Changing cloak color in portrait

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Walking Bore

Changing cloak color in portrait

Post by Walking Bore »

I borrowed the Lich portraits from TRoW (I think that's ok, because it's mainline, but if not, I'd like to ask the author now: can I use those portraits?) for my campaign, but I have eight different Liches in my story, and I'd like their cloaks to be different colors. How can I change the color of the cloak, while preserving everything else (texture, shadow, bone color, face, etc.)?

Thank you.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Using GIMP, mess with the options in Layer -> Colors until it does what you want. The relevant option here is, I think, "levels", but I'm not sure.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Or, you could just do it in WML using the RC image path function:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 535#194535
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Darth Fool wrote:Or, you could just do it in WML using the RC image path function:

Hm... IIRC, that doesn't work for portraits, usually, because there are an ungodly number of colors and there is usually no real boundary between the "tcolored" portion and the rest of the image. The colors kind of blend together. You could always try though, I suppose.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It's probably much easier to edit the image than try to figure out the RC stuff for recolouring.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

You can select the areas to change with "magic wand" or "select by color" tools (if they are of distinct enough colours), and then rotate the colourspace in levels->colors->hue-saturation. This will change the colour but preserve the luminance.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote:
Darth Fool wrote:Or, you could just do it in WML using the RC image path function:

Hm... IIRC, that doesn't work for portraits, usually, because there are an ungodly number of colors and there is usually no real boundary between the "tcolored" portion and the rest of the image. The colors kind of blend together. You could always try though, I suppose.
Well, I did a quick check and there are only 8133 different colors in the lich portrait as compared to 165 colors in the elvish champion sprite (I love perl & image magick!). Still, 8133 is probably more than is handy to use in WML. I might create a quick script to generate a color palette from an image which would make such an endeavor doable, but that is also likely to still be unwieldy. Another possibility is to do what the gimp and other programs do on selecting like colors and add a fuzz factor to a new image path function FRC (fuzzy recolor) where you have a third parameter that determines how closely a color needs to match one of the palette colors to be converted.
Walking Bore

Post by Walking Bore »

Well, by using hue-saturation without selecting anything, I got this, which seems to work well enough; I can do the exact same thing for 5 other colors. Thank you!
Attachments
caror.png
caror.png (35.26 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.