Era of Magic: Drak Blood Alliance

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sur.nhm

Era of Magic: Drak Blood Alliance

Post by sur.nhm »

As promised, some of the DBA's descriptions:

After a long hiatus, I'm back! I'll have some new ones by June 25.
Toad
In the middle of the Jungle of Life lies the Great Bog, dark and marshy. It is said that many a creature make their homes there.
The saurians of the Dark Blood tribe are known to capture and tame the Bog's giant Toads, riding their backs and using them as war elephants of sorts; it is known that they use special lures to make the Toads strike enemies with their long, sticky tongues.
Wyvren
From the marshy lands of the Great Bog hail the bloodthirsty Wyvrens. These majestic beasts of prey, which are said to be the offspring of the great Dragons of old, are captured by the Dark Blood saurians, which use them as shock troopers of sorts. They are subjected to torture by fire, making them even more crazed and bloodthirsty than Nature intended, and released upon the Tribe's mulitple enemies.
Last edited by sur.nhm on June 14th, 2010, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Era of Magic: Drak Blood Alliance

Post by artisticdude »

Quite nice, I like the style of your writing... sophisticated without coming across and being overdone. There are a few things I'd like to point out, however:
sur.nhm wrote:It is said that many a creature make their homes there.
This seems rather irrelevant and choppy, considering the rest of the description.
sur.nhm wrote:using them as mounts, riding their backs
This is rather redundant, imo.
sur.nhm wrote:making them even more crazed and bloodthirsty than what Nature meant
I think it might sound better if you wrote "than Nature intended."
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

sur.nhm wrote:using them as mounts, riding their backs and using them as war elephants of sorts.
It's all very good, perhaps think of a way to reword this though? It seems to me as if it's a somewhat long winded way of saying 'they ride them'. (Obviously you wouldn't write that)

But still, nice. :)
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Here's a new one:
Shaman Adept
If the Dark Blood Tribe is known for something, it's their shamanistic magic. Those saurians who choose to learn it are usually frail of body and unfit to do battle physically. However, their control of water magicks is invaluable in battle, both to heal their allies, and to hurl balls of semi-frozen water at their foes.
johndh

Post by johndh »

Semi-frozen water? :?
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

johndh wrote:Semi-frozen water? :?
Yes. The attack is named 'Waterball', but liquid water dosen't do this much damage (5-4).
Fog

Post by Fog »

I don't think that makes it semi-frozen. I don't think there is such a thing, but WINR.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

A fixed version with the new attack name:
Shaman Adept
If the Dark Blood Tribe is known for something, it's their shamanistic magic. Those saurians who choose to learn it are usually frail of body and unfit to do battle physically. However, their control of water magicks is invaluable in battle, both to heal their allies, and to hurl balls of ice at their foes.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I don't know if you intended to spell it "Magicks" Like having it spelled differently changes its meaning from a trick to "actual" magical powers, (like in Final Fantasy) but if that's not the case, then it's a misspelling.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Hulavuta wrote:I don't know if you intended to spell it "Magicks" Like having it spelled differently changes its meaning from a trick to "actual" magical powers, (like in Final Fantasy) but if that's not the case, then it's a misspelling.
That is no misspelling, it's intended. I've put it there as a synonym-ish for 'spells'.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Corrupted Shaman
Some of the Dark Blood Shamans get corrupted. By who, or what, nobody knows, but it makes them exchange their Water Magic for that of its polar opposite - Fire. They lose their healing abilities, but they don't seem to care, as they say that Fire is inherently supirior to Water.
Whatever corrupts them changes their personalities, too, making them selfish and cruel. As a result, they are shunned from their tribes, which exile them to the heart of the Great Bog. Forced to wander the Bog for years, they usually make their way out and hire themselves to some of the morally bankrupt Tribes.