A few units

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Casual User

A few units

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon.

These are some ideas for some units. I've decided to post them here because I think they could be interesting for the official game.

1. Goblin javelineer

An alternative upgrade of the goblin spearman. Right now, you are basically forced to go towards a melee-oriented fighter. This would allow you to have a low-level mixed fighter that would be more versatile than the impaler.

The stats:
23hp,4 moves
spear:5-3,pierce,close
spear:7-2,pierce,long

The graphics:
I don't know exactly what he should look like. He should be more or less like the impaler, but hold a shorter spear in more of a throwing pose.

2. Forester

An alternative upgrade of the bowman. He would be a dead-end lvl 2, better in melee than most archers. He would also require only 1 movement point to move through forests where he would have 60% defense.

The stats:
42hp,6 moves
axe:7-3,blade,close
bow:6-4,pierce,long

The graphics:
I might upload a base image for him soon. Basically, he should look like a slightly taller bowman with green clothing (maybe a cape or cloak) and a green hat (with feather ?).

3. Dwarven lord

Leadership has already been proposed for the dwarves and discussed, but it always felt like copying the elf fighter line. I think it would be fun if the split was to occur at lvl 3, so the steelclad would branch into the hero (current dwarvish lord) and the new dwarvish lord who would have leadership.

I think it would make their line pretty unique. It would also make the dwarves be the only race that has access at leadership, but only at lvl 3, making it powerful but very rare.

The stats:
65hp,same resistances as current lord,4 moves
battle axe:11-3,blade,close
hammer:14-2,impact,close
hatchet:8-2,blade,long

The graphics:
There are some here http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6642.

Anyway, I'm just hoping for some feedback about these ideas. Personally, I think they would make nice additions to the game.
Wintersmith

Post by Wintersmith »

I like the idea of the Goblin Javelineer. In particular, it makes sense that the goblins who stay out of the fray and just toss javelins would be the ones most likely to survive to level 1. This also is begging for some amusing unit description text ("The most cowardly goblins go on to become Goblin Javelineers, tossing spears from behind the front lines while their braver but equally weak kin charge to their doom...").

I have mixed feelings towards the Forester. The unit seems too similar to the Elvish Ranger and the Trapper. Also, it seems unfair to allow the Forester to move through forests for only one movement point while the Trapper needs two points per forest square. Admittedly, the Loyalists could certainly use some units that can easily move through rough terrain. At the same time, I suspect the the devs may want to keep things as they are for the Loyalists; after all, being slow in rough terrain is probably the faction's most distinctive and most significant weakness.
JW

Re: A few units

Post by JW »

Casual User wrote: 1. Goblin javelineer

The stats:
23hp,4 moves
spear:5-3,pierce,close
spear:7-2,pierce,long
Interesting. A branch for a lvl 0. I kindof like it. It sounds goblinesque.
Casual User wrote:2. Forester

An alternative upgrade of the bowman. He would be a dead-end lvl 2, better in melee than most archers. He would also require only 1 movement point to move through forests where he would have 60% defense.

The stats:
42hp,6 moves
axe:7-3,blade,close
bow:6-4,pierce,long
Interesting idea, although I see the argument against it. If his damage were decreased slightly it might make more sense to me. As of now that's a great increase from 1 to 2 to have incredible range and defense in more areas. I really like the concept of it, as I like how mages gain resistancies as they level, but I'm not sure I like how powerful he gets right away - although he wouldn't advance....perhaps you could make this a branch to level 3, make this units stats slightly weaker, and propose a new level 3 unit as well?

I'm not really sure how exactly to balance it in my head right now. =/
Casual User wrote:3. Dwarven lord

Leadership has already been proposed for the dwarves and discussed, but it always felt like copying the elf fighter line. I think it would be fun if the split was to occur at lvl 3, so the steelclad would branch into the hero (current dwarvish lord) and the new dwarvish lord who would have leadership.

I think it would make their line pretty unique. It would also make the dwarves be the only race that has access at leadership, but only at lvl 3, making it powerful but very rare.

