated by taking the turn income to 2, since the cutscene map has no villages instead of taking the number of villages on the battle map.. Not that i'm complaining, this actually helps to balance gold in many parts of the campaign, but still i'm pointing it out in case this is unintentional. An example is the scenario Memories, but there are quite a few more instances of this.

Edit 2: Found another problem. I'm writing it here instead of making a new post. In the scenario Frosty Shores, none of my allies vision is shared with me. Basically i cannot see what my allies are doing unless i have a unit within range of them.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Sudipta wrote:Your argument about valerya makes sense. shes already too powerful.
Anyway, another minor problem i noticed is that whenever i tried to see the profile of any dokkor units or any of the heroes, it says unknown unit, and then i have to manually search out the profile for those units. a minor issue but pretty vexing.
Another thing - in the scenarios northern alliances and memories the TOD is fixed at second dusk for the entire scenarios. Now, i dont know your logic behind this but from a gameplay point of view, this decreases battle diversity since there quite a few different factions in these 2 scenarios, so varying TOD would be nice here, particularly the stormy variant or the two sun schedule.

EDIT: I noticed something about the carryover system- in the scenarios which have a cutscene on a separate map after the objectives are completed, (after scenario won) the early finish bonus is calculated by taking the turn income to 2, since the cutscene map has no villages instead of taking the number of villages on the battle map.. Not that i'm complaining, this actually helps to balance gold in many parts of the campaign, but still i'm pointing it out in case this is unintentional. An example is the scenario Memories, but there are quite a few more instances of this.

Edit 2: Found another problem. I'm writing it here instead of making a new post. In the scenario Frosty Shores, none of my allies vision is shared with me. Basically i cannot see what my allies are doing unless i have a unit within range of them.
The idea behind the 'perennial twilight' is that, in the Far North, the sun never rises high in the sky due to the planet's inclination. I was thinking about how the sun stays close to the horizon in utmost regions such as Norway (I've never been there, though, so maybe I'm picturing this effect wrongly :P )
About the carryover, well, that's something I'd never noticed before. I've never felt troubled by it, though, but maybe I should thinking of a workaround to it... :hmm:

;-)
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

More feedback-
1.In legacy of the first, in the beginning it says no gold carried over but after meeting the orc clan, it says 40% carryover.
2.In Fires of hatred, some of the villages are invisible and can only be noticed by their flags while others appear as runes on the ground
3.In Crimson caves, the conversation with the friednly vampire lord is triggered long before i meet them or any other enemies. Also, when meet the rebel dwarves and the dialogue event between narthol and ansaxa is triggered, my air spirit( the first unit to see the enemy dwarves) got magically teleported to inside the dwarven lords chamber and killed off. It was funny as hell
4.In crimson caves, i do not share the line of sight of my allies, i.e. i cant see what they see
5.In the Seer's Prophecy, Wesir Amarnat, the umbra master does not have a sprite. Another invisible ghost, the twin of captain Donar as far as i can see :lol:
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Urgent!!! The legendary Dragon Slayer whom Irdya has been awaiting for five millenia is missing unit description. And u really overdid it here. The Lv 7 Dragon Slayer makes all other god-like beings pale in comparison. Don't u think its a little too much power? Her attacks and abilities are wayyyy off the charts. Even the god-like guardians in AtS don't have as much hp and power as Tenma. But she's cool as fck now that's certain. :mrgreen:
And that note about Tenma still being mortal is unnecessary. In my playthrough, even if all the remaining enemies ganged up on her, she'd still win no doubt. Her sprite is really well made. Did u make it? But IMO, her new portrait could use some work. A kick-ass character like her really deserves a better portrait. No offense intended of course.

I encountered this error more than ten times in this map. First time i clicked abort and wesnoth crashed. After that i used ignore and it worked fine.
Spoiler: