Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ForestDragon

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by ForestDragon »

Nice! :) some comments: I think the shyde would look better if she had teamcolor streaks hanging from her arms, like druid, and she should probably also have a greener/longer hanging skirt too, and longer hair
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Kwandulin wrote:Some further work on the quenoth elves, basing on the unused work of Jetrel: attempted more nature-like colours and visuals for the shaman line.
Mainly two things: still needs the lvl1 Mystic, and the Shyde should have wings and a staff. Also she probably shouldn't float that high, since it'd already take her 5px out of the hex. You could move the shadow up by at least 6px and it'd still look like she's floating.
Kwandulin wrote:More cleanup needed and I am not sure about the magical flames. Ideas?
Flames might fit the Sun Sylph better, especially when she's the one with the fire touch attack and no staff in the first place. The Shyde could have leaves, thorns, sand, or something like that floating about, instead, if you really want something extraordinary there. But I don't think it's necessary, since wings, levitation and magical vegetation is pretty special enough already.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

zookeeper wrote:Flames might fit the Sun Sylph better
I thought that was the Sun Sylph.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Further changes and tree overview:
Attachments
quenothmages.png
quenothmages.png (19.25 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Looks great! :) anyway, some more comments:
1.(sorry for repeating myself) I think shyde's right (staff-less) arm should have teamcolor streaks hanging from it, like on druid's right arm
2.sun singer (lvl2) should probably be holding a small flame in her hand, and maybe have slightly fancier clothes. She currently looks underwhelming', to be honest.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Shyde looks pretty great to me now.

Considering the Sun Sylph is as much a flyer as the Shyde, I think she should get some wings too. In principle, sure, wings could be a nature-faerie thing only, but levitating only with the power of fire seems like a pretty exceptional high-magic thing for units that still aren't exactly one-of-a-kind superbeings. Wings also act as an immediate visual cue that the unit is a flyer.

Maybe dragonfly-style wings would work nicely? They don't need to be as prominent as the Shyde's, since there's a level difference. Shyde is lvl4, Sun Sylph is lvl3.
Attachments
mystic_line.png
mystic_line.png (8.72 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Wow! These are amazing! It seems a shame to just use them in that one campaign though. It would be awesome if some Master :lol: created some more After the Fall campaigns so that we get to use these more.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Status quo including a less bulky mystic (the former one looks like she could lift a truck):

Edit: Also forgot about the small flame in the hand of the sun singer. I think that's a good idea and I'll certainly add it later.
Attachments
mystic_line.png
mystic_line.png (16.53 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
mystic-line.zip
(17.6 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Nice! :) the head on the lvl1 looks too big, though, I suggest shrinking it a bit. Also, as I said before, the sun singer (fire lvl2) looks a bit bland besides her hair. As I said before, giving her a flame in one hand would be a good idea.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Kwandulin wrote:Status quo including a less bulky mystic (the former one looks like she could lift a truck):
Well... she's just the Elvish Shaman recoloured, as was the old Desert Shaman. :whistle:

The Sun Sylph wings do look neat.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I think her hair is blending into the fire too much. I still greatly prefer black hair for these elves, but on the sun units, blond is appropriate. However, the fire should probably have its palette changed now so it conflicts less.

I tried making it more orange, but it only made things worse. Bluish looked nice though.
Attachments
bluish-fire.png
bluish-fire.png (3.33 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I saw a moon singer there for a moment... what would it take to keep that line in the game, again?
beetlenaut wrote:I still greatly prefer black hair for these elves, but on the sun units, blond is appropriate. However, the fire should probably have its palette changed now so it conflicts less.
Black is appropriate, sure, but I think red might also be appropriate. Just a thought.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

beetlenaut wrote:I still greatly prefer black hair for these elves, but on the sun units, blond is appropriate. However, the fire should probably have its palette changed now so it conflicts less.
I am not quite sure what you mean with black hair. I obviously can't put r,g,b=0,0,0 pixels in there. And compared to Kaleh's hair, the hair of the newest elves here looks rather black.

The blueish flames look nice!
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I saw a moon singer there for a moment... what would it take to keep that line in the game, again?
The reasoning behind their removal (better: non-implementation) is that the dichotomous sun/fire/lawful and moon/cold/chaotic branches looked to forced. They should be more than just that. Maybe keeping them as an optional advancement of the mystic/shaman that can be unlocked in the third scenario somehow (capturing the night in a moon crystal?) is a good idea.
Personally, I am also in favor of adding them, but I am not in charge.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Kwandulin wrote:I am not quite sure what you mean with black hair....compared to Kaleh's hair, the hair of the newest elves here looks rather black.
That's what I mean: Compared to Kaleh's and Nym's hair, these are better--they are closer to what LordBob is doing with the portraits. He has dozens of elves with inky, black hair. One of the concepts for the Sun Sylph had bright blond hair though, so that one is fine.
Kwandulin wrote:I obviously can't put r,g,b=0,0,0 pixels in there.
Sure, but you're nowhere close to that. I think it could still be darker, but with bright highlights.

I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate what you're doing though. This is great work, and my complaint wasn't a big thing. If you don't want to change it, I won't be offended.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Okay, hair overhaul, some shadow changes to the shyde, blue flames for the sun branch and a smaller flame for the sun singer.
Attachments
mystic-line.zip
(18.82 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
mystic_line.png
mystic_line.png (16.41 KiB) Viewed 3737 times