RTS concept.

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

RTS concept.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

There's basically a map, and your buildings sit on the map. This is conducted on a square grid.

For each of your buildings, it will normally be doing its designated task. But at intervals, which are determined per building type, it will get up and move. To where it moves depends on its task. It settles down again after a certain time, also determined per building type. A building will also 'get up' when it is attacked, and fight against the attackers (which are also called buildings, although they may be more like units in a traditional RTS. I may end up calling them all "toads" in the end.)

A building which is 'up' can move and attack. A building which is not 'up' preforms a specific purpose. Each square has a temperature; the higher the temperature, the faster a building on it will move. It always stays up the same amount of time though, unless it steps onto a road. Roads have the effect that a toad may travel along them indefinitely without settling down.

Buildings are produced in other buildings, of course. Specific buildings (currently called building buildings) have the task of producing other buildings. They can't build buildings as big as they are, though. By feeding them enough, you can make them grow.

Basically each square of the ground produces food, with a particular maximum, and each toad eats all the food it walks over. Building buildings want as much food as possible, which allows them to produce more toads, which in turn may be food gatherers who return food to the building building. (How the food is generated, I haven't really decided. I'm thinking either a constant rate for each square, or like wheat in Globulation 2 except without blocking you.)

Combat is preformed by buildings, of course. Specifically combat-oriented buildings have the following qualities:
1) they like moving toward enemies.
2) they move often.
3) they have fairly strong attacks for their cost, compared to other buildings.

Of course, all buildings can fight. If you're using up the food in your area and have lots of granaries, or something, they may well migrate into an enemy settlement and start attacking.

Many factors effect the heat of a square. It diffuses, of course; it's raised by the Sun, which actually travels in an arc through the sky. It vanishes over time too. You can raise it by building and maintaining fires. Possibly there will even be seasons; I'm thinking of doing some interesting things with this 'sun'.

Buildings would have trouble pathfinding around one another. What they would do if there is no path for a building their size, is look for a path for a smaller building until there is a path available, then take it, pushing aside any other buildings they come to.

Either that, or buildings would exist as circles in real space, and just head straight for their destination, which would make it rather simpler to have them push other buildings out of the way. Combining real and fake space often works well.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Just wondering... was this idea "inspired" from the night elves in Warcraft III? IIRC they had giant trees as buildings that can get up and fight too.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

No. I've never played any version of Warcraft, and I try not to remember anything I hear about it. This idea began with me wondering how it would make sense for buildings to move in an RTS.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.