Unit Balance changes 1.16 → 1.18

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kawa

Unit Balance changes 1.16 → 1.18

Post by Kawa »

Greetings everyone,

I am new to this forum, but I have been playing Wesnoth in single player for quite some time.

With the release of version 1.18 just a few months away (as per the roadmap found at https://wiki.wesnoth.org/1.17_Roadmap), I am interested in the upcoming unit changes. I enjoy comparing files and hope I am not interfering with the developers or the balance team in any way with this post.

The current status of this is version 1.17.23 (28 Nov. 2023):

DRAKES lvl1
Spoiler:
DRAKES lvl2
Spoiler:
DUNEFOLK lvl1
Spoiler:
DUNEFOLK lvl2
Spoiler:
KNALGAN ALLIANCE lvl1
Spoiler:
KNALGAN ALLIANCE lvl2
Spoiler:
LOYALISTS lvl1
Spoiler:
LOYALISTS lvl2
Spoiler:
NORTHERNERS lvl1
Spoiler:
NORTHERNERS lvl2
Spoiler:
REBELS lvl1
Spoiler:
REBELS lvl2
Spoiler:
UNDEAD lvl1
Spoiler:
UNDEAD lvl2
Spoiler:
Last edited by Kawa on December 14th, 2023, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Unit Balance changes 1.16 → 1.18

Post by Ravana »

I find this format quite useful. Most of the resistance changes affect higher levels too.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Beautiful chart. And in Christmas colours to boot. ; )

I know the undead best so I'll confine myself to commenting on them. The L1 XP changes seem dead on. Ghouls are too hard to level while skelly's are too easy. I see it over and over. As for the resists well those are trickier to assess. IIRC arcane is actually mostly suffered by the UD in mirror matches from enemy DA's. So it may mainly help skelly's resist those insta nuking L2 mages. The smaller changes of 10% probably don't count for too much.
Kawa

Post by Kawa »

Thank you. It is almost Christmas. :)

I am not experienced enough to evaluate level 2 to 3 changes. However, due to the significant reduction in XP, I may encounter a level 3 character in multiplayer in the future, which I like.

I also prefer playing the Undead and am interested in seeing how the Arcane resistance changes will fare against the Dark Adepts. Additionally, playing against Cavalryman will become more interesting.
Although I favour the Undead faction, I sometimes feel limited in my options. In my opinion, the changes to the Undead faction could provide more diverse gameplay.
In the end, though, you're probably right, that the most significant changes will be noticeable in the Undead Mirror matches.

Furthermore, balancing the factions by changing the XP is an exciting and thoughtful approach.
I am eagerly anticipating the release of version 1.18 to try out the new changes. Many thanks to the developers!
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

IMHO balancing via xp/gold cost changes is better than changing stats. Stat changes tend to reign in interesting units and make them more generic. Using the cost as a handicap allows for a diversity of units.

The core unit changes will also affect (somewhat indirectly) custom addon eras since most of them are playable vs the core. e.g. all the custom eras with L1 units that have arcane will sure have a tougher time with core skeletons now. Of course this change has no effect whatsoever on custom skeleton units based on core skeletons unless they are using base units.