Wesnoth.po translation and multiplayer maps names

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Hello,

Wesnoth 1.13.7: Development Release.

As translators, we have a problem with 1.13 version that we had not with 1.12 one.

At wesnoth.po file you can translate prefix and suffix in order to generate random names in multiplayer random maps (lines 445 to 462 in wesnoth.po file - editing with poedit).

The problem is that we cannot translate base words like we could in 1.12 version, and now, in 1.13 random generated maps, in multiplayer, you can read geographic names, with Spanish prefix and suffix, and English base, that is not accurate.

It would be very useful to add base names at wesnoth.po file in order to you could translate them too.

Thanks for help,

Pepe (Wesnoth Spanish maintainer)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Note: Perhaps there are base names for map names in wesnoth.po but i coudn't see them. Help needed to know at what line is it, please.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Wesnoth.po translation and multiplayer maps names

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

If I understand correctly, the strings you need to translate are these strings, right? (The syntax for it is described [wiki=Context-free grammar]here[/wiki].) I just quickly checked the wesnoth.pot, and those strings are definitely present (or at least, the first of them is present).

EDIT: On second thoughts, I guess you might actually be referring to these strings... they are still in the wesnoth.pot, but there's no hint to indicate what they really are. I'll go add some po-comments so that they can be found easier after the next pot-update.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Wesnoth 1.13.8: Development Release.

What i mean is that in wesnoth.po file Id. 351 you have english base names like:

Bal,Cam,Corn,Del,Earl,El,Fox,Fren,Gel,Hel,Hex,Hol,Hox,Il,Kin,Nam,Nes,New,Ol,Old,Olf,Oul,Ox,Rock,Rook,Sal,Sam,Sed,Sel,Sen,Sil,Tal,Water,Wet,York

and you can translate them like you did with wesnonth 1.12 version:

Altos,Almas,Alisos,Años,Arcos,Asnos,Barbos,Barcos,Baños,Bastos,Bolos,Búhos,Bulos,Cameros,Cañas,Casas,Cercos,Cirros,Coles,Cominos,Copas,Cimas,Dagas,Daños,Dolores,Dunas,Enanos,Elfos,Fangos,Fatigas,Fosos,Fríos,Frutos,Gamos,Gatos,Gentes,Hadas,Helados,Hilos,Humanos,Humos,Hongos,Iluso,Inane,Jaras,Jotas,Justas,Lanzas,Lances,Lilas,Lindes,Linos,Lobos,Locos,Lunas,Magos,Malos,Matas,Mesas,Mirtos,Mirlos,Mulas,Nagas,Nabos,Nogales,Nevadas,Olores,Olmos,Orcos,Oro,Osos,Palos,Patos,Peces,Pecos,Peras,Picos,Pinares,Piñas,Raíces,Ranas,Reyes,Rocas,Rosas,Sales,Salmones,Santos,Secos,Setos,Setas,Sapos,Silos,Simas,Soles,Sustos,Silvanos,Sirenas,Tejos,Tilos,Tocones,Topos,Tortas,Talentos,Vacas,Varas,Vides,Viñas,Vistas,Zarza,Zorros,Zumos,Zotes

and when you generate random names in multiplayer random maps you have not the base names translated in 1.13 version like you did with 1.12 ones. The names generated are a mix of english and spanish ones that are not accurate.

Perhaps there are another base names that i have not found.

Thanks for help,

Last edited by Pepe on May 23rd, 2017, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Those base names are effectively deprecated and no longer used. Instead, the game uses this string to generate the names. There are also similar strings for the race names.
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Wesnoth 1.13.8: Development Release.

Ok.

This is what i have done:

I had to thanslate id: 352 in wesnoth.po

main={prefix}{middle}{suffix}
prefix=B|C|D|E|F|Fr|Wat|G|H|K|N|O|R|S|T|W|Y|Ro
middle=a|e|o|u|i
suffix=l|m|rn|x|w|ld|ck|k|rk

And i did it like this:

main={prefix}{middle}{suffix}
prefix=Al|Ar|Es|Vil|Or|Car|Mon|Bar|Ol|Alb|An|Ll|Alc|Cas|Tor|Ab|Val|Alm|Ben|Sal|Cor
middle=a|e|o|u|i
suffix=ra|la|na|da|lla|sa|ta|lo|te|ro|les|do|za|res|nes|ca|llo|ga|no|ña|go|ja|va|las|ria|ros|ras|co|ba|re

I had to get a list of all real life spanish villages names and select the 30 more common prefix and suffix (2 and 3 characters) and use then to fix the translation.

Now random multiplayer maps renerate pseudo spanish names with no sense but with spanish sound.

i dont know if other language translators could use same fix.

Thanks for help,

CloudiDust
Translator

Post by CloudiDust »

I believe the old style generator strings can be directly transformed to the new style.

The old style

Code: Select all

Alice,Bob,Carol,Dave,...
can now be

Code: Select all

main=Alice|Bob|Carol|Dave|...
I used this in the Simplified Chinese translation for some new original strings (as in, transforming the old translated strings directly into "translations" of the new original strings), as the Chinese language doesn't work quite like the western ones. ;)

(The new style strings are generation rules, and you don't have to exactly mirror the patterns of rules in the original strings. As long as your translations are valid rules, the game would be able to correctly use them.)
CloudiDust, the Simplified Chinese translation maintainer.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

While what you say is correct, that won't produce the same results in the new style as it would have in the old style. With the old style, Alice,Bob,Carol,Dave,... generates a name that is similar to the names in the list; it often produces names that aren't actually on the list. However, with the new style, main=Alice|Bob|Carol|Dave|... just picks one of the names from that list. If that's what you want, then fine; but I wouldn't recommend doing it for most translations.
CloudiDust
Translator

Post by CloudiDust »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:While what you say is correct, that won't produce the same results in the new style as it would have in the old style. With the old style, Alice,Bob,Carol,Dave,... generates a name that is similar to the names in the list; it often produces names that aren't actually on the list. However, with the new style, main=Alice|Bob|Carol|Dave|... just picks one of the names from that list. If that's what you want, then fine; but I wouldn't recommend doing it for most translations.
TIL, thanks. And yeah I think some Chinese-specific generation rules would be better than directly using the old translations anyway and I am working on them, though those rules would still not map one-to-one to the English rules.
CloudiDust, the Simplified Chinese translation maintainer.