New terrain: cultivated fields

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

fmunoz wrote:Maybe it would be better to blend the cropfileds with the current grassland tiles as they will be at the same height... (so they could share same border images too)
Otherwise good work :-)
Since the wheat crop is supposed to be about 2-3 feet high (60-90 cm), it would be nice to have the unit lowered a bit to partly disappear behind it.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Christophe33 wrote: Since the wheat crop is supposed to be about 2-3 feet high (60-90 cm), it would be nice to have the unit lowered a bit to partly disappear behind it.
This is easy to achieve -- the same way as for water in data/terrain.cfg
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Christophe33 write:
Since the wheat crop is supposed to be about 2-3 feet high (60-90 cm), it would be nice to have the unit lowered a bit to partly disappear behind it.
Actually wheat could reach about six feet in height in medieval times - thus hiding units completely.
As crops have been selectively bred for heavier yields in recent years, they've also been bred for shorter stalks, to avoid the problem of long stems collapsing under the weight of ripe grains.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Dave wrote:
Christophe33 wrote: Since the wheat crop is supposed to be about 2-3 feet high (60-90 cm), it would be nice to have the unit lowered a bit to partly disappear behind it.
This is easy to achieve -- the same way as for water in data/terrain.cfg
That'ss what I meant :)
By the way, here is some pasture, either for horse or cattle (not provided). Well, in middle age, farmers were using mostly hedge rather than fence but fences provides a sharper border and are probably better for the game.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Christophe33: By the way, here is some pasture, either for horse or cattle (not provided). Well, in middle age, farmers were using mostly hedge rather than fence but fences provides a sharper border and are probably better for the game.
Agreed that hedges were used rather than fences.

Also cultivation tended to follow two patterns, both using large fields - common fields used for grazing, and rotation of crops using long narrow strips of a larger field - different crop in each of the first four years, then fallow (ie no crop) for the fifth.

Ideally therefore you should probably have fields built up of individual hexes (without any border), then a hedge border round the whole group - rather like the castle groupings. However, I doubt that it's worth the extra effort to do this.

Another option would be to have the cultivated field hexes showing two or more strips, with different crops.
cedric

Post by cedric »

Gafgarion wrote:Report if you have any problems and I'll gladly fix them ASAP... This is my first try at a Wesnoth terrain, so I very well have made an error along the way.
Here's an in-game screenshot. Perhaps it has too much of a tiled look...

I'm attaching your first attempt at doing farmland, which was also an interesting way to explore in my opinion.

Opinions?
--
Cedric
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

the irrigation special tiles look strange. other than that it looks good. i think the tiled look is OK, since it is cultivated.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

The tiling is not too bad. A few chnages could make it even more smooth. I wonder what the farmer is doing in the wheat field with his fork down in the ground :). He should have a scythe for the harvest :)
Hedge tends to take space...and you end up with a terrain more difficult to cross than plain or even some forest since the hedge are very tight and entangled...not to mentionn the ditch usually found on the edge of such fields/pasture. Wooden fences were used for horses. If there is any interest I could replace the fence by hedge to create a copse (farmland criss-crossed by hedges and trees). Note that it's the closest translation II found for the French word "bocage"". This kind of land would slow down about every units except the farmer and maybe the poacher.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

My impression was that the use of hedges, fences, or walls depended a lot on the type of terrain. Take for example the low stone walls that you see a lot in the "All creatures great and small" BBC series. These were a result of the fact that the ground was quite rocky and so you naturally had a lot of rocks left when you plowed a field. Similarly I expect that if you were in a well forested area, lumber would be readily available to make fences....