Grand Knight/Heavy Knight proposal

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:

Heavy knight

Post by Guest »

Well, I must admit that I like the yellow horse's outfit, but maybe have a silght preference for the blue, which looks like armor. Can we use the other one elsewhere (at least the horse bit)?

Nice job on the liches. I like the red stuff.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Good work. Again, I like 5a, but actually I think the hammer looked better when it was diagonal. It looks a bit unnatural when the rider is carrying it straight up, when attacks I assume he would swing the hammer horizontally across, not vertically up and down, so my point is that a hammer helf outwards diagonally looks more natural.

Are the lich's ranged attacks supposed to happen on after another, or are they two versions. I like the second ranged attack better.
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Quartex wrote:
Good work. Again, I like 5a, but actually I think the hammer looked better when it was diagonal. It looks a bit unnatural when the rider is carrying it straight up, when attacks I assume he would swing the hammer horizontally across, not vertically up and down, so my point is that a hammer helf outwards diagonally looks more natural.
Well, I keep intermediate versions, so all we have to do is select the definitive image, then animate it. Using 4b or 5a is just a matter of consensum. ¿Should I start a poll to this? :wink:
Are the lich's ranged attacks supposed to happen on after another, or are they two versions. I like the second ranged attack better.
They are supposed to be frames for the same attack :mrgreen: From starting stance, first ranged1, then ranged2.

Also, I'm preparing something Circon will surely like, can't tell more for the moment... 8) :twisted:
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

You could do a poll. However my point was not that I like 4b better than 5a. The new hammer is definitely better than the old solid black one, but what I meant was that you shouldn't have changed the angle of the hammer. That's all. I don't mean to be picky, and I like the revised hammer, I just thought holding it straight up and down looked a little unnatural.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I did a quick version of the knight myself, to show you my optimum version. The coloring of the hammer didn't quite come out right, but I was never very good at pixel art. Still, I think you'll get the idea. Attached is a gif version without the alpha channel, and a png version with alpha channel. (at least I used the same color of black for the background as you did)
Edit: The png one looks a bit funky, but it looked fine when I opened the saved file. The gif one should be fine, just replace the white with whatever background color you want.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Hmm, very nice lich! If it gets that picture, though, the range attack should prolly be made red rather than blue... which messes up the "cold" type.
Dunno what to do about that, except compliment your drawing.

I take it that the melee attack is supposed to have a blue drain thingyat the end of the arm? Might be useful to make the blue slightly darker and/or larger.
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Some fast comments, since I must leave within minutes:

The matter with the hammer in 4b is now resolved. I did it with XCF format, so I can keep shapes of different parts of the image and ease changes. Sorry I didn't understand you before, quartex. :(

I've quickly changed the main color of the 'spirits' of the lich to blue, so it fits properly with what is espected. Also modified melee attack, but haven't tested it with the mask.

I'll also start a poll, as soon as I have time (and know how to do it).

Here are the new images.
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

cobretti wrote:I'll also start a poll, as soon as I have time (and know how to do it).
New topic -> Add a poll