Has anybody compiled an OSX 8.11?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The Bishop

Has anybody compiled an OSX 8.11?

Post by The Bishop »

Would greatly appreciate it if you pmed me with a file.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Patience. Sithrandel usually compiles the OS X version on the Monday or Tuesday after the source code is released. It'll be available from Downloads as normal when it is ready.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I managed to compile it, but it is 42.5MB, far too big for a PM.

And Sithrandel will have his build (which will undoubtebly be far better than my build, since he actually knows C++, and the fact that my build gave me 100+ warnings) on Sourceforge pretty soon.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

I compiled it on "development" mode to see if it would work. (compiles quickly, runs slow) I'm about to compile it in deployment mode (runs fast, compiles slow), but I'm guessing Sith's version will be available before my computer finishes compiling. (my computer takes a few hours to compile in deployment mode)

BTW, I wouldn't assume that Sith's version doesn't also generate 100 warnings...
scott

Post by scott »

I think any of us compiling with XCode would get the same warnings, including Sithrandel. He doesn't go in and change the source so XCode doesn't complain about data type conversions and whatnot.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
sanna

Post by sanna »

Adding -Wno-sign-compare to the Other C Compiler flags will cut out most of those warnings. This flag suppresses the warnings for comparisons signed/unsigned integer.
scott

Post by scott »

That would be a good flag to put in the xcode project file for official distributions. (his ears must be really burning about now)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

Hah! To think I gave up trying to compile it because I got so many warnings in XCode!

Shame I didn't know more about the nature of the warnings. I'll have to give it another go.

A couple of hours to compile...what machine are you using, rogue?
rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

Star Gazer wrote: A couple of hours to compile...what machine are you using, rogue?
400Mhz G3. I also change the default settings a bit, such optimizing with O3 instead of Os, but I do not know if that has much effect on compile time.
derb

Post by derb »

It's kinda anti-social to move the server to 8.11 only before all the ports are ready... Is there a server for Mac users in the meantime?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

derb wrote:It's kinda anti-social to move the server to 8.11 only before all the ports are ready... Is there a server for Mac users in the meantime?
No. I also think that this is rather not-so-good... it could be possible to run two servers during a transition, I suppose...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

It is possible for the ports to NEVER be ready. They are volunteer contributions in NO WAY connected with the official project on a logical basis. There is no guarantee that there will ever be a binary for your OS. If the volunteer decides to quit, there is no burden on the project personnel to ever find another.

I said logical basis because in reality at least 2 developers actually do provide binaries for windows and linux, but as volunteers. After that, the delay is due to sourceforge mirrors taking a long time to update. The remedy for that is for someone to volunteer bandwidth. I would say making the whole thing free is plenty social.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Thank you for clarifying things so eloquently for people who don't seem to understand how Wesnoth development works, scott.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
derb

Post by derb »

Note: 8.11 for MacOS is now available...