Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

orcish axeman

Post by turin »

would there be any interest in having an orcish unit with an axe? i was thinking i would make a graphic of an orcish unit like the warrior holding an axe. even if you don't want it, i will probably make it anyway, but it might be an interesting unit idea.
i was thinking it could be an alternative upgrade of grunt (as opposed to warrior).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

seeing as there are no replies, i went ahead and made it. there are two versions, which do you like best? (or none)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

To be honest, I can barely tell the difference. I do have a quibble, though - maybe it's because of the cursor conversation, but the axehead looks like an hourglass. Perhaps the Level 2 version at least should have a single-headed Axe? That seems more Orcish to me. Also, the head should be a notched, brutal-looking piece of metal, in my opinion - these are Orcs.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
enki

Post by enki »

The color and the shape of the axe head looks a bit strange IMO. Otherwise I like the images! They look quite similar and it's hard to tell which one is better. But if I had to choose, I'd go for orcish-axeman.png.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I don't the difference neither but I agree that the axe should be single headed, more round (maybe a bit wider even) while the handle could be a bit shorter...to give you place to grow for a level 3 units :)
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
benj

Post by benj »

turin wrote:seeing as there are no replies, i went ahead and made it. there are two versions, which do you like best? (or none)
I see no difference between the two versions :-)

Nice work. Perhaps the shape of the blade looks weird, too geometric and need some rework.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Single bladed axe.

- Miyo
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

The images are good but...
From a tactical point of view I see no point as axe is just a bladed attack.
From a artistic pov I tried to stay away of axes when creating the orcs I gave them curved swords (Scimitars and falchions) and advoided them ...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

fmunoz wrote:The images are good but...
From a tactical point of view I see no point as axe is just a bladed attack.
From a artistic pov I tried to stay away of axes when creating the orcs I gave them curved swords (Scimitars and falchions) and advoided them ...
i know, i just wanted to give them an axe. it looks cool. :)

the difference is between the left leg, on one of them it is straighter than the other.

i agree about the axe head, i'll probably fix it today.
The World of Orbivm
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

I think it'd be a cool graphic for a unique character.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

personally I don't think it brings much difference to the grunt units, they'd be a bit stronger and slower but for the rest it'd be more efficient for anew unit if it was slapped on something of different posture to make it a new tactical piece to use (for example a realy small guy with low hp normal speed and attack wich would make everyone fear it
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Neoriceisgood wrote:personally I don't think it brings much difference to the grunt units, they'd be a bit stronger and slower but for the rest it'd be more efficient for anew unit if it was slapped on something of different posture to make it a new tactical piece to use (for example a realy small guy with low hp normal speed and attack wich would make everyone fear it
as in the orcish irregular?:
http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... .php?t=909
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

for any who care, this is the orcish axeman revised.
The World of Orbivm
Ave

Post by Ave »

They could have fewer attack numbers but bigger damage, and probably their movement could be slower. It could be a branch on the orcish grunt advancement tree.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

The shape of the Axe is right, but the colours are still all off. Try giving it a more pitted appearance... describing pixel-by-pixel changes is tricky at best.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry