Finnish translation?

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Naeddyr

Finnish translation?

Post by Naeddyr »

Hi, I'm a newcomer to Wesnoth (I haven't played but a small way through HttT and I suck at it), but I'm also Finnish, and am a language-nerd studying linguistics, and a fantasy-literature / folklore geek, a pretty good substitute for a real translator!

Seeing as how the nefarious Swedes (hej då på er då, ni sablars skurkar), I might be able to make some sort of try at translating the most basic things in the game, possibly even working on some of the campaigns as I play them. The current translation seems to be, well, dead of some sort, though still usable, and that's why I was thinking of working on an independent translation which could replace the current one if it ever gets farther than the older one.

If someone could give me a push in the right direction with these weird file-thingies? Oh, and where could I find information on how the translated information is used in the game? Are there are strings where the case of a word might be different in another language, like "[string 1] has defeated [string 2]" (destroyed, vanquished), which could renderin Finnish as "[string 1]-NOM on tuhonnut [string-1]-ACC"? And such translatory thingies.
silene

Re: Finnish translation?

Post by silene »

Naeddyr wrote:Hi, I'm a newcomer to Wesnoth (I haven't played but a small way through HttT and I suck at it), but I'm also Finnish, and am a language-nerd studying linguistics, and a fantasy-literature / folklore geek, a pretty good substitute for a real translator!

Seeing as how the nefarious Swedes (hej då på er då, ni sablars skurkar), I might be able to make some sort of try at translating the most basic things in the game, possibly even working on some of the campaigns as I play them. The current translation seems to be, well, dead of some sort, though still usable, and that's why I was thinking of working on an independent translation which could replace the current one if it ever gets farther than the older one.
No, that is not the way it works. "wesnoth" is 40%-complete, "wesnoth-lib" and "wesnoth-editor" are almost complete. It amounts to 700 translated texts in Finnish. You really don't want to start from scratch. The current maintainer for this language should contact you soon, and you will discuss which parts of the game you want to undertake translation.
Naeddyr wrote:If someone could give me a push in the right direction with these weird file-thingies? Oh, and where could I find information on how the translated information is used in the game? Are there are strings where the case of a word might be different in another language, like "[string 1] has defeated [string 2]" (destroyed, vanquished), which could renderin Finnish as "[string 1]-NOM on tuhonnut [string-1]-ACC"? And such translatory thingies.
http://wesnoth.slack.it/?GettextForTranslators, and possibly http://wesnoth.slack.it/?GettextForWesnothDevelopers
I'm not sure to understand what you mean by the "case of a word". You mean "uppercase" and "lowercase"? I don't think it has ever been a problem.
paxed

Post by paxed »

Hei Naeddyr!

I'm the one you can blame for all the goofs in the finnish translation :)

If you really want to take part in this, email me at paxedÄTaltPISTEorg, and we can talk about how we'll coordinate it between us.
Or you can also reach me on IRC (#wesnoth on irc.freenode.net, my nick is paxed)

-paxed
sanna

Re: Finnish translation?

Post by sanna »

Hej Naeddyr, och välkommen till Wesnoth.
Naeddyr wrote:Seeing as how the nefarious Swedes (hej då på er då, ni sablars skurkar),
As being one of the nefarious Swedes, I hope you will help the finnish translation team rise to the challenge. I would love to see you make a serious effort to compete with us. :wink:
Naeddyr wrote:I might be able to make some sort of try at translating the most basic things in the game, possibly even working on some of the campaigns as I play them. The current translation seems to be, well, dead of some sort, though still usable, and that's why I was thinking of working on an independent translation which could replace the current one if it ever gets farther than the older one.
As silene said, you do not want to start from scratch.
Naeddyr wrote:If someone could give me a push in the right direction with these weird file-thingies? Oh, and where could I find information on how the translated information is used in the game?
The place to start is http://wesnoth.slack.it/?WesnothTranslations. You will find my address there if you have any more specific questions.
Naeddyr wrote:Are there are strings where the case of a word might be different in another language, like "[string 1] has defeated [string 2]" (destroyed, vanquished), which could renderin Finnish as "[string 1]-NOM on tuhonnut [string-1]-ACC"? And such translatory thingies.
If noun case would turn out to be a problem for finnish, due to your large number of such, there are ways to work around this, by f ex prefixing strings to be translated. There is no general system to deal with this, however, since the need has not arisen, but it would be dealt with on a string-by-string basis. Currently such work-arounds are in place to deal with f ex gender agreement on adjectives.
Reno

Post by Reno »

Mind if i join in the Finnish translation team?
Circon

Post by Circon »

I suppose no translator ever minds new faces helping.

Welcome over from CFC, Reno!

-Erik, Norwegian translator