Got extra artistic energy? Other games to contribute to...

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Disto

Post by Disto »

On a serious note martenzo, now is the make or break of the project. The quicker we get a forum and website, and can get people interested. The quicker it can get off the ground. But people bore of long slow things so.... you can see where i'm going.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think forum is more important now.
Disto

Post by Disto »

tomsik wrote:I think forum is more important now.
I said that, anyway i got bored so i'm going to muck around with blender for a while.
Creator of the Marauders
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Blender manual is nice thing.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

martenzo: What with forum and hompage?
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I'm already working on it, I have a forum add-on for mambo downloaded, now I only have to install it and learn how to use it. seesh, it's not easy to run a project from the side of school.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
ElvenProgrammer

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Even if it seems this thread became a game development thread, I will post my item according to the title. :P

http://themanaworld.org

Even though we already have a nice flock of artists that works for us the development of this great MMORPG requires tons and tons of sprites to be done, so any help would be appreciated. I won't bother you with long description, and feel free to skip this post, but if you get interested, try it, believe me it's wort a try at least :wink:
Enjoy a new experience, feel the power of mana growing inside you!

Join now "The Mana World" now! The real free MMORPG.

http://www.themanaworld.org
vasc

Post by vasc »

Jetryl wrote:I theorize that freeciv has half the player base because:

a] It's essentially a clone/rip-off of an existing game. Many people just ... play civilization instead. Wesnoth is its own game.
Since when did that stop people from playing Warcraft? ;)

It is a mere clone of Dune II after all.
Jetryl wrote:b] It uses the x11 window manager instead of using the native one on non-linux platforms. On a mac this is, for all but unix hackers, a kiss of death. The x11 window manager is workable on a mac, but is far inferior to even a native linux x11 window manager, and of course it simply doesn't compare to aqua (but then, nothing really does).
Actually, the Windows GTK+ client does not require x11. GTK+ is 100% native in Windows.

There is no native GTK+ for MacOS X, because I guess no one bothered porting GTK+ to MacOS X yet. Well, many tried, but none pushed it all the way through. Tell you what, if you offer me a Mac, I will port GTK+ to it. :P
Jetryl wrote:The subtle things that really make the mac freakishly efficient, like proxy icons, a serious drag and drop implementation, exposé, and a window menu accessible in every program via either the menu bar or the dock are gone. Heck, it's worse than windows.

Same goes for the Gimp - almost no one on the mac uses it because it doesn't support the native gui, and is (on the mac) a real pain to install - you need to install a bunch of dependencies with fink first, or at least put x11 on.
Again, if GTK+ was ported to MacOS X, as it was ported to Windows by Tor Lillquist, you could run the Gimp without a x11 server.
Disto

Post by Disto »

vasc wrote:

a] It's essentially a clone/rip-off of an existing game. Many people just ... play civilization instead. Wesnoth is its own game.

But i believe it has better graphics, innovative and Dune || is getting a bit old.
Creator of the Marauders
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

vasc wrote:

Jetryl wrote:b] It uses the x11 window manager instead of using the native one on non-linux platforms. On a mac this is, for all but unix hackers, a kiss of death. The x11 window manager is workable on a mac, but is far inferior to even a native linux x11 window manager, and of course it simply doesn't compare to aqua (but then, nothing really does).
Actually, the Windows GTK+ client does not require x11. GTK+ is 100% native in Windows.

There is no native GTK+ for MacOS X, because I guess no one bothered porting GTK+ to MacOS X yet. Well, many tried, but none pushed it all the way through. Tell you what, if you offer me a Mac, I will port GTK+ to it. :P
Jetryl wrote:The subtle things that really make the mac freakishly efficient, like proxy icons, a serious drag and drop implementation, exposé, and a window menu accessible in every program via either the menu bar or the dock are gone. Heck, it's worse than windows.

