My very first campaign "Stormtrooper"

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Szturmowiec

Re: Where to place my scenario and some legal questions

Post by Szturmowiec »

Thanks for letting me know, but I asked rather about if I should use "my style" units or stick to the vanilla Wesnoth... By the way, I'm not sure (maybe because I'm starting to feel tired), but is it possible to put this modify_unit command in such a way so I can halve the damage and double the number of attacks for every single unit in the scenario, be it an unit already present on the battlefield, unit possible for recruitment or a veteran from the recall list?
That was the hell of a firefight. And the ammunition depleted so fast... I'm pinned down by those damned machine guns and don't know what to do next.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

I'd stick with vanilla Wesnoth, simply because it is just more work for you to do for now.
Szturmowiec wrote:but is it possible to put this modify_unit command in such a way so I can halve the damage and double the number of attacks for every single unit in the scenario, be it an unit already present on the battlefield, unit possible for recruitment or a veteran from the recall list?
there are plenty ways to achieve that. for example an event name=recruit with an emty [filter] tag. this would be called every time a unit gets recruited. You can filter the recruited unit by id=unit then to modify it. There are more examples, probably even better ones, but thats what would think of first.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Szturmowiec wrote:I simply doubled the number of attacks for every single unit (and of course halved the damage).
Well one issue is it would make the combats take twice as long, I think watching each unit attack 6/8 etc. times in a large battle would get annoying even with accelerated speed. There is also the balance issue of units with poison/slow getting twice as many chances to hit. Personally I would prefer units having the regular amount of attacks, it's easier to make calculations when the number of strikes is low.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Szturmowiec wrote:About the conditions, I will change that, but firstly i thought that "kill the enemy leader" sounds too simple and wanted something different.
It's certainly a good thing to try to be original, just make sure you are also clear and unambiguous though. If you find an original sentence which is equivalent to 'kill the enemy leader' that's fine, you can use it to add some flavor, but do not confuse the player.
Szturmowiec wrote:By the way, I'm not sure (maybe because I'm starting to feel tired), but is it possible to put this modify_unit command in such a way so I can halve the damage and double the number of attacks for every single unit in the scenario, be it an unit already present on the battlefield, unit possible for recruitment or a veteran from the recall list?
as Bitron says, there are several ways of doing this if you want, and it's probably a good way to learn some more wml if you have the time. For example you can assign a silent object to units with start and recruit events. You'd probably need to do it also after advancements, because for many units the number of attacks changes with level . you can ask this in the WML workshop section, or you can try to look at how similar stuff is done in mainline/UMC campaigns. In general, however, I agree with Inky, this could make battles too long. Maybe do it only for the units with low attack count and without special abilities (e.g. ruffians)?
Szturmowiec

Post by Szturmowiec »

I'd stick with vanilla Wesnoth, simply because it is just more work for you to do for now.
The work isn't a problem for me at all. If that was the only reason to stop me from doing this, I'd rather ignore it and proceed. I asked because I know that many players have accepted the RNG, leading them not going to like my solution (especially the veterans ready for the "the hell of a warfare" difficulty), but on the other hand in taht particular scenario it could help a lot in holdnig ground with nothing bu zeros, and as for the next scenarios I could design them having modified units in mind.
That was the hell of a firefight. And the ammunition depleted so fast... I'm pinned down by those damned machine guns and don't know what to do next.
Szturmowiec

Post by Szturmowiec »

There is also the balance issue of units with poison/slow getting twice as many chances to hit.
Point taken, didn't think about it earlier.
Well one issue is it would make the combats take twice as long
Well, on the other hand I like watching them fighting, never felt frustrated about that, even during the longest battles (but that's just my very own point of view and I understand how someone may not like it)
Maybe do it only for the units with low attack count and without special abilities (e.g. ruffians)
Sounds intersting, but I'd rather keep vanilla Wesnoth and "my style" units separated and do not mix them, that could break the balance a bit (imagine a spearman missing it's 3 attacks while your ruffian has 4 and it's nighttime...)
Szturmowiec

Post by Szturmowiec »

So yeah, propably gonna stay with vanilla units and keep these modified units only for myself... That would mean harder testing and balancing for me, but I can overcome it, i think.
Szturmowiec

Re: My very first campaign "Stormtrooper"

Post by Szturmowiec »

Hello everyone,

I am glad to announce you that I updated "Stormtrooper". I considered your feedback about the first scenario and modified it a little, also the second scenario is ready (it is very likely that I will polish it, because I'm not 100% happy with it's current state, but these are rather small changes and now it is fully playable).

All advice/suggestions/opinions are welcome.

Enjoy! :D
Szturmowiec

Post by Szturmowiec »

Version 0.3 with 3 scenarios available is out, feel free to check it.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hey Szturmowiec, I've played through the first 3 scenarios of your campaign :)

General:
Turn limits: I think it might be a good idea to add turn limits to the scenarios, even if there is no gold carryover. Besides the possibility of farming infinite XP from a scenario, not having a turn limit usually means that the best strategy is to play very very defensively, which is not the most interesting strategy.

