Castles (continued)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

miyo wrote:
MrMorose wrote:Instead of giving the defending units a defensive bonus, why not force the opponents to stop before scaling the walls. This would slow down an offence slightly while giving the defender some kind of bonus. The defender could, usually, stop one unit from entering the castle using two units.
This can already be achieved with ZoC.

- Miyo
Maybe the presence of the leader in the keep could generate a ZoC that extend 1 Hex further than normal (or 1 hex away from any castle Hex linked to the keep?), forcing enemies unit to pose for 1 turn even if the castle is not fully maned.
Anyway, what about the proposition to improve the defense for unit in a castle hex?
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Christophe33 wrote:
miyo wrote: This can already be achieved with ZoC.

- Miyo
Maybe the presence of the leader in the keep could generate a ZoC that extend 1 Hex further than normal (or 1 hex away from any castle Hex linked to the keep?), forcing enemies unit to pose for 1 turn even if the castle is not fully maned.
I like this idea. It would make castles more defensible, would take the burden off the AI having to defend against every single gryphon or horseman that comes anywhere near their leader, but I don't think it'd make castles too hard to capture.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Darth Fool wrote:I like the idea of having a "defensible" camp ala what the roman legions did: for example see
http://www.roman-empire.net/army/camp2.html or
http://www.romanarmy.com/Content/Travel ... /Camp1.jpg

The key would being to have tents inside a ditch/palisade that surrounds the whole thing and
not a bunch of hexes each with its own palisade...I guess the ditch/palisade could be done as a transtion?
It is possible to generate such camps using a terrain with some tents and a transition that include a pallisade (ditch migt be a bit too difficult). However the present system for transition implies that you have to make a picture for each type of transition (i.e every orientation and from 1 to 5 side of the hex covered by a pallisade) to get the pallisade looking right. That's about 6+5+4+3+2+1=21 pictures. If you want to do it, I can send you a file with my pallisade (I have each side in a different layer). Right now I have some other pictures to finish.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!