Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Minimap Colors

Post by LordBob »

Hi guys. I've updated the terrain color for the semantic minimap display, with an emphasis on darker, greyer colors so that the bright team colors of units should now stand out. If anyone wants to have a go before I commit, you can replace your existing team_colors.cfg with the attached (on 1.11.7+dev, of course).

Let me know what you think. The new colors are as follows. They're still the same hues as the terrain type icons, so there shouldn't be a need to revise those.
Attachments
team-colors.cfg
(11.39 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
minimap-colors.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

They work much better than the older ones, I have put them in use to get them into 1.11.8.
Which does not necessarily mean that they must be final.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I realize this is probably a little late, but I think mixing (as in, blending) the colours is actually a very bad idea. Village, forest, castle, and keep can all be combined with several different base terrains, so mixing the colours seems to kind of defeat the purpose of having unique semantic colours for each terrain type. For example, thanks to this mixing, there is in fact no single semantic colour for "village", nor for "forest"; instead there are five or six distinct semantic colours for each one. And have you tested that all of the possible blended combinations are distinct?

Other forms of mixing might work better, maybe some sort of (very coarse) dithering or splitting the hex diagonally and painting the base colour in one half and the overlay colour in the other half (though both would probably still cause issues in the case of terrains that combine three or more base types).

On a tangential note, it strikes me as odd that the minimap tiles are drawn rectangular when they're representing hexagonal tiles.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.