Recalls: Seems like in S2 you don't get access to your S1 recalls, then in S3 you get your S1 recalls back but not the S2 recalls - is that the intent?
It's also a bit confusing how the recruit list changes every scenario, is there some kind of story reason?

Scenario 1: (played on Easy)
I recruited mainly ruffians (since they're chaotic and the intelligent ones only need 2 kills to level) and woodsmen, and rushed them north so they could try to pick off some loyalists during midnight/second watch. Managed to level a couple thugs thanks to some good RNG. It took a lot of turns to kill the pikeman leader since he has 40% resistance to the woodsman's ranged attack which is the only thing you can use against him, maybe he could be a swordsman/lieutenant instead so it doesn't take so long (this wouldn't affect the difficulty since by the time you're attacking the leader you likely already have a huge advantage). Finished turn 19.

Even on the easiest difficulty I think it needs a bit of luck. I don't think the other two difficulties are possible (without extremely good RNG that is). I would maybe change the current easiest difficulty to the hardest.

Scenario 2: (played on Hard)
Hehe, I had a "creative" strategy for this one - I made a giant mage gang (only recruited mages) and blitzed the central leader, so I was able to get to the village just as the second leader's units got there. Finished turn 8.
I guess if you don't want the player to be able to do this, you could give the central leader stronger units or add some enemies in the southwest.

Scenario 3: (played on Hard)
Much too easy! I just spammed only poachers since the enemies almost exclusively had melee units, and since it was perpetual night the poachers just demolished the spearmen and sergeants- I leveled 7 trappers and a ranger in this scenario! Finished turn 23.

The enemy recruit list could definitely use some more variety, especially the northern leader who only recruits sergeants. I would add some ranged units in, so the player has incentive to recruit something besides just poachers.
Another thing that makes this scenario very easy is that the pikeman leader's units act extremely passively, so it's easy to wipe out the northern leader's army first before going to deal with the western army.
Other ways to make the scenario harder would be changing the time of day schedule to include some daylight turns, or giving the player less starting gold.

Some typos:
S1 storytext: infiltarte -> infiltrate, infecton -> infection
S1 starting dialogue: I need to break throught -> through
S2 storytext: terryfying -> terrifying

Good luck on making the rest of your campaign! :D
Attachments
ST-Laying_siege_replay.gz
S3 - featuring lots and lots of poachers :P
(38.28 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
ST-Dynamic_regeneration_replay.gz
S2 - featuring a horde of mages
(27.01 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
ST-The_Bergen_Assault_replay.gz
S1 - featuring good RNG
(17.46 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Szturmowiec

Post by Szturmowiec »

Inky wrote: Seems like in S2 you don't get access to your S1 recalls, then in S3 you get your S1 recalls back but not the S2 recalls - is that the intent?
Yes, it should be like that since the fight with the infection is something different than the mainline warfare (as it was mentioned in the description, you don't have to understand the story, so don't ask me why), so you have different forces for this task. The infection fight consists of scenarios 2 and 4(work in progress), an for these two you'll use different army.
Inky wrote:I think it might be a good idea to add turn limits to the scenarios
As for the second one, there'll be turn limit, since even the main character mentions that he must hurry because there isn't much time left before the real battle begins, I've just not adjusted it yet, because that required someone to test it. As for the third one, I may also add turn limit (since that "battle" in real life didn't take that long ;) ), but as for the first one I'd rather not... Besides that, I don't understand why others would like to milk exp. It's simply boring when there's no challenge left and you just wait killing enemy units one by one...
Inky wrote:a giant mage gang
Don't worry, I'll add some more melee enemy units stong enough to smash it :twisted:
Inky wrote:add some enemies in the southwest
That's where you start... I'd rather not add enemy stronghold right next to your starting position.

As for the third one I'll try to redesign recruit lists and starting units in such a way that you'll regret relying on poachers so much... :twisted: There'll be a tough firefight if you do it for the second time, trust me.

I'll try to apply your sugestions till evening and release the update.
Thanks again for your feedback!
Szturmowiec

Post by Szturmowiec »

Version 0.3.1 is out, The first scenario should be easier right now, while scenarios 2 ad 3 are designed to be way harder so now a horde of mages or poachers shouldn't let you blitz through them.
Szturmowiec

Post by Szturmowiec »

I've completed the 4th scenario. I hope you like it, it's the scenario into which I put more effort than into any other scenario so far.
Szturmowiec

Post by Szturmowiec »

The 5th, last scenario is complete. That means that I've finished my work on the campaign. Only balance issues may occur and I'll try to hunt them down, but expect this everything is finished (at least I hope it is).
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S1
Untill -> Until

S3
with same -> with the same
The recruited Dune Riders are liminal instead of chaotic.

I seem to have access to my S2 units, which should not be the case. ...apparently some of them were renamed? Confusing.