useful Perl support scripts

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ott
Inactive Developer

useful Perl support scripts

Post by ott »

Several useful Perl scripts have been posted to the forum to date. Here are pointers to these scripts in one convenient place, for reference. Perhaps some of these tools are sufficiently useful to be included in wesnoth/src/tools ? wercator is definitely a significant contribution, one that I think many people would like to see as part of the official distribution.
  • wercator - convert standard maps to "bigmap" images, by Quensul
    scenario_follower - show scenario summaries for a campaign, by Darth Fool
    dr - damage report generator, by ott
    st - savefile statistics summarizer, by ott
    tagfind - find WML tags used in game files, together with their attributes, by ott
    revmaph/revmapv - flip map file horizontally or vertically, by ott
(Note to moderator: I'm not sure this forum is the right one for this topic; please move it to another forum if you feel it would be appropriate.)
scott

Post by scott »

Also please add them to the wiki
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
silene

Post by silene »

Just a reminder, they have to be GPL-ed to be included in the official distribution (if it's already the case, forget about this remark).

I'm all for keeping this kind of useful resources around. We already have a fortune file, why not an extended tool repository... But we will have to find a way to identify/document them: some of the tools already present in the distribution could be completely deprecated and we don't know about it. For example, I removed from 0.8.9 some tools that had not been used for 6 monthes (and were completely irrelevant to Wesnoth as it is now standing). I fear this situation is bound to happen again.

As for the correct forum, maybe the developer one?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It's not a perl script (perhaps someone should port it), but dacyn's C++ map rotater is pretty useful.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

silene wrote:Just a reminder, they have to be GPL-ed to be included in the official distribution (if it's already the case, forget about this remark).
Wercator, at least, has been GPL'd since v0.1.
scott wrote:Also please add them to the wiki
I was planning on adding a reference to Wercator and a link to its website when I release 0.3 this weekend, but I'm not sure where. Candidates appear to be:

Building Campaigns looks to be the best fit, although there are other likely places:

User Scenarios: the tagline includes "game modifications", but it's really a campaign list.

Building Maps: Wercator creates graphical maps, but doesn't have anything to do with creating scenario maps.

Building Scenarios, tho this is mostly WML-centric.

Or maybe Wesnoth Graphics, but this is pretty much an icon list.
Anyone have an opinion about where the heck it should go? :-)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Anyone have an opinion about where the heck it should go? :-)
In a new page, entitled "External Wesnoth Utilities".
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Done. ott, I just copied the list from your post and fleshed it out a bit. If you'd like to expand them, the descriptions of your scripts are a bit sparse; I haven't used any of them personally.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Quensul wrote:
Done. ott, I just copied the list from your post and fleshed it out a bit. If you'd like to expand them, the descriptions of your scripts are a bit sparse; I haven't used any of them personally.
"All are not perl scripts"? Yes they are... they won't be if you list Dacyn's rotation function, but currently they all are.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

turin wrote: "All are not perl scripts"? Yes they are... they won't be if you list Dacyn's rotation function, but currently they all are.
Whups, it was late, and I was simultaneously releasing Wercator 0.3 - missed that; it's now listed.