"How to Play..." series Revival Project: Writers' Thread

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

monochromatic

"How to Play..." series Revival Project: Writers' Thread

Post by monochromatic »

Some helpful links: [The main thread], [The original thread]

Hi all,

As you all may know, I want to try to finish the "How to Play..." series. I haven't seen JW around, so...

Anyways, I made this thread so writers can come and help out. In my thread I stated that I would like to not only include the original author's intents about most of the aspects of MP, but Sp as well. So, basically updating the Mainline Campaigns Walkthroughs and strategies for campaigns. The problem is, a lot of this is outdated and disorganized, and I wish to re-organize it and make it up-to-date. I'll be maintaining most of this.

So basically, I desperately need people who are good at English (though I'm born here, English is not a forte of mine) to help edit the prose and tone of the guides that will be going into the strategy guide. I feel (and someone agrees) that the tone should be kept lighter, and more informal so the reader would not be intimidated by the guide. But I really need the thoughts from community on this. So dicuss.

Another thing for discussion is the title of the guide. I'm thinking "How to Play..." would be the title of the entire guide, but it's possible that that title would be only applied the MP relevant parts. But as a title, I've come up (admittedly not the bast) with a couple possible titles:

How to Play...
[Some awesome line, like The Wesnoth Strategy Guide]

The "How to Play..." Series
[The Wesnoth Strategy Guide]

The How to Play Series
[The Wenosth Strategy Guide]

They all sound somewhat awkward, though. Anyone got ideas?

Thanks for reading this; I'd really appreciate your help in this project! ~elvish_sovereign
Hulavuta

Re: "How to Play..." series Revival Project: Writers' Thread

Post by Hulavuta »

How to Play Wesnoth comes to mind. Maybe you should follow the example of Prima?

Battle For Wesnoth, (your last name here)'s Official Strategy Guide
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra