Lore inconsistency with Mal naming convention

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

monochromatic

Re: Lore inconsistency with Mal naming convention

Post by monochromatic »

But also, remember there is that 'Land of the Dead' thing in DM. Possibly, the liches re-live thousands of years through the Land of the Dead? Who knows.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Random thoughts;

1) If, as is suggested here, Mal is a specific lineage of dark arts- perhaps at some point other lineages (marked by alternate prefixes, suffixes, titles, or whatever) could be explored. Right now it seems like every lich is a Mal. (I've considered putting actions to those words, but working on that particular campaign seems to a death knell for whatever computer I save it on)

2) It's established that heroes that go against Mal Kenshar are obliterated and that he stays holed up. On the other hand, he's perfectly capable of recruiting (read; attracting and teaching) Dark Adepts...
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Random thought about the "Mal" prefix:
In my imagination, the people of Wesnoth always spoke a language similar to Irish Gaelic (it's one of the oldest tongues in the world, and I like the way it flows). Anyways, in that language the word "Mal" means "chief" or "noble"... Assuming I'm right 8) , the Mal prefix would be a claim to rulership of some sort, perhaps over the dead? On a side note, Mal also means "bad" in Spanish (though that one wouldn't make much sense if the liches actually called themselves "Mal-SoandSo").
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

In the languages which evolved from latin (such as French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese), the "mal-" radix comes from the latin words "malus" and "malum", which mean "bad". Also note that "Malin" (as a substantive) in French means "Devil".
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Feufochmar wrote:In the languages which evolved from latin (such as French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese), the "mal-" radix comes from the latin words "malus" and "malum", which mean "bad". Also note that "Malin" (as a substantive) in French means "Devil".
It does, but it's really more of a traditionnal meaning. At least on my side of the atlantic ocean, "Malin" is more used to mean "sly" or "crafty", or something like that, nowadays. That's how I perceive it, at least :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

Dixie wrote:"Malin" is more used to mean "sly" or "crafty", or something like that, nowadays.
That's why I used a majuscule : "le Malin" ("the Devil") has different meaning from "le malin" ("the sly one").
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Oh, sorry, I missed the capital :P nvm me then. :whistle:
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Feufochmar wrote:In the languages which evolved from latin (such as French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese), the "mal-" radix comes from the latin words "malus" and "malum", which mean "bad". Also note that "Malin" (as a substantive) in French means "Devil".
I found an old thread from 2004 somewhere where Turin (creator of EI, and by extension Mal-Ravanal) said that the Mal prefix is connected to the Romance languages, such as mentioned above. Of course, :eng: We can always look at other languages to explain away the Mal prefix prior to that. :)
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!