Same goes for the Gimp - almost no one on the mac uses it because it doesn't support the native gui, and is (on the mac) a real pain to install - you need to install a bunch of dependencies with fink first, or at least put x11 on.
Again, if GTK+ was ported to MacOS X, as it was ported to Windows by Tor Lillquist, you could run the Gimp without a x11 server.
*cough*fink*cough*

X11 is on the install disk(and the apple website) anyways... So what is the problem? And I play freeciv because I am too paranoid to get a pirated version, and I dislike spending money on strategy games. Then again, I only use x11 for unix and linux ports.

EDIT:http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk-osx/
vasc

Post by vasc »

First of all, I would like to congratulate the Wesnoth team for making a great game. ;)
Dave wrote:
appleide wrote:IIRC freeciv's objective was a port to linux and to have a public server where people can find random people to play with. And they have succeeded that. Most of Freeciv's players are linux users anyway, thats why the gui seem to have alien-like buttons.
Well that pretty much proves Jetryl's point on why it has a smaller player base. If you support GNU/Linux + Mac + Windows you will get a far larger player base than just supporting GNU/Linux.
The initial platform target was UNIX. Freeciv was AFAIK first developed on IRIX back in 1995, then development mostly moved to a Linux platform.

There have been efforts to get Freeciv working better on Windows and MacOS X platforms for quite some time now. Recent versions are 100% native on Windows and run with a x11 server on MacOS X. Binary packages for both platforms are available at the website:
http://www.freeciv.org

Freeciv should run on all the platforms you can run the Gimp (which also uses GTK+). GTK+ moved to a new drawing model based on Cairo with version 2.8.0. This should enhance portability further in the future and give features such as zoom essentially for next to zero coding effort from our part.
Dave wrote:In addition to the window manager thing, let's not forget about how FreeCiv requires you to start a server (and usually you have to start your own) just to play a single player game. They've tried to make the server real easy to start on some distributions, but it still ends up awkward.
Since version 2.0.0 you can spawn the server from inside the client via a GUI. I admit the interface for this is still somewhat confusing due to the zillion game options we have, but it should improve in the future. 2.0.0 was a quantum leap in the interface and 2.1.0 should enhance it further.

The Freeciv project welcomes all art contributions. You can find the Freeciv art forum here:
http://forum.freeciv.org/viewforum.php?f=10

In the past the project has had trouble retaining artists, so the model was changed to empower you further by granting CVS write access to substancial contributors, and a new Wiki and Forums for all. The initial results should be seen in version 2.1.0, but we still have a resource shortage in this area.

You can see a work in progress version of the amplio tileset to be bundled as default in 2.1.0 here:
http://freeciv.org/viewcvs/freeciv/data/amplio/

Here is an in-game screenshot:
vasc

Post by vasc »

Disto wrote:
vasc wrote:Since when did that stop people from playing Warcraft? ;)

But i believe it has better graphics, innovative and Dune || is getting a bit old.
Ah! But that is where you, nice Wesnoth artists, come into my cunning plan! ;)
Disto

Post by Disto »

vasc wrote:
Disto wrote: But i believe it has better graphics, innovative and Dune || is getting a bit old.
Ah! But that is where you, nice Wesnoth artists, come into my cunning plan! ;)
All i can say is lol :lol:
Creator of the Marauders
appleide

Post by appleide »

The initial platform target was UNIX. Freeciv was AFAIK first developed on IRIX back in 1995, then development mostly moved to a Linux platform.
oops.
There have been efforts to get Freeciv working better on Windows and MacOS X platforms for quite some time now. Recent versions are 100% native on Windows and run with a x11 server on MacOS X. Binary packages for both platforms are available at the website:
http://www.freeciv.org

:( You guys left me behind by not supporting panther any more.

p.s. but according to macgamefiles.com, you still do.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
vasc

Post by vasc »

appleide wrote: :( You guys left me behind by not supporting panther any more.
p.s. but according to macgamefiles.com, you still do.
AFAIK, Saltybanana (our friendly MacOS X binary builder) only builds binaries for Tiger since 2.0.4.

Here is his blog:
http://blog.saltybanana.com/peel/

IIRC none of the main developers has a MacOS X machine (unless you want to buy us one :)), so we have to rely on the community for binaries. If anyone else feels like they would be willing to help with the binaries, you can send an e-mail to freeciv-dev@freeciv.org.