horsemen & the charge ability

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shroud

horsemen & the charge ability

Post by Shroud »

I think perhaps when the horsemen CHARGE a unit, they should come out on the other side, as they have CHARGED and so have probably done a runby on there horses attacking the enemy unit.

What do you think??
zas

Great idea

Post by zas »

A smell of Dynasty Tactics ;)

If we have more abilities which cause ever allies or enemies to move to another tile, some interesting combinaisons may be possible.
But we need a thing like "wait and do some action when an ennemy come in an adjacent tile", let the player choose what unit should do in that case.
Ie. Unit C is set on Wait and Charge, an ally B "presses" enemy B, forcing it to move one tile in direction opposed to attacker, triggering C "wait and do", which charges ...

A start:
C
B A

A presses B, displacing it one tile away:
C
B<A

B triggers "wait and do" of C
C
B<A

C charges and moves:
B A
C
miyo

Post by miyo »

Running thru enemy units with charge would mean +2 to move (+25 % to move of horseman) and that is quite a lot. How about if enemy was killed with cavalry it occupies the tile where enemy was.

- Miyo
B0rsuk

Post by B0rsuk »

I don't like current charge. 2 times damage for both ? Yes, I know I _MAY_ finish dangerous enemy without scratch, but what about my sugestion:

Charge provides 2x damage for attacker and 1x damage for defender, but attacker has number of attacks halved in next turn and can't charge ?
miyo

Post by miyo »

If you can charge every other turn... that would mean (at the moment) once per 12 hours. I think current rules are better.

Defender inflicting double damage to charger is fine, but maybe defender should have reduced to hit chance (it is not so easy to fight back against charging unit, but if you succeed it can be reather deadly).

Though spears and pikes should have advantage over mounted units... how would that be dealt?

- Miyo
B0rsuk

Post by B0rsuk »

In my opinion Charge ability should be renamed to Backstab. When it works, it finishes enemy in one strike. When it fails, you're in BIG TROUBLE.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Backstab is already on the game .. just reach the level when you get thieves...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think that charging works very well now.

Horsemen do already get a big disadvantage against pikemen and spearmen. Pikemen and spearmen use piercing attacks, and horsemen have weak resistance against piercing attacks.

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote:Pikemen and spearmen use piercing attacks, and horsemen have weak resistance against piercing attacks.
So daggers (piercing damage) are also efficient against cavalry? *grin*

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Daggers are of type 'blade', not 'pierce'...
miyo

Post by miyo »

Miyo takes a hit (again)

- Miyo