Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by doofus-01 »

On to something else. Sometimes, regular villages with snow on top just doesn't seem appropriate. For some of those times, maybe this would work (when it's done, of course)?
I know, it isn't quite isometric, but neither are the drake villages, and they look OK.
I know, it isn't quite isometric, but neither are the drake villages, and they look OK.
snow-villages.png (310.67 KiB) Viewed 6734 times
I also think it would be nice to have underground villages that are not villages, but I'm having some trouble imagining what that would be. A hot-spring maybe.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

a "shelter" in a cave is a place that is dry and not too cold... but don't usually need to provide coverage (since you're underground) So a sort of litter/pelts lying around would probably be the most appropriate...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Very nice igloos, and to me the perspective does not seem wrong either. Just one thing - they seem too big, at least if combined with other houses. I would expect such huts (usually a temporary building used on a long hunting trip or in case of emergency, like bad weather) to be rather smaller than a regular house. The ones in your screenshot are bigger instead...
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lurker wrote:Just one thing - they seem too big, at least if combined with other houses
Good point. I scaled them down a bit. There needs to be a bit more touch ups, but I won't get to it for a while, so I'm just going to put them here.
Attachments
igloos-shot.png
igloos.tgz
(32.12 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

flat-roofed igloos? WINR incarnate :D
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Good job!
I think they cry for a version that is partly molten...
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Square, flat-roofed igloos are a bit too radical for me, and almost seem like something made out of white stone.

All are rendered very nicely, and i'm committing the round ones.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I was trying to go for some variety... Maybe If I made it more clear that they were something like canvas roofs or ... not sure what else.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Some possible refinements you could add after perusing this description of an igloo's construction:
  • a glassy block of ice for light
  • a lowered entrance passage area
  • and a spiral block pattern (may be difficult)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

:hmm: Those would be tiny tweaks to more round things, they wouldn't really give any variety. If inspiration strikes, I'll try something, but for now I move on.
------------------------------------------------
Rope bridges. Parts of this, such as the rope rail, were done very quickly. I just needed something to make sure I could get it to work.
cave-shot6.png
cave-shot6.png (293.3 KiB) Viewed 6031 times
Making a curve whose size depends upon the chasm width would be nice, but not really practical. Is it close enough to have a 1-hex-wide transition, such as at the northwest end of the (incomplete) bridge in the image above?
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

What if it didn't have to be curved? You could make it completely straight and tight. And probably have the rope wind around the pole, and then pegged into the ground to make it tighter.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

doofus-01 wrote:Making a curve whose size depends upon the chasm width would be nice, but not really practical. Is it close enough to have a 1-hex-wide transition, such as at the northwest end of the (incomplete) bridge in the image above?
I don't think that's going to work. Not because of any lack of artistic ability, you understand, but because it's a blatant breach of the laws of physics. It just doesn't look right.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

indeed it looks as if it was lying on some invisible surface a few steps below
on a side note - it's awfully contrasting to the surroundings, perhaps you would be tempted to work on the style presented in one of the abandonned terrain graphics thread, there was such a hanging board bridge started there, looking pretty neat
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

StDrake: Do you refer to this here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 86#p266386 ?
I think it never was improved :|

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

StDrake wrote:on a side note - it's awfully contrasting to the surroundings, perhaps you would be tempted to work on the style presented in one of the abandonned terrain graphics thread, there was such a hanging board bridge started there, looking pretty neat
No, I'll keep my own style, thank you very much.
Crendgrim wrote:StDrake: Do you refer to this here: viewtopic.php?p=266386#p266386 ?
I think it never was improved :|
And it was probably abandoned because of the curve issue. And it needs something of a curve if it won't look like a wooden train track.
Atz wrote:I don't think that's going to work. Not because of any lack of artistic ability, you understand, but because it's a blatant breach of the laws of physics. It just doesn't look right.
Clearly, but breaching the laws of physics is nothing new to Wesnoth. Is this the consensus though: It just doesn't look right?