Ice Age Fun and Japhel's Journey

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mountain_King
Translator

Re: The Ice Age/Ice Age Fun

Post by Mountain_King »

Found the problem. Earlier versions of IAF had Jobath's side always being brown. To counter brown sides coming up, I manually changed the team colors on some teams to other colors. Problem was, the game doesn't recognize "Green" and "Black" to be the same things as "green" and "black." This caused some teams to get what I call the "watermelon affect." Flags are green by default, whereas units are magenta. Thus, watermelon. On the minimap they show up as red, causing confusion. Working on it, though my old computer is starting to worry me...

So, it should be fixed soon, but I can't promise anything. At least it's not game-breaking. :phew:
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Released 1.4.2 on the 1.9 server today, with the following changes:
Remade the map for "The Confrontation," expanding it and giving King Snaga more gold. It should actually be hard now. :P
Fixed resistances for the spy line, which I had not fixed (unlike in the 1.8 release).
Some other miscellaneous bugfixes and updates. If anyone finds something wrong please let me know. :D

Best Regards,
Mountain_King

EDIT: Due to changes in the PICKUPPABLE_ITEM macro, 1.4.2 had game-breaking bugs. It's fixed now, as I have released 1.4.2b, but I am wondering if anyone noticed any other bugs. Keep in mind that the new version will ONLY work on 1.9.5. Management of such a big campaign (across two computers) is starting to get to me, I'm thinking IAF needs to go into UMC-dev sometime soon.

:D Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
JoanRC

Post by JoanRC »

I almost didn't play this scenario because of the blue saurians in the icon. I hate saurians: they're always coming at you from nowhere and they always bring poison. That's so unfair.

But I took a chance and I'm glad I did. I love your sense of humour. I loved the giant lava pit pointing to Madoc, and various similar hints. I really enjoyed the new characters you have, that are different from the mainstream campaigns.

At the scenario where you fight the trolls or pay them, I paid them because I've fought enough trolls in other campaigns. But then I read this thread and discovered you can get kitties here. Kittehs?!?!?! Yes!!! So, I went back after completing the campaign and fought the trolls to get the kittehs.

I'm sure I read a thread here by someone planning to make more campaigns with kitties. I hope that was you.

I didn't rate the campaign because I'm new to this type of game - usually playing point and click games like Myst - so don't usually think all htat deeply about the game play.

Anyway, I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Thanks for playing, JoanRC. I'm glad you liked it. The saurians were in the icon because they looked really cool frozen. :P If you're looking for more things with kitties, Stdrake did make a whole faction of cats. They can be found in the era "Beyond Southern Hells". There aren't any campaigns for them yet though.

Thanks again, and have a great day.
Best Regards,
Mountain_King
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

After about one month, I am finally releasing IAF 1.5.0 for 1.9.5+ BfW ONLY! Many, many cosmetic changes have been made, with more in the works.

Here is the following changes anyone will notice:
The trackplacer will now track the journey for the first six scenarios.
All times you run across King Snaga he will have the same portrait (that rockin' sovereign portrait by LordBob). :)
Ran wmllint about 23 times, fixed many minor things in the code, and also made it so narrator messages all have the wesnoth-icon as their image.
Cut out some unused story images and added some new ones (Thanks Crendgrim!).
Removed the mountain_king track from scenario 18 :cry:
Due to the above two changes, the campaign is about 7 MB smaller.
Renamed the Ice Age People to the "Lucht Oighir." In like fashion, the guys are "Fear Oighir" and the women are "Bean Oighir" Cookies to you if you understand the connection. :eng:
Fixed some other miscellaneous and non-game-breaking bugs.

I also finally prepared the "teaser trailer" for my next campaign. ;) If you have this new version of IAF you can access it as a semi-playable scenario via debug, or simply watch the replay here (Note that either way you must have the latest version of IAF, the replay doesn't work due to custom unit usage w/o it):
Teaser.gz
(8.02 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Chusquero

Post by Chusquero »

Hi, Just to let you know I'm playing again.
I just completed "The Gauntlet" and I'm about to launch (what I think is) the last assault against the bad guy (can't remember ne name, barely remember main characters hehe).

Downloading the next campaign teaser...
Chusquero

Post by Chusquero »

Why? Why u did it!?!

'In the hall of the mountains'... 4 sides wargaming in a single tile... this front jam is overwhelming...
Mountain_King
Translator

Re: Ice Age Fun

Post by Mountain_King »

2 Ways to do it.
1. Sit back and let your allies take care of it.
2. Take the front and shove your allies out of the way.

That scenario still needs some rebalancing, and the number of dwarves really needs to go down. I would tell you I'm working on it right now, but that's not true as of right now. :( If you keep an eye out, I'll be making an important announcement here tomorrow, and I can't say any more but you'll see. ;)

(Yes, and there were undead in the mountain king scenario. Rest assured you will only see them in 2-3 more scenarios for the whole campaign.)

