Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: ITS TIME FOR FRANKENSPRITES

Post by Zerovirus »

Messin' around and trying out painting with just the mouse.
Attachments
sungod_color.png
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

I hate the style/genre, but that looks really impressive!

I like the word "impressive"! It's great because it sounds likes something "impresses" you which is something that i think is very tangible, quite easy to feel & to refer to others; but for some reason many other people use some stupid other words in its stead, like "sublime", like what does that even mean, why would you ever use it instead of just "good", it doesn't really add anything important, it's like what a self-important below average intelligent primary school kid would look up from a thesaurus - but "impressive" is different. I don't think there's some experience that immediately comes to mind with "good", it's just a very very general tag with which you evaluate stuff, but "impressive" has this really good experience closely tied to it.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Messin' around and trying out painting with just the mouse.
I can't even imagine doing this with a mouse :shock: :lol2: I highly recommend getting a cheap-o tablet (I use a medion I bought from Aldi most of the time), they are around $50. With your skill level it would be a good investment.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Zero's art

Post by Zerovirus »

Just some units which might be useful for UMCs.
Attachments
greenies.PNG
greenies.PNG (8.65 KiB) Viewed 7811 times
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

that lower soldier seems to be missing a sword arm. are you moving towards realism in spriting? :) a one-armed hero for a umc would be cool imo.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

tr0ll wrote:that lower soldier seems to be missing a sword arm. are you moving towards realism in spriting? :) a one-armed hero for a umc would be cool imo.
That lower soldier seems to be a partial base for the soldier directly above him, especially given his incomplete shading.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I really like the dynamic pose of the swordsman third from the right- would love to see what that one looks like when finished. :D
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Recolored the green guys with the palette Blarumyrran used for the dragon and added a few more sprites.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Really nice, I especially like the top two - they look kind of like Samurai. The alternate helmet by the colour palette is very cool. I like the priest type unit at the bottom too, even if I struggle to see how he could keep his head upright will all that metal atop it ;-)
AfterDawn

Post by AfterDawn »

Wow, this stuff us pretty cool. Especially since I started at the first page and then jumped over here. The difference is rather staggering.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Hey, I took two of your sprites (one was meant to be some kind of elvish mage and another one was meant to be a spearman/halberdier), slightly edited them to fit the roles needed more and animated them (low-fi animations, though), and used them in my campaign. I suppose the stuff here is free to take, but notifying you anyway. Origins will be mentioned.
female.gif
female.gif (11.25 KiB) Viewed 7334 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Dugi: your animation needs return frames, and maybe another slash frame. Also, a motion like that would result in some movement of the feet. Her right (our left) left led would twist slightly in the direction of the swing, and her back leg extend to keep balance.
Last edited by vultraz on March 13th, 2013, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Awesome, good luck on your project Dugi.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Awesome stuff. . The attention to detail is those sprites is amazing. :shock:

If I'm understanding it right, you aren't really working on any project, just messing around?
I'm kinda surprised no project tried to recruit you with your level of talent.

Or have they tried but failed?
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Well, there's this.

But yeah, I'm kinda surprised that you aren't completely swamped in commissions given the quality of your art. :P