Theives

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Naylaen

Theives

Post by Naylaen »

I was looking at the theif unit and couldin't help but notice that it has only 6 move speed!

I compared its movement rates to the duelist and found that the duelist moves faster, why is this? They both are not wearing armor and both value speed.

I'm guessing this is a design decision, or maybe overlooked.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The duelist is a second level unit. You'll note that the fencer only moves 6.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Story internal: thieves have about the movement that you would expect from a fast foot unit. They are light, but they can only run so fast, and obviously can't move as fast as horse units, which have usually 8-10 over open ground.

Story external: the thief already has two advantages (elusive foot, backstab, and you could also count cheap\low XP), so giving them a third advantage would overpower them.
Naylaen

Post by Naylaen »

Well, they already have some pretty heavy penalties to their armor, so I was thinking that it would be a fair deal to have a movement speed that matches what everyone else got for using no (or very little) armor.

But I guess my view was a bit skewed because I was using them in groups to backstab the AI, so it made me figure they should get the move speed of other units that forgo armor.

But then again the fencer only gets to move at the same speed as a rogue so i'm guessing that using no armor does not result in faster movement speed.

I just wanted to see a group of rogues swarming in and stabbing the enemy to little pieces!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Generally, heavily armored infantry moves at a speed of 4 (Heavy Infantry, Dwarvish Fighters).

Moderately armored infantry moves at a speed of 5 (Spearmen, Elvish Fighters, etc).

Lightly armored infantry moves at a speed of 6 (Elvish Archers, Thieves, etc).

A few exceptionally fast foot units might have a speed of 7, however they are definitely the exception. Movement this fast is usually reserved for mounted or flying units, especially since a 'quick' unit of this type can move a stunning 8.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming