Wesnoth 0.8.10

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

carlec wrote:Dumb newbie question---Can I play my current game of Heir to the Throne that I started in 8.9?
Everything should work fine in most cases. We don't do thorough analysis or testing of loading saved games from previous versions, but we do use a data format that is fairly resilient to changes, and we will note in the changelog if there is something that will definitely break all old saves.

There are of course going to be idiosyncracies such as e.g. if we made scenario x easier, and scenario x+1 harder to compensate, and you have a saved game made at the start of scenario x+1, you will get the raw end of the deal, since you'll be having to play the harder version of both scenarios.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
carlec

Post by carlec »

Cool. THank you for the quick reply as I can try to take the Siege on again tonight. :D
Yes, I'm new here--be kind. :)
sanna

Post by sanna »

carlec wrote:Dumb newbie question---Can I play my current game of Heir to the Throne that I started in 8.9?

When I started the game, all was well, but when I went to load, I got a warning dialog that "this was from a previous version." So, I didn't play, somewhat worried that either the changes (whatever they might be---I'm on the Siege of whatever game) would not take or the overall impact on the whole campaign (which I realize was the bigger deal with the scenario that would not load).

What say ye? I'd prefer not to have to start over, but. . .
Usually start of scenario saves work fine. Just try it. :)