Custom terrain letters

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I would like to put in a request to reserve the letter U for ruined castle. I did some graphics a while ago (pre server death) and I am in the process of both resurecting and improving those graphics as well as creating the WML needed to make them look good (ie, not have every sw corner look identical but rather have a mix of unruined-towers and walls as well as a few variations of ruins.) Of course, the WML could also serve as a model for people looking to make other types of castles that are not as uniform as the current one.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Darth Fool wrote:I would like to put in a request to reserve the letter U for ruined castle.
Ops, I just commited new gfx which among others uses U. There are still letters available though. I'll update the table.

When the modifier stuff gets in custom gfx will get it's own modifier and have the whole ascii set to choose from.

EDIT: table updated:
http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~haskjold/wesnot ... tters.html
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Well, it doesn't have to be U, since whoever checks in the stuff (If accepted) could modify the letter to fit in, but I don't think it is really something that should have a modifier in front of it (I am not planning on doing a whole "ruined" tileset. I don't even know what a ruined mountain would look like ;) I chose U since r,R,and u where already taken, U is at least part of the major sound of ruin, and it even has some picto-graphic significance. I suppose N might work as well. If I know in advance I can save the person who has to look at it having to make changes in several spots.
freim

Post by freim »

Darth Fool wrote:Well, it doesn't have to be U, since whoever checks in the stuff (If accepted) could modify the letter to fit in, but I don't think it is really something that should have a modifier in front of it (I am not planning on doing a whole "ruined" tileset.
You don't have to make a whole set of anything :) . It just means that a specific modifier is reserved for custom content. Thus there should be more more than enough letters available for custom content, and you don't have to be concerned about conflicts with the standard tile set.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

The problem is, if there are only a few terrain types associated with a particular modifier, than it forces people who wish to use that terrain set to switch to the two letter map system. Clearly people mixing different types of climates in their terrain can expect to have to deal with this, but I was hoping to avoid it for the ruins. but, if it has to be, it has to be.

On a side note, I noticed a graphical glitch where keep walls run into castle walls (both in the standard castle graphics and in my ruins based on them). Unfortunately, I don't have a picture (I try to do all my Wesnothing on my home computer.) I tried playing with the position variables for the castle and they seemed to have no effect at all. Is this a known problem? If not, I can compile a more careful description and picture tonight and post it tomorrow. There is always the possibility that I am just misinterpreting something.
freim

Post by freim »

Darth Fool wrote:The problem is, if there are only a few terrain types associated with a particular modifier, than it forces people who wish to use that terrain set to switch to the two letter map system.
You've already used x,y,z then? Use "Q" in addition then fx.

About the gfx glitch, a screenshot would be nice.
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

If 'x' has been officially designated for custom use, it should be noted at the end of data/terrain.cfg, where 'y' and 'z' are mentioned.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
freim

Post by freim »

Invisible Philosopher wrote:If 'x' has been officially designated for custom use, it should be noted at the end of data/terrain.cfg, where 'y' and 'z' are mentioned.
Forgot about it, I'll add it in.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Updated the Wiki page.
Shade

I recall the ruined castle tile set

Post by Shade »

Darth Fool: I recall the ruined castle tile set. I really liked it, and I can think of several uses for it in TRoW and HttT... Ahh, the good old days when the dwarven doors looked like it had a war fought over them... If these get done to the point where the art folks are satisfied with them (and you can post the modified terrain.cfg) I'd lobby heavily for their inclusion :)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
freim

Post by freim »

I updated the wiki with the missing desert tiles.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

A ruined castle would be wonderful, it sometimes looks a bit odd to have these pristine castles in the wilderness. A ruined castke might also make a good base for certain undead forces.
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

It appears that the hills village and hills (snow) village characters are missing in the Wiki ('a' and 'A' respectively). I haven't had a chance to update to 0.8.9 yet; have they been removed, or should I add them to the Wiki?
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Quensul wrote:It appears that the hills village and hills (snow) village characters are missing in the Wiki ('a' and 'A' respectively). I haven't had a chance to update to 0.8.9 yet; have they been removed, or should I add them to the Wiki?
These are still in 0.8.9. I didn't add them because they are labelled as "temporary" symbol images and I was unsure if they were about to change.
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

ott wrote: These are still in 0.8.9. I didn't add them because they are labelled as "temporary" symbol images and I was unsure if they were about to change.
Ah, okay. I was just checking that Wercator could support all the new and old terrain letters, and noticed they were missing. :-)