make the shadow better?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
bill_murray

Re: erm

Post by bill_murray »

Shade wrote:Let the wraith be the fighting unit. . . Hide a shadow or two around sunset, use the fact that it is invisible to charge a tough foe, pin him, kill him- It will be dark- They will get that bonus. . . The reduced HP mean that the whole line will heal really quickly after dark. . . they will be ready to go again by the next sunset, rinse, repeat. . . they have a stronger backstab then the comperable units from the thief line, they fly, and they are invisible in the dark, and they have high resistance. . . They have fewer HP, and lack ranged. . . It's not a bad deal.

Yeah, i want to try them really soon. But 30xp to get them :S I hope high ghost resistance will make it more easy to upgrade.
Shade

the way it worked out

Post by Shade »

The way it worked out is the the resistance increases were muted by a HP reduction. Still, fewer HP = quick to heal. Quicker healing means more time in the fight, and more time in the fight = more XP. . . Still, if things aren't OK they can be reviewed again- I mean with an average wait of two weeks between releases you're not going to die of old age :)

Personally I'm not sure about the price of the ghost, or the XP it requires, but given the other changes that have gone on with the faction it is probably best for everybody to cool their heels. . . I want to see how they play. . . Right now I'm happy enough with the changes in the Shadow. . . So that alone might make the current ghost worth it.

The 'value' of the ghost isn't only the power of it's current abilities, it's also the potential for gains it can make in the future. I mean at the end of the day, a Walking Corpses future potential is limited, hence they are cheap- - real cheap. . . The ghost, who is a far stronger unit, has two strong diverging paths ahead of it. That is part of the 'value' of the ghost. . .
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
miyo

Re: EP

Post by miyo »

turin wrote:but you don't have backstab all of the time... in fact, you rarely ever have backstab. the nightstalk WILL help it get backstab more, but on battlefronts backstab is rare, and when you get it the unit is as good as dead even without the specialty. So all they'll be good for now is going around in pairs picking off scouts...
So don't use them. We already know you are pretty much against everything :P

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Sangel wrote:This minor change has crippled the Shadow once again. The Wraith is now regaining large amounts of health with each attack due to the new "Spirit" resistance Type, and I'm afraid 7-4 Drain beats 7-3 Backstab any day.
Wraith is the warrior, Shadow is the sneaky unit (this is why backstab suites for them). We are not going to make undead units uber powerful.

7 * 4 = 28
7 * 2 * 3 = 42

Shadow has a lot more potential for finishing units (a bit like horseman with charge) as it can do 14 damage with first hit.

- Miyo
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

miyo wrote: Wraith is the warrior, Shadow is the sneaky unit (this is why backstab suites for them). We are not going to make undead units uber powerful.

7 * 4 = 28
7 * 2 * 3 = 42

Shadow has a lot more potential for finishing units (a bit like horseman with charge) as it can do 14 damage with first hit.

- Miyo
You make a good point with the numbers. I'll have a play with the Shadow to see how well they translate to game power.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
miyo

Post by miyo »

After viewing unit list (http://units.wesnoth.org) I have reverted Shadow and Nightgaunt melee damage reduce. They will still have "only" 3 attacks.

- Miyo