Possible new faction?

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Is it good, or bad?

Good
33%
Bad, very, very, bad.
67%

Total votes: 15

Sin Rokujou

Possible new faction?

Post by Sin Rokujou »

Would it make sense to have a faction based on Japanese/Eastern culture and ideas? Here are some sample units I created under the proposed name, "Orochi":

Student
Level: 1
Cost: 15
Race: Orochi
Moves: 5
HP: 17
XP: 20
Advances to: Samuri/Advanced Student
Weapon: Kodachi (Blade, 5-3), Hand (Impact, 3-1)

Samuri
Level: 2
Cost: 21
HP: 57
XP: 70
Advances to: Shogun
Weapon: Kodachi (Blade, 5-4), Katana (Blade, 9-1)

Advanced Student
Cost: 23
Moves: 6
HP: 37
XP: 50
Advances to: Master
Weapon: Handsword (Impact, 7-3), Shiruken (Blade, Ranged, 4-3)

Shogun
Level: 3
Cost: --
Moves: 4
HP: 80
XP: --
Advances to: --
Weapon: Kodachi (Blade, 6-4), Katana (Blade, 18-1), Bow (Ranged, Piercing, 6-1)

Master
Moves: 7
HP: 50
Advances to: Sensai
Weapon: Handsword (Impact, 12-5), Shiruken (Blade, Ranged, 5-3)

Ninja
Moves: 9
HP: 32
Weapon: Ninjato (Blade, 12-5), Shiruken (Blade, Ranged, 5-3)

Sensai
Level: 4
Moves: 9
HP: 70
Weapon: Handsword (Impact, 18-10), Shiruken (Blade, Ranged, 12-3)

Black Mage
Cost: 23
Moves: 3
HP: 20
XP: 30
Advances to: Black Wizard
Weapon: Knife (Blade, 3-1), Kiai (Fire, 6-3)

Black Wizard
HP: 50
XP: 100
Advances to: Sephyr
Weapon: Kodachi (Blade, 5-1), Nosferatu (Cold, 12-3)

Sephyr
Moves: 7
HP: 92
Weapon: Katana (Blade, 10-1), Yamato (Magical, 20-5)

White Mage
Cost: 18
HP: 20
XP: 30
Advances to: White Wizard
Weapon: Hammer (Impact, 3-1), Seifukujutsu (Healing, 6-3)

White Wizard
HP: 35
XP: 100
Advances to: Tenshi
Weapon: Hammer (Impact, 5-1), Seifukujutsu (Healing, 12-3)

Tenshi
Cost:--
Weapon: Hammer of the Gods (Impact, 20-1), Seifukujutsu (Healing, 20-5)

Yadoukai
Cost: 17
Moves: 12
HP: 15
XP: 20
Advances to: Nopperabou
Weapon: Claws (Melee, 5-2)

Nopperabou
Cost: 25
Moves: 15
HP: 23
Advances to: Akuma
Weapon: Chokuto (Blade, 9-3), Reveal (Cold, 10-2)

Akuma
Moves: 17
Weapon: Murumasa (Blade, 20-1) Berserk, Terror (Cold, 17-3)

Well? What do you think? If you like, I'll start on sprites, if you don't, I'll shut up.
Last edited by Sin Rokujou on December 29th, 2005, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Que?
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Okay, how long did you play BfW?

Not that matters, since i am oing faction too, and i played game about 25 times, but YOU seem not to understand how units heal each other. Or maybe your
"healing" attack was meant to be "holy" attack.

I didn't read statistics: please, use [code .... ] [/code .... ] with each unit:

Code: Select all

Funny Rabitt
neutral
skirmisher

HP: 40
and add advances tree at top of post:

Male->E-Mail->Female ...................... standart fighters line
Male->E-mail->Giantic Monster ...... Alter. Adv. 
Sin Rokujou

Post by Sin Rokujou »

^Actually, this was just an abstract to see if anyone was interested in the idea.

Also, I was thinking the healing move might cause negative damage? That way, not only would you get the healing from being adjacent, but you would also be able to bring units back from the brink.
Of course, this means some balances would have to be thrown in, I was thinking of adding things like a reverse healing effect for Sephyrs and Akumas, so that you couldn't just leave your White Mages next to them and make them invincible.

Again, this is an abstract, and I will work on the more important details after getting everyone's opinion.
Que?
toms

Post by toms »

It shouldn´t be a problem to make, if you find one who does the art or you do it at yourself. :wink:
Maybe you should add a poll option between good and very, very bad...
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

There's a 23-page topic a litte ways down on the idea forum about the same thing, more or less:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6483

They have ... some graphics, but few of them are in the wesnoth style, and as such will have to be redone heavily if they're ever put in-game.

I'd certainly welcome someone finishing such a thing, although it's not something I'm going to pursue myself.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Possible new faction?

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Sin Rokujou wrote:Would it make sense to have a faction based on Japanese/Eastern culture and ideas?
If you want a Far Eastern Faction, please do assist appleide and seiryu over in the thread Jetryl referenced. Several different ideas have been proposed for various Far Eastern factions, but art is needed.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Kshinji;

is not necessary. He can post his stats and units in whatever format he desires. Some are simply easier to read than others, but he will discover that on his own, not by having a rawhide newcomer like yourself jump on his back for the fun of it.

As for the faction, well, one of this type already exists, although the Far Eastern faction under development is historically based, while this one seems more based on mythology/anime. I'm not an anime lover myself, but some of these seem like they'd fit the type. I think it would make more sense to finish one, and then begin another, perhaps even using modified graphics.

And Kshinji does have a point; some of the stats seem a little out of whack... like listing 'magical' as the attack type, instead of 'fire' or 'cold'... And Reveal doesn't sound like much of an attack.

Still not sure I understand what you mean by a healing attack... Or negative healing for certain units..
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I think that he means that a healing unit 'attacks' one of its allies, and it heals them.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

That's what it seemed like... But there is currently no support for attacking allies or friendlies, AFAIK.... It may be possible, and I can see how it may be useful, but the present system is simpler.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Ranger M wrote:I think that he means that a healing unit 'attacks' one of its allies, and it heals them.
Maybe what he has in mind is something like "Drain".
Sin Rokujou

Post by Sin Rokujou »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:That's what it seemed like... But there is currently no support for attacking allies or friendlies, AFAIK.... It may be possible, and I can see how it may be useful, but the present system is simpler.
Hmm... Sounds like some code to shuffle through...
Ah well, thanks for the link to the topic! I would do the sprites myself using some of the other units as bases, I saw some VERY early shots of Wesnoth, which appeared to use modified Final Fantasy graphics, which is what got me thinking about doing this.
Your input's much appreciated guys, although it's looking like there's no support for this right now... Oh well, I'll wait a few days.

Also, it'll probably just be me doing this, so If you're not intrested in being a part of this faction's creation, but would like it to be created, then please vote so![/COLOR]
Que?
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Iiwy, iw made him normal healer/curer, or maybe i would've developed better ability of healing, if you want so. But a better healing ability might be too good.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Sin Rokujou wrote:Your input's much appreciated guys, although it's looking like there's no support for this right now... Oh well, I'll wait a few days.
I'm guessing part of the reason for that is that Kafka, who suggested the previous Far Eastern faction idea, insisted on having it done his way and on trying to get his faction into the main game, and not just be made available as a user-made add-on, and ended up becoming very testy when people didn't want to do it his way. At that point, appleide and seiryu took over, but they haven't had all that much progress.

I like the idea of a Far Eastern faction, even a Far Eastern era, and I did vote fot it in the poll. I also did some play-testing for appleide and seiryu a few months ago.