[1.14][WIP] Vision of a Shaman

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: A Vilkish Tale

Post by Inky »

A Vilkish Tale version 0.6.1

Hey, I've played the first 3 scenarios so far and it was really fun! The Vilkish units are awesome and the sprites are just amazing 8) I'll try to play the rest tomorrow!

Unit balance: The level 2 and level 3 Hunter advancements (deerstalker/nimrod) seemed overpowered. They have more HP and damage than Elvish Rangers/Elvish Avengers, in addition to 70% terrain defense in forest. I think they probably need lower damage and/or lower HP and/or 60% defense in forests instead of 70%.

Hunters are by far the most useful unit type so far; I used mostly hunter units, plus one or two ferals for marksman (though loyalists resist arcane so these aren't so great in this campaign) and a few warriors as cannon fodder (haven't leveled a single warrior so far :whistle: )

Scenario balance: (played on Hard)
-S3 Fighting Orcs is much too easy: 220 gold vs. 340 and you have a ton of veterans and start with free loyals. Either the player should get less gold or the orcs need more gold.
-S6b Battle of Antoria is impossible to win right now, because the allied dwarf gets overrun by the shocktrooper mob before you can reach that part of the map. Maybe make it so you don't have to keep the allied leader alive (if he gets killed he can flee, to keep the story consistent).

Other:
-Dorin the dwarvish pathfinder (who joins in scenario 3) isn't loyal.
-S2 Liberation and S3 Fighting Orcs: The objectives say the gold carryover is 40%, but it is actually using the 80% system so you end up with minimum gold the next scenario.
-Typo in the campaign description: "This campaign tales the story" -> This campaign tells the story
I didn't go through the other text since the dialogue and story are still in an early state, but I'd be happy to go through them when they are more complete!
Replay Summaries
S1 Strangers. Recruited a mix of hunters and warriors and sent everyone into the forest northeast of the keep. The humans arrived at nighttime and with the help of some luck most of them were wiped out during the first night. Finished turn 13/18.

S2 Liberation. 172 starting gold. Waited in the forest east of the keep for the loyalists to arrive, got rid of most of them during the night, and circled around to kill the human leaders and then head north to kill the elvish leader. Finished turn 20/21 (it took a bit longer to finish due to bad RNG so the turn limit should be okay)

S3 Fighting orcs. Spammed ranged units and used a couple fodder warriors to distract the orcs during the first night, then easily wiped them out during dawn/day. Finished turn 10/18.
Attachments
avt-Strangers_replay.gz
Scenario 1 (Wesnoth 1.13.8)
(16.85 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
avt-Liberation_replay.gz
Scenario 2
(37.22 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
avt-Fighting_Orcs_replay.gz
Scenario 3
(20.55 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Played a couple more scenarios, didn't manage the last one though :P

General balance: I think it's a bit limiting that the only type of ranged damage you have access to is pierce. There's really no way to deal with all the HI/shocktroopers in this campaign besides pelting them with lots of arrows or risk attacking them with your healers.

A note about gold: I think the default minimum gold is 100, so you'd have to set the gold to 0 in cutscenes to get the carryover to work properly. (For example the S3 Tarmak cutscene gives you 100 gold, maybe that was why the next scenario was much too easy.)
Scenario balance
S 6b Battle of Antoria:
I had to debug the allied dwarf leader some extra HP a couple times, because the dwarves decided to go for a walk in the forest and were almost instantly wiped out. Other than that the scenario wasn't too hard though. One way to help the dwarves would be to add a lot of hills outside of their cave, which would slow down the shocktroopers and also make the dwarves not die quite so fast.
Actually I think it would nice to have a completely different map, because for a 6 scenario campaign having the same map twice feels a bit repetitive.
avt-Battle_of_Antoria_replay.gz
debugged the ally some HP a couple times
(38.02 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
S 6a Battle of Tarmak:
I found this scenario to be significantly more difficult than the 6b branch, and impossible to win at the moment. The map layout makes it so that all four enemy armies converge on you at the same time, and even with the terrain advantage of the keeps it's not possible to hold them all off. Also, the allied orc leader will rush out to attack and get himself killed.
One way to make the scenario more manageable (besides reducing enemy gold by a lot) might be to add lots of rough terrain like forest around the loyalist keeps to slow them down, so you could deal with the elves first and then the loyalists later. Or maybe put a lot of mountains/hills around the keeps, this would also allow the player to make use of the troll whelp recruits which are otherwise useless.

S7 Shadows of the Mountains:
I think that shadows need to be removed from the southern leader's recruit list because it makes the scenario too difficult, as it's almost impossible to make a formation where you won't get backstabbed when everyone is running for their lives. I won on my first attempt (with a bit of luck) but only because the southern leader didn't recruit shadows; I attempted the scenario again a couple times to see if I could get more carryover but I was unable to win in large part due to the shadows.

