Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
The_Gnat

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by The_Gnat »

@doofus-01 - (it is hard to tell whether your previous post is sarcastic or if it is not) either way Great! ;) :D
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:In fact, indexed might be marginally better since it could potentially reduce the filesize.
For a Wesnoth sprite, indexed is about 2.5 times smaller, and exactly the same quality. However, some tools (including GIMP) don't allow partially-transparent shadows or blurs in an indexed image. They get rendered and saved as opaque unless you use RGB, which may be why many sprites are saved that way.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:Only because you asked nicely, The_Gnat. ;)
Here are all the zombie frames. Soulless is still yet to be done.
Cool, looks very good. I'll wait for the soulless version, since it's kind of impossible to have only one and not the other.
doofus-01 wrote:By the way, the zombie wolf sprite came up as Indexed when I opened it in GIMP, not RGB. Not sure if that matters.
I don't think it matters in this case. Yes, images are "supposed" to be 32-bit and in the past we've had problems when png compressors have converted images to indexed format, but the problem was that they actually subtly changed the colours in the process, resulting in for example TC breaking.

But yeah, to avoid any confusion I should somehow try to make my zopflipng routine not allow that to happen in the future.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote:I'll wait for the soulless version, since it's kind of impossible to have only one and not the other.
Here are soulless frames. (Yeah, they're just recolor & slight touch-up, but it wouldn't be the first such soulless, and I think they can be distinguished from WC in game.)
Attachments
soulless-gryphon.tar.gz
(27.77 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Okay, so, it seems zombie-gryphon-die-1.png is missing, and also the soulless animation frames don't have the same recolouring as the base frame. The latter might not be noticeable enough to be a problem in-game, but I didn't check. Just saying in case it was unintentional.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote: it seems zombie-gryphon-die-1.png is missing,
Oops. Here it is.
zombie-gryphon-die-1.png
zombie-gryphon-die-1.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
zookeeper wrote:nd also the soulless animation frames don't have the same recolouring as the base frame. The latter might not be noticeable enough to be a problem in-game, but I didn't check. Just saying in case it was unintentional
No, that was an accident, not sure what happened. I don't see it unless I look at the "html notation", but if it is noticeable to others I can fix it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great work doofus-01!

While we are discussing zombies and souless' i was wondering if you think it would be good to add this zombie and soulless wolf rider also.

Even though i believe there is a policy of no frankensprites in mainline i ask is because i believe it is a good sprite (though not the same quality as doofus-01's). And also i believe that a zombie wolf rider should be added and this is certainly better than nothing. (also it is fully animated)

Of course if you think that it would be better to not include it, or if doofus-01 would like to create his own version of the zombie wolf rider that is fine also and i will not take personal offense ;) .
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for the kind words, The_Gnat.
The_Gnat wrote:And also i believe that a zombie wolf rider should be added and this is certainly better than nothing. (also it is fully animated)
I'm not sure about this. We do have a zombie wolf now, that would surely work well enough. The horseman zombie has the corpse riding a carcass, but you could wave your hands and explain that away by saying:
The horse isn't the combatant (the mainline horseman units don't bite or kick, as far as I recall), while the wolf rider and gryphon rider are the brains directing their animals to do the fighting. Since zombies don't have a brain, the wolf & gryphon zombie rider is useless and just falls off. I guess the Goblin Pillager doesn't quite fit that, but it more or less fits.
This isn't my call, that's just my opinion. I'll admit, I'm biased towards not expanding the work-list, but I don't think I'm just rationalizing.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'll get the gryphon in as soon as I manage to actually compile the game again and test it...

As for the wolf rider, I don't really see the need. It would presumably have pretty much the same stats as the basic wolf version anyway, which already works perfectly fine for wolf riders as well. Arguably even the existing mounted variation wouldn't need the rider on it either, since that would make the variation suitable for other horse-based units too such as caravans and riderless/wild horses.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

zookeeper wrote: Under the Burning Suns (elves excluded; they're being worked on): Needs better sprites for ... Dawarf...
Do we actually need the Dawarf? I always found his concept quite...odd. If I'm not mistaken he doesn't play a huge part in the story. He could be replaced by another unit if he's just in for balance reasons.

If he (for whatever reason) needs to stay in the campaign, what are the problems with the sprite? I mean, even though he could use small update, he isn't that bad artwise. Are there any design problems/suggestions?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Vyncyn wrote:
zookeeper wrote: Under the Burning Suns (elves excluded; they're being worked on): Needs better sprites for ... Dawarf...
Do we actually need the Dawarf? I always found his concept quite...odd. If I'm not mistaken he doesn't play a huge part in the story. He could be replaced by another unit if he's just in for balance reasons.

If he (for whatever reason) needs to stay in the campaign, what are the problems with the sprite? I mean, even though he could use small update, he isn't that bad artwise. Are there any design problems/suggestions?
No, it doesn't really need to stay a Dawarf, it could be replaced with some other abominational monster too.

As for the sprite, I suppose there already is a better unanimated version of it (I didn't search for neo's original) that could be dropped in, maybe with a bit of reduction in size first.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

zookeeper wrote:As for the sprite, I suppose there already is a better unanimated version of it (I didn't search for neo's original) that could be dropped in, maybe with a bit of reduction in size first
Oh. Yeah I've read that; Looks like I completely repressed the memory :P .
There has been a minor discussion about removing him, but no actual conclusion regarding this or putting the new sprite in. So, what happens now? Is the size the only reason why he wasn't added?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Vyncyn wrote:Oh. Yeah I've read that; Looks like I completely repressed the memory :P .
There has been a minor discussion about removing him, but no actual conclusion regarding this or putting the new sprite in. So, what happens now? Is the size the only reason why he wasn't added?
I don't recall, but right now I don't see any other reasons. Possibly the size isn't even an issue, I haven't checked what it looks like in-game. I'll get to it sooner or later.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Some further work on the quenoth elves, basing on the unused work of Jetrel: attempted more nature-like colours and visuals for the shaman line.

More cleanup needed and I am not sure about the magical flames. Ideas?
Attachments
shaman-druid-shyde.png
shaman-druid-shyde.png (7.72 KiB) Viewed 3823 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Wow, I like these! I think the magical flames are great. Since she doesn't have wings, I suppose they have something to do with her flying ability (not to mention her attack).
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide