Spacenoth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ekolis

Spacenoth

Post by ekolis »

OK, feel free to flame me, but I like space strategy games and I like Wesnoth... so why not combine the two and make a space mod for Wesnoth! :shock: Replace all the units with spaceships and the terrain with appropriate stuff (grassland -> empty space, swamp -> nebula, village -> planet, castle -> starbase, etc.) The attacks and special abilities would have to be changed too - instead of a Red Mage's Fireball being a Fire attack, you could have a Qeson Battleship's EMP Cannon being an Energy Pulse attack... "healers" could become "repair tenders"... "commanders" could be "shipyards"...
Hey, a fantasy mod for Space Empires IV has already been done... why not the other way around? ;)
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I think there is one thing you have to know, and it is that making such an era would be (very) hard work. It would take monthes to make all the graphics, to make balanced units and factions... But if you're ready to make all that work, then do it.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
unsung

Post by unsung »

don't worry noine of the regulars will flame you over this!
so long as you don't say make wewsnoth into it but just want to make a mod, most people will encourage you.

I like this idea. if you can get it underway, and to a playable state, I'll help you with things like balancing units and looking for bugs. (I can't do much else, besides iinform you of logical things, correcting your gramar, and RARELY thinking of ideas)

if oyu can get art, and seem to know what your doing, you may get some actuall help.

I'd avoid putting buildings in though. make tht kind of modifaction to the game engine would likely be a lot of work.

make those into the equivalent of villages instead.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

unsung wrote:correcting your gramar
What about spelling and capitalization? :P
unsung

Post by unsung »

Zebulon wrote:
unsung wrote:correcting your gramar
What about spelling and capitalization? :P
only if i feel like it and I don't right now.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Marines!!!
Attachments
laser-marine.png
laser-marine.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
private1.png
private1.png (1.53 KiB) Viewed 6542 times
private2.png
private2.png (1.45 KiB) Viewed 6541 times
appleide

Post by appleide »

So Fmunoz, how would you propose these marines to go into empy space and fight against spaceships?

Your marines look cool, anyhow.

Though, It would be MUCH easier to make an era that is set in the future on a particular planet rather than empty space. i.e, races like ones in Starcraft.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Just posted some random pics :-) barely on topic
scott

Post by scott »

SINR

Edit: Sorry to anyone acronym-averse. It's Spacenoth is Not Reality :)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

So Fmunoz, how would you propose these marines to go into empy space and fight against spaceships?
Um. Just add helmets? Like Starcraft.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

There were designed to make a marine vs alien mod of wesnoth...last year
so no helmet then... the other units, the medic and the heavy weapon wileders were nerver done (nor the aliens)
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Humans vs aliens era should be rather cool.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

appleide wrote:So Fmunoz, how would you propose these marines to go into empy space and fight against spaceships?

Your marines look cool, anyhow.

Though, It would be MUCH easier to make an era that is set in the future on a particular planet rather than empty space. i.e, races like ones in Starcraft.
So this one-manned (maybe even unmanned) vehicles start raining down on an orbital platform, the marines can't move onto open space so they just wait at the border and shoot.

Someone knows how to code a real "flying" unit? (land units can't stop it from moving through them).

An there was this droid army idea right?...
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:Someone knows how to code a real "flying" unit? (land units can't stop it from moving through them).
You can give it skrimisher, there cant be two units on single hex or you need to change game code AFAIK.
Arcamis

Post by Arcamis »

I'm actually surprised how few space marines there are in open-space sci-fi games. It's not as if you need a massive engine to propel yourself through space, you only need it to get out there in the first place. It makes sense to have cheap personel out there with jet-packs and machine/laser guns so you aren't always outnumbered by the massive swarms of aliens while your gunships can't turn their weapons fast enough to kill all the aliens, space marines are actually in the middle of the combat, able to look in all directions.