AAaaahhhhh......
:D

I'll try this out when I get home!!!!

Thanks!!!

Rev. V!
unit12

Post by unit12 »

removed
Last edited by unit12 on May 10th, 2007, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

You don't make complete animations for units, and deffinitely don't use gif because it's copyrighted format.

You need to make a set of .png animation frames, and the game itself uses them to present the effect you can see in Wesnoth by reading an unit .cfg file. (If your work will be good, you'll find somebody to use it, there is lot's of UMC authors and not nearly enough artists around)

For all the technical details take any mainline unit sprite and see how it's done, whatever you do needs to keep in line with what's done already. You can find them all in ~/data/images/units/
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
unit12

Post by unit12 »

removed
Last edited by unit12 on May 10th, 2007, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Blah, it should be ~/images/units not ~/data/images/units, that's what happen when you try to recall directroy structure without actualy looking at it :P

There are no constant dimensions but rule of thumb is lvl0 is smaller than lvl1 which is smaller/less impresive than lvl2 and so on. And it should fit into a hex, makes life easier this way.

Number of frames doesn't matter, more frames you do, better the animation will look, anything can be coded in .cfg even one-frame animations ;)

Expected animations are attack-hit, attack-miss, defend, die and idle.

And for more technical art stuff you'll have to ask an art developer, I've got no idea and don't really want to know :D
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

unit12 wrote:first off Im on a mac and I don't seem to have Image files for the default units.

however, I did manage to find images from the some of the era downloads.
• Right click on your BFW application/icon; then go to the menu item "Show Package Contents...".

• (Almost) All modern mac programs are secretly folders; inside these folders are files that contain the code for the program, and images+other stuff that the program uses to run. That menu item shows what's inside these secret folders, which you can't get to by double-clicking.

• You'll see a huge "tree" of folders; the "Contents" folder is the only one at the first level, but once you go into: Contents -> Resources, you'll see a whole ton of folders. Most of these are for the individual translations of the game according to language. Those will be titled like "En.lproj".

• But there will also be the folders of special wesnoth data - the two folders titled "data" and "images" are all you need to edit animations.
Battle For Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/units specifies the images used in, and the timing for unit animations.
Battle For Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/images contains the actual images.
unit12 wrote:how many pixels are in a hex anyways?
72x72
unit12 wrote:Im guessing the number of frames doesn't really matter?
Can be different for each animation; more is generally better.