Faster Graphics with OpenGL?

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Xan
Inactive Developer

Re: OpenGL on 2d

Post by Xan »

Almindor wrote:I'm a game developer(2d game too) and the problem of opengl vs pure SDL came to me too. I've mad an abstraction layer to provide possible switching between any backend(only 2d, doing 3d abstraction layer is a suicide). I've managed to get opengl working more or less but the fun ended when I needed to "recolorize" a sprite. In my case players can choose colours of their "heroes" and the single animations I have which are in one color already take 8 megs (on disk) so multiplying would be rather stupid. I decided to simply recolor them in memory before blit (as slow as it may sound the actual difference is not big). Doing something like this with openGL is virtualy impossible.(or SDL with hwsurface/hwaccel in windblows)
Huh? I do that all the time with OpenGL hardware acceleration.
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
Almindor

Post by Almindor »

I'm not saying it's impossible with openGL. But once you do read from video memory it's even slower than using only software blitting.
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

Almindor wrote:I'm not saying it's impossible with openGL. But once you do read from video memory it's even slower than using only software blitting.
OpenGL supports hardware accelerated recoloring. I almost never read from video memory.
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."