That's all until tomorrow,
Mountain_King
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Chusquero

Post by Chusquero »

Mountain_King wrote:(Yes, and there were undead in the mountain king scenario. Rest assured you will only see them in 2-3 more scenarios for the whole campaign.)
I supose u r talking about the teaser... i downloaded but I'm so dumb and lazy that I couldn't make it work... ll try tonight maybe.
Chusquero

Post by Chusquero »

Aaauch! Any tip for the otherwordly expedition? I tried four times...U made a really hard stage :S

Edited: It is absolutely imposible! I been saving and loading each time I missed a hit and by turn 10 the elvish moron die heroicly outside his keep. This scenario need tons of balancing (recruiting useless troops doesn't help to resist the charge of three endless armies... hate saurians, little green things :augh:
Mountain_King
Translator

Re: Ice Age Fun and Japhel's Journey

Post by Mountain_King »

From what I remember, I can assure you it IS winnable, even on the 1.8 version (which, you are correct, needs much rebalancing). This is the strategy I usually use:
1. Make a mad dash out of the cave with your companion fairy far ahead.
2. When you sight a fairy unit, the leader gets more gold. You get four loyal fairies. Use them to take over the orc grunt's keep, then send them against the orcs/drakes. Oldman and Linaera should be able to hang back among the ranks of allied fairies and be devastating.
3. In the meantime, your hopefully recruiting lots of woses. They get better defense in the swamp so it's good to move them there to keep the saurians at bay.
4. Around turn 8 (?) The enemies get more gold. You should have killed the drake by this time.
5. Mop up.

And also..... (drumroll please)
I am very pleased to announce the release of a NEW campaign by myself. Japhel's Journey version 0.1.5 was released on the 1.9 add-on server a mere 10 minutes ago, along with a new version of IAF. ANY feedback for Japhel's Journey would be kindly directed here.
This version of IAF has the following change:
Entire rebalancing of "To the Caves." The map is now 1/4 in size, so it's much easier. ;)
about:
Oh yeah, and today marks exactly one year since I uploaded IAF and started this topic. Woot! Woot!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Okay, as I did with the original IAF campaign, I also played this one as far as it is done.
I have to say: Great work. You're great at creating nice-to-play campaigns keeping a funny feeling in it ("nom nom nom", "butterfly", the spells [though I couldn't read the second one :( ]). Both of your campaigns are fun to play and I definitely await the continuation of Japhel's Journey. :)
Do not dare to open!:

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Chusquero

Post by Chusquero »

Mountain_King wrote:From what I remember, I can assure you it IS winnable, even on the 1.8 version (which, you are correct, needs much rebalancing). This is the strategy I usually use:
1. Make a mad dash out of the cave with your companion fairy far ahead.
2. When you sight a fairy unit, the leader gets more gold. You get four loyal fairies. Use them to take over the orc grunt's keep, then send them against the orcs/drakes. Oldman and Linaera should be able to hang back among the ranks of allied fairies and be devastating.
3. In the meantime, your hopefully recruiting lots of woses. They get better defense in the swamp so it's good to move them there to keep the saurians at bay.
4. Around turn 8 (?) The enemies get more gold. You should have killed the drake by this time.
5. Mop up.
Can't do it, I neutralize dragon's leader by turn 6-7 but the foes (mainly the remaining dragons) kill the sister or the fairy... In the other shore of the river Jobath is standing alone agaisnt 7 saurians that are attacking me from the castle's keep or healing in villages... Won't play it again, sorry xD

I still think this campaign is awesome, it's just that I will not spend more time trying it.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

@Chusquero: I'm sorry you won't be playing it again, but I understand your point. If/when you get 1.9, I do hope you'll give it another try. There's been lots of changes in the 1.9 version as far as re-balancing goes (especially on that trouble scenario), with more fixes planned. I really appreciate your feedback, because that's how I know what's good and what's bad. :)

Crendgrim wrote:Okay, as I did with the original IAF campaign, I also played this one as far as it is done.
I have to say: Great work. You're great at creating nice-to-play campaigns keeping a funny feeling in it ("nom nom nom", "butterfly", the spells [though I couldn't read the second one :( ]). Both of your campaigns are fun to play and I definitely await the continuation of Japhel's Journey. :)
Do not dare to open!:

Crend
@Crendgrim: I dared to open. :P It looks like I forgot to put the hero death events in this scenario :doh: I'll have to fix it. The second spell is meant to be slightly undecipherable, as it can be a bit of a spoiler on an unrevealed plot point if approached the right way.
I'm glad you like it so far. I'm experimenting with the stuff from a "how to write a story" book that I've had for ~4 years but never really tried out.
Also, I think that the bug with the castles is a mainline bug, in that they're not called "keeps." I'll put a note in the scenario with the next release anyway, so people know there are keeps there.

Plans for next releases of IAF:
Further work on tracking map
More balancing and redesign of the larger maps
Dialogue clean-up
Make the Fairies neutral again until further notice (liminal is going away :cry: )
Translating? (Yes, I forgot. Ice Age Fun has been marked as "translate=true" in this latest version so if people want to translate, they can feel free)

Plans for next release of JJ:
At least two more playable scenarios.
Fix the outlined stuff on "The Dragon" above.
Map? (Yes there is a tracking map made, but the locations aren't fully decided on yet because Jarkko hasn't finished TWL yet [and yes, there's a minor tie-in to that too].)

I think that's about it. It's kind of nice to start fresh with a new campaign again.

Mountain_King is out. Now to get back to Physics. :|
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Kewltist

Post by Kewltist »

I just downloaded IAF on 1.9.6 and found first bug
In "I am Error" Error won't recruit anytheeng at all! He captchoord 4 camps and dats it. :shock:
i'm not shoor wht causes it (canrecruit= yes) but i'm total wml newb =P