Idea for multiplayer era/scenario: War in the Mines

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Version 0.2 dont wants to work here. (wesnoth 1.0)
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well the directory structure is not correct.
I have (Linux here):
~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Subterranian_MP_era/Subterranian_MP_era/
~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Subterranian_MP_era/Subterranian_MP_era.cfg
It should be :
~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Subterranian_MP_era/
~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Subterranian_MP_era.cfg

Just fix the directories, purge your cache ~/.wesnoth/cache/* and it should work
scott

Post by scott »

(edited)
How did that happen? It has the regular dir structure on this end. Did you use the web campaign interface?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I did use the ingame update interface (after erasing my previous local copy).

For the maintainership, could try to take over, but since i'm still a newcomer :
- i don't know how you make updates on the campaign server (but i don't think this is a problem it seems easy if i RTFM more ;))
- i'm too much a newbie for units balance
- i'm not completly sure i'll continue to play wesnoth for a long time (i haven't explored all the possibilities of the game yet. Maybe i'll be bored (but i don't think so))
scott

Post by scott »

Well, let me know.

Uploading is a snap once you have everything set up properly. Balancing is something of an art, but if people play the era then lots of feedback will help tell you what needs to be done. With only 4 units to worry about that are supposed to have similar or identical capabilities, I think it won't be too hard. You should first try to drum up interest for making underground maps... usually people have creative ideas for making it fun. Maybe people will think of dynamite units or something (they take out cavewall and everyone else around them).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

scott wrote:Hey thanks.

I realize I implemented mining differently than was described.

Which is better?
- mining occurs at the end of a turn (allows undo)
- mining occurs immediately (prevents undo but allows serial tunneling)

I did it the first way. The strategy involved is significantly different, since breakthrough is inherently dangerous the first way... mining puts you on defense rather than on offense. That could moderate the mining ability, but we would need to see what kind of maps come out of it all.
Hey this looks really cool. Personally, I think the second way would be better. Historically I think it matches the way mining (and counter mining) during sieges worked. From a gameplay perspective I think that having "breakthroughs" be offensive would be more fun. Also, I think Dave's suggestion of having a WML tag that makes fog act like shroud would be good. It might be best if each side had a map of how they last saw the terrain so you could still map things out as they were when one of your units last past an area, but that would be harder to code well. I will definitely have to give this a try (again, once my laptop gets back. man, I am getting tired of saying that :( )
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

I think second way is better too.