Yet more music for Wesnoth

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Music Wizard

Little theory analysis

Post by Music Wizard »

what would you suggest for the orchestration Aleski?

Thanks for the input...
The Ab that you refer to should work, the Progression goes like this...

Cmajor: I v(4/2)/bVI - bVI iv (f minor with Ab) - I

I know it's a little strange doing a iv-I than a V-I, acts more like a plagal cadence (Amen cadence) but it changes from the norm nontheless. And no, the bass doesn't go F-E to C on that cadence, that would sound horrible :)

Peace,
Greg

ps, I love theory analysis, do you enjoy too? :)
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Re: Little theory analysis

Post by Aleksi »

Music Wizard wrote:what would you suggest for the orchestration Aleski?

Thanks for the input...
The Ab that you refer to should work, the Progression goes like this...

Cmajor: I v(4/2)/bVI - bVI iv (f minor with Ab) - I

I know it's a little strange doing a iv-I than a V-I, acts more like a plagal cadence (Amen cadence) but it changes from the norm nontheless. And no, the bass doesn't go F-E to C on that cadence, that would sound horrible :)

Peace,
Greg

ps, I love theory analysis, do you enjoy too? :)
Yes, i'm quite found of analysis. Even though we have a very complicated system in France, given to us in the XVIth century.
I asked about the plagal cadence because i wanted to be sure of what you wanted. I know the Ab works, i wasn't saying it didn't. You are just anticipating it before resolving on the C major chord. I'd rather hear it direclty on C. But i guess that is a question of taste. Its just a suggestion. ;)
As for the orchestration, i'm not crazy about the balance of the instruments. Some notes are doubled, either too much, or by the wrong instruments, and it doesn't sound right. That is a difficult part in orchestrating something. You need very good balance between the tone note, third, fifth and seventh.

Aleksi.
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

This is actually a pretty good job, wizard. I agree with Aleksi on a couple points: it feels kind of empty. I only hear a few lines and harmonies. It really could use more. I think Aleksi is referring to this as orchestration. I feel like it could use more flesh.

Also, I don't really like the harmonic feel for the last few chords of the sequence. But, I disagree with Aleksi on the Ab. I personally don't think anything sounds out of place in this respect, even though I don't like the progression. The way you used cymbals and swells to build and finally land on the final chord works well.

I am not convinced by the sounds though. It sounds like a synth performing what could have sounded fairly good with live orch. Try to breath some life into your players. (This is my opinion, you are free to disagree).

And, regarding my defeat theme, and it's lack of popularity. Okay. I'll work on something else sometime. Right now, gameplay music is more of a priority for me, but I'll get to it sometime. And Aleksi is apparently going to work at it too. I still think my Defeat theme works well, and despite Aleksi's preference, I like ending it on an odd dissonance, but that is my preference. But, regardless of my opinion, I have to go with the popular vote which is "new defeat theme".

--Timothy
Music Wizard

Post by Music Wizard »

Thanks TimothyP

I will try to rework the orch as best I can for both the victory and defeat (jetryl suggested to cut the melody and just have the drums). I am limited to the tools I have. I possibly can get real recordings from a band (not orch, I would rearrange) but it might not sound as crisp as the digital Roland synth.

I'm working on a cave theme right now. After the cave, it will be the dragons, then the undead guys. By then it will be spring break and I can go record those ambient sounds the enviornment :) lots of work to do. Cheers!

Peace,
Music Wizard

Ps, Aleski that old demo theme, should I re-work and finish that for you?
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Music Wizard wrote:I'm working on a cave theme right now. After the cave, it will be the dragons, then the undead guys. By then it will be spring break and I can go record those ambient sounds the enviornment :) lots of work to do. Cheers!
Hum, maybe you should concentrate on some "gameplay music". You can give it a personnality but i think it is wiser to go for more general music. I was aiming the same goal as you but prefered to redirect myself.
Music Wizard wrote:Ps, Aleski that old demo theme, should I re-work and finish that for you?
What old theme?
Music Wizard

Post by Music Wizard »

ok, so more gameplay music. The cave theme is coming along nicely, I will post progress within the week.

Aleski, that song that Jetryl posted by me. The one that was kind of 4/4 like... do you want me to finish or dump?

Wizard
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Music Wizard wrote:ok, so more gameplay music. The cave theme is coming along nicely, I will post progress within the week.

Aleski, that song that Jetryl posted by me. The one that was kind of 4/4 like... do you want me to finish or dump?

Wizard
Oh, this one. Well, it didn't sound so original in my opinion if i can permit myself. It felt more like "already heard". But you can go on if you like. You only seem to be working a bit fast and not polish your music too much. I think it is better to work on one music and get the best you can out of it.

Cheers,

Aleksi.
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

The piece posted by Jetryl:

I feel like that piece of music lacks originality. I know you put plenty of good work into it. And the piece does work. But it sounds like stock music to me. We want to hear music that really expresses your creative imagination. Something that sounds like "You" specifically. And, like I said, keep working on adding life into your "players".

I would say this piece won't be right for Wesnoth, but if you continue working on it for something else - that'd be cool. Maybe some people who design their own custom campaigns would like it!

--Timothy
Music Wizard

Post by Music Wizard »

ok, I have a cave exerpt but it won't upload. Any suggestions? It's Mp3 by the way...

Wizard