The best operating system for Wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wesnoth_Immortal

The best operating system for Wesnoth

Post by Wesnoth_Immortal »

Hi,

what is in your opinion the best OS to run Wesnoth on? (And why)
I could find a thread about what OS is used in general (viewtopic.php?t=46599&start=60) but not such a thread like this one.

Wesnoth_Immortal
gnombat

Re: The best operating system for Wesnoth

Post by gnombat »

First, I would recommend playing Wesnoth on a desktop operating system (Windows, Linux, macOS) rather than a mobile OS. Although there are Android and iOS ports of Wesnoth, neither of them is an official release and both of them are currently old and outdated.

Among desktop operating systems, in most cases it does not make much difference which one you choose, so you should probably just use whichever OS you prefer. I have used the Windows and Linux versions myself and there is not much difference between them. In a previous discussion I compared the Windows and Linux versions of Wesnoth, but note that it was written in 2018, so some things have changed since then. In particular, there is now an official Flatpak version, so you may find that useful if you want to run Wesnoth on Linux. (But many people still just use whatever version is packaged with their Linux distro.)