In the objectives, I wouldn't include the "defeat all enemy leaders" bonus objective, because besides not being possible, it doesn't seem like there is actually a reward for doing so?
avt-Shadows_of_the_Mountains_replay.gz
(28.14 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
S8 Battle of Lakeshore:
I didn't even come close to winning this one :whistle:
The problem here is that the enemy has a huge gold advantage (about 250 player gold + 240 useless allies' gold vs. 1400 enemy gold), and because you need to protect the useless allies you're forced to put your units on the flat terrain east of the keeps, where they do not last long.
I think there needs to be a lot more forest/mountains/hills surrounding the keeps so the player can make a defensive line there. Even then I'm not sure it's winnable with such a huge gold difference.
I'd be happy to playtest any changes you make to these scenarios :)

Thanks for making this awesome campaign! I love the Vilkai faction (my favorite unit is the Feral, with the arcane claws). Looking forward to see the rest of the dialogue/story get added!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Inky wrote:General balance: I think it's a bit limiting that the only type of ranged damage you have access to is pierce. There's really no way to deal with all the HI/shocktroopers in this campaign besides pelting them with lots of arrows or risk attacking them with your healers.
Well, Bitron decided to make a fire-using ghost line for the faction. This might adress this issue
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

First things first: Thank you Inky for the playthrough, happy you could made it!
Pretty curious about your replays, just about to have a look at them.

To the feedback
ForestDragon wrote:Well, Bitron decided to make a fire-using ghost line for the faction. This might adress this issue
Right, I've already done some balancing adjustments to the faction. It concerns the HI, as well as the little overpowered deerstalker and nimrod and some other minorities. I'll probably upload the next version for both the faction and campaign at once by the end of this week.

Well, actually I did not concider the ancestral ghosts for the campaign because, storywise, they are very rare. Basically, the vilkai don't believe in god but their ancestors, so they are not something you sent to the battlefield, at least not just like an usual soldier. They will have their place in a campaign, but probably not as such. So in terms of HI I will probably just set a limit to a few per side so they can be beaten. I ... or ... wait... I might have an idea... hehehe *taking notes*.

Anyways,
I will regard everything you said, changes will then be visible in the changelogs. Thanks again, Inky. (:
Inky wrote:Thanks for making this awesome campaign! I love the Vilkai faction (my favorite unit is the Feral, with the arcane claws). Looking forward to see the rest of the dialogue/story get added!
Glad to hear you liked it. ^_^
I think my heart is with the shamans, but the feral is right behind, yeah. :P
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Due to some changes to the vilkai which cause compability problems, I have removed this campaign from the add-on servers for now. It will be uploaded again with a the release of a new version. Most definitely under a new name as well.
Bitron
Developer

Re: Vision of a Shaman

Post by Bitron »

So then. Vision of a Shaman Version 0.1.0 (aka A Vilkish Tale v0.6.2) is up in Wesnoth 1.12 and 1.13.

Code: Select all

A Vilkish Tale (v0.6.1) -> Vision of a Shaman 0.1.0

General
	* NOTE: Some units have changed due to the Vilkai Era -> Millenium Era Update
	* Added CHAPTERS!
	* There will be (probably) five chapters. 
	* For now, only the second Chapter is playable as it is the former "A Vilkish Tale" campaign.

Scenarios
	* Strangers
		* added and updated story dialoques
		* removed Dragoon from Haddad's recruit list
	* Liberation
		* added and updated story dialoques
		* set turn limit from 25|23|21 to 28|25|22
	* Tarmak
	* Fighting Orcs
		* Tazgosh has a partner now. You have to fight two orcs.
		* removed Dwarvish Guardsman von S1 recruit list
	* Barag Gor
	* removed scenario "Battle of Tarmak"
	* Battle of Antoria
	* Shadows of the Mountains
		* changed undead recruits
	* removed scenario "Battle of Tarmak"
	* added scenario 8 "Silniel"
	* added scenario 9 "Homecoming"
	* added scenario 10 "Epiloque"

Misc and fixes
	* typo correction in campaign description
	* fixed Dorin beeing not loyal
	* fixed gold carryover issues in all scenarios
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

small issue fixing update with Version 0.1.1.
changelog

Version 0.1.1

Chapter II: A Thelian Tale

* Misc and fixes
	* fixed issues with old IDs (Vilkish ... -> Thelian ...)
	* fixed dialoque parts using the old name
	* fixed last breath macros
Last edited by Bitron on June 27th, 2017, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: macros, not marcos...
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Bitron wrote:small issue fixing update with Version 0.1.1.
changelog

Version 0.1.1

Chapter II: A Thelian Tale

* Misc and fixes
	* fixed issues with old IDs (Vilkish ... -> Thelian ...)
	* fixed dialoque parts using the old name
	* fixed Last Breath Marcos
Those poor Marcos...
:P
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
warlon

Post by warlon »

hey i only would like to know if you are finishing this campaign
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

I'm quite short on time lately, but I intend to finish the campaign, yes.