Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Zero Changed The Thread's Title Because Zigg Told Him To

Post by Zerovirus »

I don't know what the armored guy is, but he might prove useful for some project or other as a sort of evil knight.
Attachments
Desert_Shaman_New_8.PNG
Desert_Shaman_New_8.PNG (6.64 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
Silence

Post by Silence »

The new Desert Shaman line art looks awesome! (Just curious : what are the Shyde's wings made of? It looks like magical jade/amber or something similar, IMHO. )
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

:shock:
W-Wow... Those are amazing! The Shyde's wings do look like magical Jade, is that supposed to be? Very cool.
Timshel
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Since I was around when the art direction was given, I'll just point everyone asking about what the wings are made of here: http://www.tcpermaculture.com/2011/10/m ... -tree.html

Also, I've pushed your changes into the repository, Zerovirus. Pretty pictures shouldn't have to wait.

Edit: In the category of really stupid feedback, you've used your background colour in the knight's neck and leg. I just want to confirm this is intentional.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I did?

It's not intentional. How did that happen? I guess you could replace all background shades with the dark gray, or something.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Needless to say, these look absolutely great. Your palette choices are excellent.

The shaman's right hand does seems a bit claw-like though, I tried adding a pixel to the inside of the fingers to soften the tradition a bit, although it does change the position of the hand a bit.

And now for some nitpicks on the shyde and sylph (or whatever the upper two levels are called):

1. They both have some darn big feet. Especially considering that they're female, I think you could stand to resize the feet a bit (see attached edit).

2. I think their upper right arms should be in shadow, given that the billowing cloth over their right shoulders would block the light coming from the upper right. I did a one-pixel edit that got rid of the uppermost highlight tone on the upper arm (again, see attached edit).

3. I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing when I look at the highlight on their left legs (right beneath where the skirt ends), but I think it's supposed to be the knee? If so, the upper leg seems a bit short/lower leg seems a bit long compared to the right leg. If it's not the knee I'm seeing, perhaps the highlight could be toned down a bit? I chose to think it wasn't the knee I was seeing, so I toned down the highlights a bit in the edit, but I guess it depends on what you wanted to do there.

4. There seems to be just one little spot of three-tiered banding right at the very end of the lvl 3's glaive pole, right before it connects to the blade. I think it's a product of the outline of the hand melding with the outline of the blade. I edited a single pixel on the halberd shaft using the shaft's highlight color, which makes the shaft appear to thicken a bit just before it connects to the blade. :hmm: Not quite sure that's a good thing, but at least the banding's gone...

Obviously I'm nitpicking about some pretty trivial things here. :razz: When someone tries to make single-pixel edits to your work, you know you're good. But since you mentioned earlier in the thread that you wanted more critique, I thought I'd throw it out there all the same. :)

EDIT: Aplogies for the overly-fast .gif, but GIMP is taking forever to load and Photoshop 8 won't let you change the speed of .gif files. :annoyed: I'll include the still .png edit as well.
Attachments
Desert_Shaman_New_8_edit.png
Desert_Shaman_New_8_edit.png (14.1 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
Desert_Shaman_New_8.gif
Desert_Shaman_New_8.gif (4.17 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I think the top shaman is perfect, but I have a problem with the bottom two: It's standard in a fantasy game to give the characters enormous weapons they couldn't actually lift, let alone wield (especially the scantily-clad female characters), but Wesnoth doesn't follow that stereotype. So, my objection is to the 40-cm-wide blades. These are healers who are going to do very little melee damage, so they should have very small weapons.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I agree, the weapon is IMO too exaggerated. Besides I have a problem with L2 and L3 left leg - it looks like the knee was placed right below the pelvis and whole limb is deformed. But the wings are beautiful.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

beetlenaut wrote:I think the top shaman is perfect, but I have a problem with the bottom two: It's standard in a fantasy game to give the characters enormous weapons they couldn't actually lift, let alone wield (especially the scantily-clad female characters), but Wesnoth doesn't follow that stereotype. So, my objection is to the 40-cm-wide blades. These are healers who are going to do very little melee damage, so they should have very small weapons.
QFT.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I actually agreed and fixed the shaman's spear tips right after I posted them, but I haven't gotten around to implementing artisticdude's leg edits yet. In the meantime have doodles.
Attachments
shiny swordsman.png
shiny swordsman.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
Untrue_Crystal.PNG
Untrue_Crystal.PNG (1.6 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Zero got a new avatar! Exciting! New! Fresh! Check it ou

Post by Zerovirus »

If anyone's curious about what I've been up to, this is some of it!
Silence

Post by Silence »

I really like the 'expansion' sets you've done for your previous sprites!
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Zero, for some reason your most recent picture and the last few on the previous page only show up as "Image" at the top of each post, any idea what gives? (At least for me.)

Also, the Evil Swordsman guy at the top of this page reminds me of kind of a mix between a Power Ranger and the guy on Crysis with a cape, and yet you still manage to make it look frickin' awesome.
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Some of my images are hosted on Majhost, which has been down recently. I'm hoping it comes back online soon. In case it doesn't, though, here's a dropbox version with some new stuff.

(sure i could just host on Wesnoth itself but i'm too lazy to go to full editor instead of quickreply)

Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Also, a skeletal dragon might be nice for some of you guys, since the old skeletal dragon is really badly dated. It's not the exact same as the Fire Dragon- it's missing the forearms- but since this thread's stuff is primarily intended for UMC, who cares?
Attachments
Skeletal_Dragon.PNG
Skeletal_Dragon.PNG (6.56 KiB) Viewed 5005 times