The stats:
65hp,same resistances as current lord,4 moves
battle axe:11-3,blade,close
hammer:14-2,impact,close
hatchet:8-2,blade,long
I think leadership for the dwarves would be ridiculous. They are already high damage dealers - adding leadership to that strong level 1 line would drastically alter the balance of MP IMO. Age of Heroes would be nothing but dwarves. All Classic users would go Steelclad and level as fast as possible. At least I would.

The only drawbacks of the dwarves that I can think of is they are slow, they they rely somewhat on chance, and they do not get damage bonuses. If you were to change this last fact, dwarves would own MP.
scott

Post by scott »

The L3 human ranger is similar to the forester, at least in concept and forest MP.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I really support the Goblin Javelineer, as well as the Goblin Rouser - basically, the Goblin Spearman tree needs to be much more diverse.

(Would it really suprise anyone if I told them that the first idea I ever proposed was the original Goblin Spearman idea? :P )

The idea of the Forester seems basically to be, let's give the humans an elf look-alike. I don't like it, because I think that right now forest is one of the weaker loyalist terrains. It should stay like that.

I like the idea of the Dwarvish Lord / Dwarvish Hero branch for the Fighter. And I think that JW is wrong in his assessment that giving a level three unit leadership would unbalance MP at all... anyway, I'll wait for either Doc Patterson or DK to write a rant about that.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good morning!

A few comments on the replies.

1. Goblin javelineer
I really support the Goblin Javelineer, as well as the Goblin Rouser - basically, the Goblin Spearman tree needs to be much more diverse.
Another goblin fan! It's been a ambition of mine to write a goblin campaign (i.e. only with goblin spearmen and wolf riders). I have planned to start as soon as I find a good storyline.

In general, it seems quite a few people like the idea.

2. Forester
As of now that's a great increase from 1 to 2 to have incredible range and defense in more areas.
He has less range, hp and defense than the elf ranger, is a dead-end and no ambush...

That being said, it might be better if it were :

axe:6-3/bow:6-4 or axe:7-3/bow:7-3

He's supposed to be more of a scout anyway.
The idea of the Forester seems basically to be, let's give the humans an elf look-alike. I don't like it, because I think that right now forest is one of the weaker loyalist terrains. It should stay like that.
They would hardly be kings of the forest if they had a rather weak, dead-end lvl 2 that would be good in forests... They would only be a little more versatile.

3. Dwarvish lord
I think leadership for the dwarves would be ridiculous. They are already high damage dealers - adding leadership to that strong level 1 line would drastically alter the balance of MP IMO. Age of Heroes would be nothing but dwarves. All Classic users would go Steelclad and level as fast as possible. At least I would.
Leveling leaders in MP is hard, and not all that useful since you need them to recruit anyway.

In Age of Heroes, your leader might have leadership, but he would still be stuck in his keep. The xp requirements for the steelclad might go up a little, but I doubt it would be overpowered.

Incidentally, dwarves aren't high damage dealers. lvl 1's and 2's are average and lvl 3's are mediocre as far as total damage goes. They're more high per hit damage and tough.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I like the forester!!!just give it a bird as one of its attack :) (my idea awhile ago)

agree about jav., and goblins in general (goblin glider has a chance after all :wink:, might have to start thinking of one)

not so sure about the dwarf, but I never use them so I have no opinion anyways.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Lord_Aether

Post by Lord_Aether »

I think that having a more diverse goblin tree would be excelent.

The Forester, I can't form an opinion of. I can see where he might be a good idea, but it also seems to be an excuse to have an "elf look-alike".

The dwarven leadership would be good, I think. I have always wondered why the Dwarven Lord didn't have leadership. What is a Lord who doesn't lead? :?
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Lord Aether wrote:The Forester, I can't form an opinion of. I can see where he might be a good idea, but it also seems to be an excuse to have an "elf look-alike".
not neccessarily elf-like, just give it somewthing unique--like a bird

link:http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... r&start=30, which was my original idea for a forester.

and while I'm at it, another unit idea. Differnt upgrade from rouge, highwayman or something: it loses backstab (optional) and gains ambush
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well