At what resolution do you play Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

what res do you use to play Wesnoth?

640x480
No votes
800x600
10%
1024x768
56%
1280x960
15%
bigger!
19%

Total votes: 86

Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I use 1024x768 winidowed so that I can change to something else to do other things (and so that i can see the result of what I just did to my campaign, and then go back to fix any problems)
scott

Post by scott »

1024x720 (which is what windowed mode requires for my system)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Elestel

Post by Elestel »

1024 x 768, windowed (it's great to use the messenger between turn and turn...)
Ignacio Dadoverde Elestel
Nada es lo que parece, y lo que parece nada es...
Always there's more you can't see than you can...

Spanish translator of UTBS, TB, SPMPP
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

It depends what computer I'm on. Mostly at 1024x768 though.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Am I mistaken in my perception that most people here use windowed? If not, then why not make that default?

wait.....

ok, i found this thread talking it up http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3596

but there's no apparent follow-up.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

1024x768 - windowed.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Ken Oh wrote:Am I mistaken in my perception that most people here use windowed? If not, then why not make that default?

wait.....

ok, i found this thread talking it up http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3596

but there's no apparent follow-up.
This survey would seem to provide ample grounds for refreshing that idea. Well, I'll pull out my sexton's spade and use it for something other than killing vampires.

EDIT: But it looks like I have not been appropriately blessed with holy water and can not complete the ritual.
Sorry, but only users granted special access can reply to posts in this forum.
xtifr

Re: At what resolution do you play Wesnoth?

Post by xtifr »

Eleazar wrote:While designing the interface it would be helpful to have an idea how many pixels the Wesnoth Players of the world are using.
IMO, an interface that depends on (or prefers) certain resolutions is a badly designed one. For the short term, I realize it may be easier/simpler, but I hope that in the long run, there are plans to make the interface reasonably resolution-independent. As for the poll, I can't really vote, because I use different resolutions on different machines, but I rarely go smaller than 800x600 or larger than 1280x1024 (even though my primary home machine uses 1792x1344 for the desktop).
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

xtifr wrote:IMO, an interface that depends on (or prefers) certain resolutions is a badly designed one. For the short term, I realize it may be easier/simpler, but I hope that in the long run, there are plans to make the interface reasonably resolution-independent.
Do you mean simply scaling everything according to the resolution? That might be reasonably easy to do. However I'm not sure that's really a good idea. I wonder what you have in mind.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Soliton wrote:Do you mean simply scaling everything according to the resolution? That might be reasonably easy to do. However I'm not sure that's really a good idea. I wonder what you have in mind.
No, I don't necessarily mean just scaling everything, although I don't actually think that's a bad solution, but I agree that it may not be a really good one either. Some things (like fonts) I think are best handled by simple scaling, but other things may not. For example, I think it might be nice to have more levels of zoom available at higher resolutions.

Actually, my primary objection to the way it is currently is that the fonts don't scale, which seems to me to penalize higher resolutions (which is why I don't usually run the game above 1280x960 or so). Aside from that, I think the game already does a decent job of being resolution-independent (at least once you find the zoom keys).

I'm mostly just concerned about the fact that the question is being asked at all. For commercial games, which are generally expected to have a fairly limited lifespan, it may make sense to optimize things for the commonest current resolutions, but for a free/open source game which may be maintained and enhanced for decades to come, I think flexibility is the key. In the not-too-distant future, I think we're going to see massive growth both at the high end of resolution (as bigger monitors and LCD displays, and, especially HDTV-compatible monitors, come down in price), and at the low end (as hand-held devices, PDAs, cellphones, iPods, etc., grow in power and resolution). I think it would be good for Wesnoth to be ready to go in both directions.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Mostly 1024x768 fullscreen but i often switch to 800x600 windowed.
pjr

Post by pjr »

"bigger", i.e. 1280x1024 full screen
rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

1024x768 fullscreen. That's my laptop's max resolution. I wouldn't want to play Wesnoth at a lower resolution, so I don't run it windowed.
<rcarello>
jg

Post by jg »

1280x1040 (or something near to it) fullscreen when I play - when making campaings, window mode. I run it on Linux.
Kamamura

Post by Kamamura »

1280x1024 fullscreen - due to native res of my LCD