Ancient Wesnoth Version?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AI
Developer

Re: Ancient Wesnoth Version?

Post by AI »

Used the fixed tarball on a 32 bit system, same result as shadow master.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

We both use Debian-based systems. The problem could be coming from the versions of libpng / SDL we use, then.
(forget the libpng, I now remember Wesnoth used plain BMPs back then)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
jonathantan86

Post by jonathantan86 »

It may be because I set my display to 16-bit colour. The screenshot Shadow Master put up looks like SDL is interpreting 16-bit data as 32-bit, so information for two pixels are combined into one (making the display twice as narrow). A cursory glance through the code and some grep-ping around doesn't seem to reveal the problem though. You could try setting SDL to go fullscreen (in game.cpp or video.cpp, IIRC) and see if it works. Or switch your monitor to 16-bit colour.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Well, I made a Mac binary, and would've made a Windows one (probably will later), but my internet won't let me upload stuff... You have no idea how hard I tried (about 5 different ways, and 5 hours - I'm not sure why). Anyway, probably tomorrow it'll work fine, and I'll upload it then.

EDIT: Turns out far from working fine, my internet doesn't work at all today. However, I only had 28k left to upload from yesterday (pathetic, I know), and it uploaded fine over dialup. I assembled the 1984 pieces over ssh, and it should work; you can download the Mac binary here.

I also built a Windows binary, and uploaded it normally over dialup - 1.5MB in 13 minutes actually seems fast after yesterday! You can download that one here.

The scrolling is really slow, which is quite annoying. But other than that (and of course, the horrifying graphics), it's quite impressive. The start map is VERY similar to the current Isle of Anduin, and it supports at least: 6 base units, unit leveling (I almost got a L3; he died with 1XP to go), ToD, ZoC, defense, resistance (I think?), movement costs, and melee/ranged attacks. I didn't quite finish the first scenario, so I don't know what happens then - I started with the goal of trying to level a unit, and I leveled 3 of them, but my strategy wasn't very good otherwise, so I lost (or at least, I gave up, because it would've taken too long to win).

And it was especially easy to build! It uses SDL, and that's it. Current Wesnoth 1.5 has at least 14 dependencies (some of which have their own dependencies, which you have to deal with if you build them yourself, or if they aren't statically linked).

A Note about playing: everything is done through right-clicking (or cmd+clicking), and to quit you have to press esc. Also, rather than having to be on the keep, the leader just has to be next to a castle hex to recruit.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The oldest version of wesnoth I'd ever played was 0.4. Until just now, that is. :D Thanks, dude.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Yay, v0.1 is fun :lol2: thanks penguin.

As for getting lvl 3 units, i got a lvl 2 elvish captain with 82/80 XP :eng: EDIT: Or was it an 800 that went off the screen?

*imagines an old man saying, 'Back in MY day, Konrad was an elf, and elves were lawful...'*
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I'll try to fix it then. ;)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
AleximMose

Post by AleximMose »

Woah! I didn't think that I'd get so many replies!

Anyway, in order to upload .8.10, I need to break it into sections, because it's just a bit too big to upload as it is.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Thanks for the binary, penguin - that was fun! :D
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry