wtf is wrong

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gus

Post by Gus »

Guys, whenever there's something wrong with a server, the LAST thing to do is to keep reloading, or to come and post "it doesn't work here either" eight times in a row ^^
It only increases the load and serves no real purpose. Also, when you're trying to browse a website, and this site doesn't work, but every other site does, it's likely to be a problem with the server, not you, so there again, no need to ask/say that it happens to you too =)

I'm just saying that to help and to prevent overloading a server which already has (or had, since we can post now) problems.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
fyo

Post by fyo »

I disagree. A few reloads isn't going to put any real strain on the server, especially since it takes FOREVER for each reload. As for posts in a forum, I can only say that if *my* server went haywire, I'd like for people to post about it (especially seeing as the front page worked). Not only does it show they care, it also alerts any admin reading the forum that there's something wrong. Now, had there been a contact email for such issues, that might have been the proper place, but as far as I can tell, there isn't.

And, again, 10 posts isn't going to put a strain on the server.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I am getting the same problems.

Not that I am making any promises, but rather than just complaining, I will offer to actually help with the problem.

I don't suppose the server is located anywhere where it can actually be directly accessed, but if it is, does it need more RAM or something?
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

KEST LIVES AGAIN

Gus wrote:Guys, whenever there's something wrong with a server, the LAST thing to do is to keep reloading, or to come and post "it doesn't work here either" eight times in a row

That is full of dumb.
Last edited by Kestenvarn on October 18th, 2006, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

Overall server loading would nail both the Wiki and the static HTML. This is something specific to the forum.

If this was my PHPBB install, the first thing I would check is...the database. (Assuming I hadn't just upgraded PHPBB) This is easiest in myPhpAdmin, although some versions don't work in PHP4 with reasonable security settings. (Highest that works for me is myPhpAdmin 2.8.0.4.)

MySQL is explicitly designed to do massively parallel SELECT queries (it's even faster than a pure C embedded database with everything in RAM), but all of that optimization is automatically disabled when there's even one byte of slack space in the affected tables.

This is particularly important with a PHP application, because of the automatic timeout -- once the PHP page starts executing, by default it has thirty seconds before it's cut off.

Anything beyond that, I would need to fork PHPBB to fix.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Kestenvarn wrote:
Gus wrote:Guys, whenever there's something wrong with a server, the LAST thing to do is to keep reloading, or to come and post "it doesn't work here either" eight times in a row

That is full of dumb.
First, i think you should apologize about this comment. Unless you want me to start throwing out random insults as well.
Second, would you like to tell me how it is _not_ bad for a server which is obviously having a hard time serving requests, to keep sending plenty of them? I'm really curious as to how you think this makes even the remotest sense.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Forum works fine here.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Finally, it got better. It was like that for 2 days, but now it works. Yay! :D

Without forum access, my life had no meaning...I need somewhere I can be an idiot sp4mm0r. :wink:
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Forum appears to be working properly now. Therefore, if this thread ever did serve a useful purpose, it certainly doesn't now. I am locking it.